Puel v Conman EPL comparison.

  • 789 Views
  • Last Post 03 January 2017
Smuggins posted this 13 December 2016

A lot of people are moaning about our new Manager/Coach and his tactics. One of his tactics has been to rotate the squad which would never have happened under Conman.Changes were only made due to injury and he did not rate the acadamy players.So it is worth comparing results in matches played so far this season with the corresponding ones last season.Three of the teams we played at this stage were promoted so results against these have to be compared with their replacements so Norwich (H) becomes Burnley (H) ,Newcastle (A) becomes Hull (A) and Villa (H) becomes Middleborough (H).

The findings are;

Points gained Conman 15 Puel 20

Goals scored Conman 13 Puel. 14

Goals conceded Conman 19 Puel 15

Add to this playing in the Europa League 6 matches and qualifying for the EFL semi final (last year eliminated by Liverpool in a 6-1 thrashing) and you can see that Puel has done well.A lot might not like the style but it has been effective so far.

 

52 Comments
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Rallyboy posted this 13 December 2016

Tune in next week when we prove Pochettino is a twat too - and don't miss our January special on Harry Redknapp.

Bearsy posted this 13 December 2016

I dunno that I've heard puel get much grief tbh, is ppl down on him all that much? I mean, by ppl, I'm not particularly thinking of i.e. Barry. I mean, normal ppl like me & tokyo-saint.

CB Saint posted this 13 December 2016

Originally posted by Bearsy

I dunno that I've heard puel get much grief tbh, is ppl down on him all that much? I mean, by ppl, I'm not particularly thinking of i.e. Barry. I mean, normal ppl like me & tokyo-saint.

 You want to come sit near me - bell end central

Sadoldgit posted this 13 December 2016

You will not be surprised to hear that he gets grief over on TSW. In fact, that bastion of football punditry, Batman, would have it that he will be gone by Christmas!

Sfcsim posted this 13 December 2016

I think he is doing a good job, with what he has at his disposal. People say it is a little boring, but he has us playing to our strengths (defence), until he can strengthen. People have to remember he does not have Mane or Pelle, or really what I would call any fully match fit strikers, or his main creative players. 

I can see things improving with Tadic getting fit and boufal getting more match time. Add a new striker in and may JRod getting off the mark and things should improve in the new year. 

Lets not dwell on a semi final thrashing.... please no repeat for us! 

ant posted this 13 December 2016

The revisionists - those that believe the sun shines out of Koeman's behind - also appear to have conveniently washed over the fact that we went through some spells of dull, unadventurous football under his stewardship.

Most notably late October to late December last year. And I never properly got over how he set us up for the Midtyjlland matches.

And despite that we STILL achieved two club-record PL finishes. A year ago to the day, some were even claiming we were in a relegation battle. It'd be an understatement to say there's time to make something of this season.

Rallyboy posted this 14 December 2016

We were definitely on the slide a year ago, Arsenal turned it all round.

Either way Ronald is no messiah.

 

 

 

Fight the temptation to do your own punchlines.

  • Liked by
  • Saint or sinner
  • Fowllyd
Smuggins posted this 19 December 2016

Originally posted by Smuggins

A lot of people are moaning about our new Manager/Coach and his tactics. One of his tactics has been to rotate the squad which would never have happened under Conman.Changes were only made due to injury and he did not rate the acadamy players.So it is worth comparing results in matches played so far this season with the corresponding ones last season.Three of the teams we played at this stage were promoted so results against these have to be compared with their replacements so Norwich (H) becomes Burnley (H) ,Newcastle (A) becomes Hull (A) and Villa (H) becomes Middleborough (H).

The findings are;

Points gained Conman 15 Puel 20

Goals scored Conman 13 Puel. 14

Goals conceded Conman 19 Puel 15

Add to this playing in the Europa League 6 matches and qualifying for the EFL semi final (last year eliminated by Liverpool in a 6-1 thrashing) and you can see that Puel has done well.A lot might not like the style but it has been effective so far.

 

 Update after Bourmouth Away .

Points gained Conman 18 Puel  24

Goals scored Conman 15 Puel 17

Goals conceded Conman 25 Puel 16.

Still proof it were needed that Puel is well ahead of Conman so far.

If we can go on a run like we experienced at the end of last season who knows where it could end.

Apart from Chelsea the teams above us are not showing a lot of consistency other than Arsenal.

Losing 2-1 two times on the trot after being 1 up.Now that's consistency though I doubt Whinger will agree.

BTripz posted this 21 December 2016

Yo, Mr Smuggins sir, not to want to upset you but I think you're figures may be slightly wrong. Having cross posted your analysis somewhere else, and not taking the credit myself, someone challenged the figures so I have done some work myself and come up witht this :-

    Result 15-16 Pts For Against   Result 16-17 Pts For Against
Newcastle United away D2-2 1 2 2 Hull L 1-2 0 1 2
Everton home L0-3 0 0 3   W 1-0 +3 1 0
Watford away D0-0                
Norwich City home W3-0 3 3 0 Burnely  W 3-1 +3 3 1
West Bromwich Albion away D0-0                
Manchester United home L2-3                
Swansea City home W3-1 3 3 1   W 1-0 +3 1 0
Chelsea away W3-1                
Leicester City home D2-2                
Liverpool away D1-1                
Bournemouth home W2-0                
Sunderland away W1-0                
Stoke City home L0-1                
Manchester City away L1-3 0 1 3   D 1-1 +1 1 1
Aston Villa home D1-1 1 1 1 Middlesbrough W 1-0 +3 1 0
Crystal Palace away L0-1 0 0 1   L 0-3 0 0 3
Tottenham Hotspur home L0-2                
Arsenal home W4-0                
West Ham United away L1-2 0 1 2   W 3-0 +3 3 0
Norwich City away L0-1                
Watford home W2-0 3 2 0   D 1-1 +1 1 1
West Bromwich Albion home W3-0                
Manchester United away W1-0 3 1 0   L 0-2 0 0 2
Arsenal away D0-0 1 0 0   L 1-2 0 1 2
West Ham United home W1-0                
Swansea City away W1-0                
Chelsea home L1-2 0 1 2   L 0-2 0 0 2
Bournemouth away L0-2 0 0 2   W 3-1 +3 3 1
Sunderland home D1-1 1 1 1   D1-1 +1 1 1
Stoke City away W2-1 3 2 1   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Liverpool home W3-2 3 3 2   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Leicester City away L0-1 0 0 1   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Newcastle United home W3-1                
Everton away D1-1                
Aston Villa away W4-2                
Manchester City home W4-2                
Tottenham Hotspur away W2-1                
Crystal Palace home W4-1                
      +22 +21 +22     +24 +17 +16

So from that, if I ahve it correct and I may very well not, it is :-

Points gained Conman 22 Puel  24

Goals scored Conman 21 Puel 17

Goals conceded Conman 22 Puel 16.

--

I got my histotical results from statto.com

  • Liked by
  • newyorksaint
Rallyboy posted this 21 December 2016

The last thing this forum needs right now is facts getting in the way.

I'm going to carry on regardless, pretending that correction never happened.

  • Liked by
  • saintbletch
Fatso posted this 21 December 2016

What's about a comparison of words they can and cannot say clearly. Puel seemed to be making progress, but I couldn't understand most of his post Bournemouth match BBC interview. 

  • Liked by
  • TheCholulaKid
lifeintheslowlane posted this 21 December 2016 - Last edited 21 December 2016

Originally posted by Fatso

What's about a comparison of words they can and cannot say clearly. Puel seemed to be making progress, but I couldn't understand most of his post Bournemouth match BBC interview. 

 If you were anything like me...nobody was very coherent after the game...viewed of course through a beer, Cognac and mince pie haze. Anyone have a transcript?

  • Liked by
  • BTripz
  • Fatso
Smuggins posted this 21 December 2016

Originally posted by lifeintheslowlane

Originally posted by Fatso

What's about a comparison of words they can and cannot say clearly. Puel seemed to be making progress, but I couldn't understand most of his post Bournemouth match BBC interview. 

 If you were anything like me...nobody was very coherent after the game...viewed of course through a beer, Cognac and mince pie haze. Anyone have a transcript?

 Puel obviously struggles with the language and the grammar.However give him credit for trying which is better than Poch who we allowed to use an interpreter.

  • Liked by
  • BTripz
  • gavstar
Smuggins posted this 21 December 2016

Originally posted by BTripz

Yo, Mr Smuggins sir, not to want to upset you but I think you're figures may be slightly wrong. Having cross posted your analysis somewhere else, and not taking the credit myself, someone challenged the figures so I have done some work myself and come up witht this :-

    Result 15-16 Pts For Against   Result 16-17 Pts For Against
Newcastle United away D2-2 1 2 2 Hull L 1-2 0 1 2
Everton home L0-3 0 0 3   W 1-0 +3 1 0
Watford away D0-0                
Norwich City home W3-0 3 3 0 Burnely  W 3-1 +3 3 1
West Bromwich Albion away D0-0                
Manchester United home L2-3                
Swansea City home W3-1 3 3 1   W 1-0 +3 1 0
Chelsea away W3-1                
Leicester City home D2-2                
Liverpool away D1-1                
Bournemouth home W2-0                
Sunderland away W1-0                
Stoke City home L0-1                
Manchester City away L1-3 0 1 3   D 1-1 +1 1 1
Aston Villa home D1-1 1 1 1 Middlesbrough W 1-0 +3 1 0
Crystal Palace away L0-1 0 0 1   L 0-3 0 0 3
Tottenham Hotspur home L0-2                
Arsenal home W4-0                
West Ham United away L1-2 0 1 2   W 3-0 +3 3 0
Norwich City away L0-1                
Watford home W2-0 3 2 0   D 1-1 +1 1 1
West Bromwich Albion home W3-0                
Manchester United away W1-0 3 1 0   L 0-2 0 0 2
Arsenal away D0-0 1 0 0   L 1-2 0 1 2
West Ham United home W1-0                
Swansea City away W1-0                
Chelsea home L1-2 0 1 2   L 0-2 0 0 2
Bournemouth away L0-2 0 0 2   W 3-1 +3 3 1
Sunderland home D1-1 1 1 1   D1-1 +1 1 1
Stoke City away W2-1 3 2 1   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Liverpool home W3-2 3 3 2   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Leicester City away L0-1 0 0 1   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Newcastle United home W3-1                
Everton away D1-1                
Aston Villa away W4-2                
Manchester City home W4-2                
Tottenham Hotspur away W2-1                
Crystal Palace home W4-1                
      +22 +21 +22     +24 +17 +16

So from that, if I ahve it correct and I may very well not, it is :-

Points gained Conman 22 Puel  24

Goals scored Conman 21 Puel 17

Goals conceded Conman 22 Puel 16.

--

I got my histotical results from statto.com

 Agree with that.It appears that I confused some of last season's results with the previous one which affected Conmans record.

  • Liked by
  • BTripz
JxgrSaint posted this 21 December 2016

This is the post-truth era, can we just agree that Koeman is an alt-good manager and that Puel will Make Southampton Great Again?

KRG posted this 21 December 2016

Originally posted by Smuggins

Originally posted by BTripz

Yo, Mr Smuggins sir, not to want to upset you but I think you're figures may be slightly wrong. Having cross posted your analysis somewhere else, and not taking the credit myself, someone challenged the figures so I have done some work myself and come up witht this :-

    Result 15-16 Pts For Against   Result 16-17 Pts For Against
Newcastle United away D2-2 1 2 2 Hull L 1-2 0 1 2
Everton home L0-3 0 0 3   W 1-0 +3 1 0
Watford away D0-0                
Norwich City home W3-0 3 3 0 Burnely  W 3-1 +3 3 1
West Bromwich Albion away D0-0                
Manchester United home L2-3                
Swansea City home W3-1 3 3 1   W 1-0 +3 1 0
Chelsea away W3-1                
Leicester City home D2-2                
Liverpool away D1-1                
Bournemouth home W2-0                
Sunderland away W1-0                
Stoke City home L0-1                
Manchester City away L1-3 0 1 3   D 1-1 +1 1 1
Aston Villa home D1-1 1 1 1 Middlesbrough W 1-0 +3 1 0
Crystal Palace away L0-1 0 0 1   L 0-3 0 0 3
Tottenham Hotspur home L0-2                
Arsenal home W4-0                
West Ham United away L1-2 0 1 2   W 3-0 +3 3 0
Norwich City away L0-1                
Watford home W2-0 3 2 0   D 1-1 +1 1 1
West Bromwich Albion home W3-0                
Manchester United away W1-0 3 1 0   L 0-2 0 0 2
Arsenal away D0-0 1 0 0   L 1-2 0 1 2
West Ham United home W1-0                
Swansea City away W1-0                
Chelsea home L1-2 0 1 2   L 0-2 0 0 2
Bournemouth away L0-2 0 0 2   W 3-1 +3 3 1
Sunderland home D1-1 1 1 1   D1-1 +1 1 1
Stoke City away W2-1 3 2 1   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Liverpool home W3-2 3 3 2   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Leicester City away L0-1 0 0 1   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Newcastle United home W3-1                
Everton away D1-1                
Aston Villa away W4-2                
Manchester City home W4-2                
Tottenham Hotspur away W2-1                
Crystal Palace home W4-1                
      +22 +21 +22     +24 +17 +16

So from that, if I ahve it correct and I may very well not, it is :-

Points gained Conman 22 Puel  24

Goals scored Conman 21 Puel 17

Goals conceded Conman 22 Puel 16.

--

I got my histotical results from statto.com

 Agree with that.It appears that I confused some of last season's results with the previous one which affected Conmans record.

 I don't know what to believe in anymore

BTripz posted this 21 December 2016

Originally posted by KRG

 I don't know what to believe in anymore

The innate goodness in the world and Father Christmas..

  • Liked by
  • steveintheforest
Smuggins posted this 21 December 2016

Originally posted by KRG

Originally posted by Smuggins

Originally posted by BTripz

Yo, Mr Smuggins sir, not to want to upset you but I think you're figures may be slightly wrong. Having cross posted your analysis somewhere else, and not taking the credit myself, someone challenged the figures so I have done some work myself and come up witht this :-

    Result 15-16 Pts For Against   Result 16-17 Pts For Against
Newcastle United away D2-2 1 2 2 Hull L 1-2 0 1 2
Everton home L0-3 0 0 3   W 1-0 +3 1 0
Watford away D0-0                
Norwich City home W3-0 3 3 0 Burnely  W 3-1 +3 3 1
West Bromwich Albion away D0-0                
Manchester United home L2-3                
Swansea City home W3-1 3 3 1   W 1-0 +3 1 0
Chelsea away W3-1                
Leicester City home D2-2                
Liverpool away D1-1                
Bournemouth home W2-0                
Sunderland away W1-0                
Stoke City home L0-1                
Manchester City away L1-3 0 1 3   D 1-1 +1 1 1
Aston Villa home D1-1 1 1 1 Middlesbrough W 1-0 +3 1 0
Crystal Palace away L0-1 0 0 1   L 0-3 0 0 3
Tottenham Hotspur home L0-2                
Arsenal home W4-0                
West Ham United away L1-2 0 1 2   W 3-0 +3 3 0
Norwich City away L0-1                
Watford home W2-0 3 2 0   D 1-1 +1 1 1
West Bromwich Albion home W3-0                
Manchester United away W1-0 3 1 0   L 0-2 0 0 2
Arsenal away D0-0 1 0 0   L 1-2 0 1 2
West Ham United home W1-0                
Swansea City away W1-0                
Chelsea home L1-2 0 1 2   L 0-2 0 0 2
Bournemouth away L0-2 0 0 2   W 3-1 +3 3 1
Sunderland home D1-1 1 1 1   D1-1 +1 1 1
Stoke City away W2-1 3 2 1   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Liverpool home W3-2 3 3 2   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Leicester City away L0-1 0 0 1   D 0-0 +1 0 0
Newcastle United home W3-1                
Everton away D1-1                
Aston Villa away W4-2                
Manchester City home W4-2                
Tottenham Hotspur away W2-1                
Crystal Palace home W4-1                
      +22 +21 +22     +24 +17 +16

So from that, if I ahve it correct and I may very well not, it is :-

Points gained Conman 22 Puel  24

Goals scored Conman 21 Puel 17

Goals conceded Conman 22 Puel 16.

--

I got my histotical results from statto.com

 Agree with that.It appears that I confused some of last season's results with the previous one which affected Conmans record.

 I don't know what to believe in anymore

 At the moment Puel is ahead of Koeman especially if you factor in Euro and EFL Cup results.

However the remaining fixtures produced better results for Konman so we need to go on a similar run to better last season.

  • Liked by
  • BTripz
Rallyboy posted this 21 December 2016

What we can agree on is that Everton are 15 points off what their fans expected and lost their biggest game of the season in injury time this week.

Meanwhile Koeman is whistling merrily to himself as he wanders down the bank pushing a wheelbarrow of cash.

BTripz posted this 31 December 2016

Update....

    Result 15-16 Pts For Against   Result 16-17 Pts For Against
Newcastle United away D2-2 1 2 2 Hull L 1-2 0 1 2
Everton home L0-3 0 0 3   W 1-0 3 1 0
Watford away D0-0                
Norwich City home W3-0 3 3 0 Burnely  W 3-1 3 3 1
West Bromwich Albion away D0-0                
Manchester United home L2-3                
Swansea City home W3-1 3 3 1   W 1-0 3 1 0
Chelsea away W3-1                
Leicester City home D2-2                
Liverpool away D1-1                
Bournemouth home W2-0                
Sunderland away W1-0                
Stoke City home L0-1                
Manchester City away L1-3 0 1 3   D 1-1 1 1 1
Aston Villa home D1-1 1 1 1 Middlesbrough W 1-0 3 1 0
Crystal Palace away L0-1 0 0 1   L 0-3 0 0 3
Tottenham Hotspur home L0-2 0 0 2   L 1-4 0 1 4
Arsenal home W4-0                
West Ham United away L1-2 0 1 2   W 3-0 3 3 0
Norwich City away L0-1                
Watford home W2-0 3 2 0   D 1-1 1 1 1
West Bromwich Albion home W3-0 3 3 0   L 1-2
Manchester United away W1-0 3 1 0   L 0-2 0 0 2
Arsenal away D0-0 1 0 0   L 1-2 0 1 2
West Ham United home W1-0                
Swansea City away W1-0                
Chelsea home L1-2 0 1 2   L 0-2 0 0 2
Bournemouth away L0-2 0 0 2   W 3-1 3 3 1
Sunderland home D1-1 1 1 1   D1-1 1 1 1
Stoke City away W2-1 3 2 1   D 0-0 1 0 0
Liverpool home W3-2 3 3 2   D 0-0 1 0 0
Leicester City away L0-1 0 0 1   D 0-0 1 0 0
Newcastle United home W3-1                
Everton away D1-1                
Aston Villa away W4-2                
Manchester City home W4-2                
Tottenham Hotspur away W2-1                
Crystal Palace home W4-1                
      25 24 24     24 19 22

Points gained Conman 25 Puel  24

Goals scored Conman 24 Puel 19

Goals conceded Conman 24 Puel 22