Personal Challenge - Raising money for Southampton General Hospital.

  • 501 Views
  • Last Post 05 August 2017
Sfcsim posted this 24 January 2017

Serious question, could be be over doing it? I seem to be ill again, temperature, aching, feeling tired. Now I do not normally get ill, but all a little frustrating as I cannot seem to get a sequence of cycles together. Had lots of bike problems, now ill again. 

Could I be run down? FFS! 

Areola Grandee posted this 24 January 2017

Hello there. Looking at your distances and pace, would suggest you should be safe in the base mile zone. Key is not to try and beat records but slowly up the mileage in the week. I try and have two rest days a week (more in winter/ when screwed by work) Mon Rest, the 20k, we'd 20k, Thursday 25k, fri Rest  sat 30k on then the big ride on Sun 70k max in winter, lot longer in summer. ( means 630am starts or earlier to fit in with fa,ily needs etc)

i suspect you are literally under the weather... Chills from getting wet, cold etc not the distance or pace, but as soon as you have a old or feel ill, stop exercising as it will only worsen your immune system and the cold wil linger... And linger etc... Rest means rest not slowing down or riding a shorter distance.

have a proper rest, then catch up when better....or it will just demoralise you! 

Areola Grandee posted this 24 January 2017

PS. Are you North, or Am I thinking of someone else? If so we could meet for a ride in the Scottish Borders one Sat or Sun if you fancy it.?

Sfcsim posted this 24 January 2017

Originally posted by Chutney Ferret

Hello there. Looking at your distances and pace, would suggest you should be safe in the base mile zone. Key is not to try and beat records but slowly up the mileage in the week. I try and have two rest days a week (more in winter/ when screwed by work) Mon Rest, the 20k, we'd 20k, Thursday 25k, fri Rest  sat 30k on then the big ride on Sun 70k max in winter, lot longer in summer. ( means 630am starts or earlier to fit in with fa,ily needs etc)

i suspect you are literally under the weather... Chills from getting wet, cold etc not the distance or pace, but as soon as you have a old or feel ill, stop exercising as it will only worsen your immune system and the cold wil linger... And linger etc... Rest means rest not slowing down or riding a shorter distance.

have a proper rest, then catch up when better....or it will just demoralise you! 

 Yes, just feel I am slipping behind. I only have a mountain bike, not a road bike, so I think the pace is pretty good to what it has been. It is not that I push myself, sometimes I feel good and it is just natural pace. 

Sfcsim posted this 24 January 2017

Originally posted by Chutney Ferret

PS. Are you North, or Am I thinking of someone else? If so we could meet for a ride in the Scottish Borders one Sat or Sun if you fancy it.?

 Yep, I am in Carlisle on the boarder city. You might fly off on your road bike! 

Areola Grandee posted this 25 January 2017

Personal question, but how tall are you? Could lend you a roadie dark side machine ;-) My MTB is form 1996 and is a bit of a garage queen now being all 'retro/vintage' ;-)

 

 

Sfcsim posted this 27 January 2017

I am 6 foot. I have had a road bike and cannot stand them! I like the more upright ride and seeing stuff as I cycle rather than head down for speed. I will stick with the mountain bike. 

After all the aches clearing up yesterday, a headache down one side, including behind eye, ear and jaw, as making me feel sick on and off. Good job I got to the doctors today, I have a severe inner and outer ear infection! Still hoping to be cycling by Monday! 

  • Liked by
  • lifeintheslowlane
Sfcsim posted this 05 August 2017

Well the wheels come off this challenge in January, then again in Feb and March. Bike issues and other issues meaning I was not able to get the bike fixed, as I needed to prioritise my spending.

It is only now I am looking to get back on my bike, but after what I have said above, I am going back to a road bike. I will be keeping my mountain bike for cycling with family, but after becoming friends with a mad keen neighbour road bike cyclist and the fact I was finding the hills tough up here on a mountain bike, I thought that a road bike was the way forward.

So from 21st August I am going to try and cycle the 4015 miles and more. I have a Rose road bike and have kitted myself out with all the new gear. I plan on cycling from one end of the country to the other in 2019. 

But hey first things first, put the disappointment of the challenge from the last year (which started so well for 5 months) behind me and blow it out of the water 2017/18! 

SaintBristol posted this 05 August 2017

Originally posted by Sfcsim

I am 6 foot. I have had a road bike and cannot stand them! I like the more upright ride and seeing stuff as I cycle rather than head down for speed. I will stick with the mountain bike. 

After all the aches clearing up yesterday, a headache down one side, including behind eye, ear and jaw, as making me feel sick on and off. Good job I got to the doctors today, I have a severe inner and outer ear infection! Still hoping to be cycling by Monday! 

 Massive respect, just be careful with your health mate.

  • Liked by
  • Sfcsim