German Xmas Markets

  • 168 Views
  • Last Post 03 September 2016
Flahute posted this 02 September 2016

We want to take the kids over for a weekend during December and was wondering if anyone could suggest one city over another in this regard.

 

 

  • Liked by
  • Areola Grandee
18 Comments
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Rallyboy posted this 02 September 2016

Dresden used to have a good lights show.

  • Liked by
  • saintbletch
Won Ton posted this 02 September 2016

Not Germany, but I enjoyed the Brussels Christmas market when I went there a few years ago.

Goatboy posted this 02 September 2016

Another vote for Brussels. Cheap hotels at the weekends, Chocolate, beer and creepy vintage fairground rides. Outdoor skating, hot wine and cheese. Can't go wrong.

Saint or sinner posted this 02 September 2016

My parents go a lot, so have asked and Cologne is their destination of choice for Christmas markets. Apparently there are 6 different ones, that are all slightly different and within walking distance of each other, plus your in a major city with other sites and things to do.

Areola Grandee posted this 02 September 2016 - Last edited 02 September 2016

Lived over there as a kid... being an army brat an all... loved the smell of ginger bread, Gluwein, and bratwurst cooking on charcoal... fantastic stuff... great OP post as made me think this might be a greta treat for the family as well... must be 35 years since I last went to a real one.

 

The New Chutters: family friendy 

  • Liked by
  • Cobham Saint
  • Sadoldgit
lifeintheslowlane posted this 02 September 2016

Southampton's traditional German Christmas market methinks.lou_wink2

StickyWhiteDovePiss posted this 02 September 2016

Köln, Dresden and Nürnberg are three of the biggest. Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a quaint little town famous for its all year round Christmas experience. It's a bit of a tourist trap though and full of old biddies. A nice alternative to the Christmas markets are the mittelaltermarkts (market of the middle ages) lots of people dressed up as pirates and warriors swords and leather goods for sale. There is a nice one in Esslingen am Neckar near Stuttgart at Christmas. Esslingen is a pretty little town but not much going on apart from the market. If you've not been I'd probably recommend Köln. Gay capital of Germany. Biggest brothel in Germany. Drinking kölsch beer seems stupid at first but if the waiter is any good it's actually a great way to drink.

  • Liked by
  • Areola Grandee
Cobham Saint posted this 02 September 2016

Originally posted by lifeintheslowlane

Southampton's traditional German Christmas market methinks.lou_wink2

 Was just going to suggest that.

Blindfold the kids. Drive them around for about 7 hours and hey presto Soton-am-der See!

On a more serious note, Koln is very good. Make sure you take in the Cathedral.

 

 

 

Saint or sinner posted this 02 September 2016

Originally posted by StickyWhiteDovePiss

Köln, Dresden and Nürnberg are three of the biggest. Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a quaint little town famous for its all year round Christmas experience. It's a bit of a tourist trap though and full of old biddies. A nice alternative to the Christmas markets are the mittelaltermarkts (market of the middle ages) lots of people dressed up as pirates and warriors swords and leather goods for sale. There is a nice one in Esslingen am Neckar near Stuttgart at Christmas. Esslingen is a pretty little town but not much going on apart from the market. If you've not been I'd probably recommend Köln. Gay capital of Germany. Biggest brothel in Germany. Drinking kölsch beer seems stupid at first but if the waiter is any good it's actually a great way to drink.

 Your last few sentences might not be what Flahute's other half and kids are looking for. Never know though, what a surprise lou_facepalm2

  • Liked by
  • Cobham Saint
Areola Grandee posted this 02 September 2016

Originally posted by Cobham Saint

Originally posted by lifeintheslowlane

Southampton's traditional German Christmas market methinks.lou_wink2

 Was just going to suggest that.

Blindfold the kids. Drive them around for about 7 hours and hey presto Soton-am-der See!

On a more serious note, Koln is very good. Make sure you take in the Cathedral.

 

 

 

 Tsk.. would just be Soton-am-See (because this is dative (i think) so the 'an dem' can be shortened to 'am'

 

The new Chutters ; Fucking pedant

  • Liked by
  • Cobham Saint
  • PhilippineSaint
steveintheforest posted this 02 September 2016

Originally posted by lifeintheslowlane

Southampton's traditional German Christmas market methinks.lou_wink2

 or any other city in the UK's, traditional German Christmas market

  • Liked by
  • Saint or sinner
  • Cobham Saint
Cobham Saint posted this 02 September 2016 - Last edited 02 September 2016

Originally posted by Chutney Ferret

Originally posted by Cobham Saint

Originally posted by lifeintheslowlane

Southampton's traditional German Christmas market methinks.lou_wink2

 Was just going to suggest that.

Blindfold the kids. Drive them around for about 7 hours and hey presto Soton-am-der See!

On a more serious note, Koln is very good. Make sure you take in the Cathedral.

 

 

 

 Tsk.. would just be Soton-am-See (because this is dative (i think) so the 'an dem' can be shortened to 'am'

 

The new Chutters ; Fucking pedant

 Oh, pedant. Misread that as "Fucking paedo"

 

lou_wink

  • Liked by
  • PhilippineSaint
Rallyboy posted this 03 September 2016

Never go to Lincoln Christmas Market.

There were about three million people there and we were all kettled up a footpath between the stalls - a ridiculous event.

Areola Grandee posted this 03 September 2016 - Last edited 03 September 2016

Originally posted by steveintheforest

Originally posted by lifeintheslowlane

Southampton's traditional German Christmas market methinks.lou_wink2

 or any other city in the UK's, traditional German Christmas market

 Sadly the UK ones all seem to be bad pastiche - slighty tacky  even - often stalls selling the  cheap shite they sell all year round only now they are doing it from inside a B+Q shed and are wearing a fucking Santa Hat.... as well as being over crowded.

For some reason most seem to shut at 6pm ( probably because that's when the local nightlife will start comming out and office party fuckwits and there is nowt that quite captures the real spirit of Christmas than Janice from accounts spewing in the gutter  knickers round her ankles, whilst Josh from accounts tries to take her from behind having punched his boss earlier in the evening.. Again).

Seriously,  nothing in the UK has on the real atmosphere. 

Go to A smaller town in Germany, or Austria and experience the real thing.

Sfcsim posted this 03 September 2016

Brussels was a great market, but my favourite was Bruge. Really lovely place, but you could only get a few days out of it, as you run out of things to do. 

Now I would love to do a German one, but could not narrow down as they have so many great ones. 

Rallyboy posted this 03 September 2016

When Papworld the theme park opens we should do a Christmas special - get a couple of lurchers wearing antlers, dot a few trees about, sit on Goat's lap and have your picture taken in a potting shed, it'll be a little goldmine.

  • Liked by
  • Goatboy
  • Cobham Saint
Dubai_Phil posted this 03 September 2016

We have a very nice one now.

Seriously.

Started up last year, at least 4 stalls selling German Market type stuff, amongst about 100 but we DID have Gluhwein on sale! and there was stuff for everyone, was actually a bloody good effirt considering.

Mrs D_P made a fortune selling VW Camper Van Christmas Tree Baubles

Flahute posted this 03 September 2016

Originally posted by Sfcsim

Brussels was a great market, but my favourite was Bruge. Really lovely place, but you could only get a few days out of it, as you run out of things to do. 

Now I would love to do a German one, but could not narrow down as they have so many great ones. 

 I'm out that way a few times a year ridng so no, nice idea, but out for me.