Holidays who loves them or who hates them?

  • 6.5K Views
  • Last Post 10 June 2017
Coxford_lou posted this 03 March 2017

I'm a bit meh about holidays. Some times when work is crazy stressful, to the point where weekends aren't enough to unwind, then they're a necessity. But I wouldn't call that enjoyment - more a sun fix.

There's something about dumping me in an unfamiliar location for a couple of weeks that I find slightly depressing. You never get beneath the surface of the place, and see it on a relatively superficial level. Feels like a short term sugar fix. Lost In Translation summed that vibe up really well.

In an ideal world I'd have the luxury of taking a couple of months off every year and transplant myself somewhere and see what happens. My motivation is usually to make friends and meet interesting people rather than sightsee. Sightseeing is boring!

PhilippineSaint posted this 03 March 2017

Originally posted by BTripz

Mrs BTripz wants to do a cruies, I can think of nothing worse thanbeing cooped up in a tin can for 14 days (yeah yeah I know shore visits etc.)

Also factor in 2 very active and very into evrything 7 yr olds and you have my perfect nightmare scenario.

 You can hide in the Lifeboat Bx3

plus when you find out the captain last commanded the Concordia you are in the right place.

lifeintheslowlane posted this 03 March 2017

Originally posted by BTripz

Mrs BTripz wants to do a cruies, I can think of nothing worse thanbeing cooped up in a tin can for 14 days (yeah yeah I know shore visits etc.)

Also factor in 2 very active and very into evrything 7 yr olds and you have my perfect nightmare scenario.

 I understand you perfectly Bob...they were exactly my thoughts on the subject until I did it for myself...probably why we've never had a holiday on Jersey or why we cut short 5 days on the Isle of Wight after 3 days.

Cooped up? Nope...you're hardly ever in you cabin...lots to do...these are fuckin' big ships. You won't see your kids from dawn to dusk...they are taken off your hands and you and the missus can go exploring onshore, without the worry.

My hobby's photography so I'm in my element exploring...lots of photo-ops onboard too.

  • Liked by
  • Goatboy
  • PhilippineSaint
CB Saint posted this 03 March 2017

Originally posted by BTripz

Mrs BTripz wants to do a cruies, I can think of nothing worse thanbeing cooped up in a tin can for 14 days (yeah yeah I know shore visits etc.)

Also factor in 2 very active and very into evrything 7 yr olds and you have my perfect nightmare scenario.

 I have a cure for this

The Ayatollah had been bending my ear for ages about going on a cruise and I had steadfastly refused, although it was beginning to come to a head. What she did in the end was do one of those 3 day jaunts to Bruges with the girls. Those three days were enough for her to realise just just how shite two weeks on a ship would be . Best £200 I have ever spent.

 

CB Saint posted this 03 March 2017

My gripes about cruises:

The affordable cabins have no windows - if you want a balcony then you probably afford 2 weeks in the maldives with business class flights

If you like drinking Johm smiths, Stella and Carling you are going to be a pig in shit

Sunbed are ten in a line all touching and one for every 3 passengers. So on the off chance that you get one, you will have to spend the day laid 6 inches away from you neighbour.

The boats themselves especially the big ones are basically Gatwick South Terminal - Costa coffe - seriously ?

Stuck on the boat with 5,000 other people - it is like the all inclusive resort from hell. 

PhilippineSaint posted this 03 March 2017 - Last edited 03 March 2017

Originally posted by CB Saint

My gripes about cruises:

The affordable cabins have no windows - if you want a balcony then you probably afford 2 weeks in the maldives with business class flights

If you like drinking Johm smiths, Stella and Carling you are going to be a pig in shit

Sunbed are ten in a line all touching and one for every 3 passengers. So on the off chance that you get one, you will have to spend the day laid 6 inches away from you neighbour.

The boats themselves especially the big ones are basically Gatwick South Terminal - Costa coffe - seriously ?

Stuck on the boat with 5,000 other people - it is like the all inclusive resort from hell. 

 And I have a problem being stuck on a boat with  a 100 people every other month, although I have an outside cabin. I have put a blackout curtain up at the port hole as the light outside shines 24/7 because apparently I manange to keep the lights on lou_lol

KRG posted this 03 March 2017

I absolutely hate holidays, right up until the point of actually being there. Then they are lovely. 

Deciding where, planning, paying for it and worst of all - packing. I dunno why, but I find packing one of the most stressful tasks in the world. Doesn't matter what for, even an over night stop - packing still reduces me to the state of a nervous wreck. 

Oh and the actual act of travelling is awful. No public transport is designed for anyone over 6 foot. Factor in knackered knees, and it becomes an especially unpleasant experience. 

But yeah, love seeing new places and exploring. Meeting new people, and trying local dishes. Just wish there was someone that could sort everything and transport me there. 

  • Liked by
  • Cobham  Saint
lifeintheslowlane posted this 03 March 2017 - Last edited 03 March 2017

Fuck me....all these cruise experts...didn't know so many of you had been on one. lou_wink2

PhilippineSaint posted this 03 March 2017

Originally posted by lifeintheslowlane

Fuck me....all these cruise experts...didn't know so many of you had been on one. lou_wink2

 Come on @lifeintheslowlane most of us come from Southampton we nearly went on the Titanic. 

Smiler posted this 03 March 2017 - Last edited 03 March 2017

When I lived in the UK I used to holiday 4-6 times a year, Summer would be more of a touring or multi city adventure and the rest of the year I chased the sun.

Then I figured it would be more effective and efficient to move to another Country (preferably English speaking as I am a lazy bastard and it would be too hard to learn a foreign language well enough to get a job).

Since I moved here in 2003 I think I've only really had one holiday. I don't count trips back to the UK as a holiday although I always look forward to coming back to see familiar faces and places. Australia gives me everything I need. Sunshine, places to see, employment. I also met the love of my life, but let's not get mushy....Lol.

I'm sure that if money and time weren't such a precious commodity I would visit more places overseas, but until I get more of both I am perfectly happy in my surroundings and don't feel the need to go anywhere different :)

 

PS cruises are awesome if you are on the right boat! The service and food is 5star and you feel totally spoilt! :)

 

Sfcsim posted this 03 March 2017

Love holidays, but 2 weeks and I am missing my home comforts and love to come home. Tend to only do long weekends or 1 week holidays now though, as I need to keep my business ticking over. 

  • Liked by
  • BTripz
  • PhilippineSaint
BTripz posted this 03 March 2017

Originally posted by KRG

I absolutely hate holidays, right up until the point of actually being there. Then they are lovely. 

Deciding where, planning, paying for it and worst of all - packing. I dunno why, but I find packing one of the most stressful tasks in the world. Doesn't matter what for, even an over night stop - packing still reduces me to the state of a nervous wreck. 

Oh and the actual act of travelling is awful. No public transport is designed for anyone over 6 foot. Factor in knackered knees, and it becomes an especially unpleasant experience. 

But yeah, love seeing new places and exploring. Meeting new people, and trying local dishes. Just wish there was someone that could sort everything and transport me there. 

When we go on holiday Mrs BTripz gets me to get the suitcases out of the attic about 3 weeks before we go, then she's at packing every night.

She constantly nags at me to do my packing and I'll acquiese the night before we go!!

  • Liked by
  • PhilippineSaint
Bearsy posted this 09 June 2017 - Last edited 09 June 2017

FRM ANNOUNCEMENT

I am fk off now on Tour for 2 weeks + infect continental europe with my genetic material + parasites. I have already alerted World Health Organisation, but just want to let you bros know too so that you Don't Worry. I will see you bros later xx

Fatso posted this 09 June 2017

FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FROM PAP: 

sotonians Soviet will commence next week.  It's vital that all elected members are in the UK for this time. Failure to be present for inauguration will void any election votes. 

BTripz posted this 09 June 2017

Originally posted by Bearsy

FRM ANNOUNCEMENT

I am fk off now on Tour for 2 weeks + infect continental europe with my genetic material + parasites. I have already alerted World Health Organisation, but just want to let you bros know too so that you Don't Worry. I will see you bros later xx

 It's all about me, me, me isn't it @narcissist, like anyone would give a fuck if you weren't posting and start a "Where is Bearsy" thread.

  • Liked by
  • KRG
lifeintheslowlane posted this 09 June 2017

Originally posted by BTripz

Originally posted by Bearsy

FRM ANNOUNCEMENT

I am fk off now on Tour for 2 weeks + infect continental europe with my genetic material + parasites. I have already alerted World Health Organisation, but just want to let you bros know too so that you Don't Worry. I will see you bros later xx

 It's all about me, me, me isn't it @narcissist, like anyone would give a fuck if you weren't posting and start a "Where is Bearsy" thread.

 Will you be popping in to the new Euro Disney attraction "Fat-Pipes Fart-on Park Experience"?

Make sure all your jabs are up to date. 

Dubai_Phil posted this 09 June 2017

Meanwhile.

Just finished packing for my 3 in 1 vacation build around Glasto.

I'm heading for UK in case Bear is around anywhere else think I'll be safe.

Phew

lifeintheslowlane posted this 09 June 2017 - Last edited 09 June 2017

Two weeks to go to my boy's outing to Germany, in a 1962 Split Screen VW Bus.  

It's a long weekend in Saxony...a Market Town full of Vintage VWs...lots of Bratwurst and Beer and hopefully sunshine. lou_lol

  • Liked by
  • Cobham  Saint
PhilippineSaint posted this 10 June 2017

I am on holiday now.

Its bloody pissing down. But at least it is warm rain and verticle not that horizontal stuff you get in the U.K.

  • Liked by
  • Dubai_Phil