Top 3

  • 213 Views
  • Last Post 22 December 2016
Fatso posted this 21 December 2016

Apology accepted, let's all just move on. Just try not to do it again, ok?

SaintBristol posted this 21 December 2016

I accept your apology, so why the hate about Anomolisa?

SaintBristol posted this 21 December 2016

I'm fucking relentless

SaintBristol posted this 21 December 2016

 Aside from my top 3 thread, what was I thinking :

 

SaintBristol posted this 21 December 2016

Fatso posted this 21 December 2016

What didn't I like about it..........it's been a while since I saw it but I think I found the whole thing impersonal. I like stories about nothing but only when you can get invested in the people. And I never got invested in these characters. I didn't see the point of telling the story in this way. It seemed to just be showing off for the sake of it. If a story is interesting and worth watching then let's watch it. Why the need for puppets? It just didn't interest me. 

SaintBristol posted this 22 December 2016

Originally posted by Fatso

What didn't I like about it..........it's been a while since I saw it but I think I found the whole thing impersonal. I like stories about nothing but only when you can get invested in the people. And I never got invested in these characters. I didn't see the point of telling the story in this way. It seemed to just be showing off for the sake of it. If a story is interesting and worth watching then let's watch it. Why the need for puppets? It just didn't interest me. 

 It's not a story about nothing, it's on the face of it a terrible middle aged guy whose a narcissisist or some guy who is trapped in a narrative spiral or maybe a guy with mental health issues who imagines the whole thing. Either way Charlie Kaufman is head and shoulders above anyone writing drama

Fatso posted this 22 December 2016

Do you know what, it's been so long since I saw it, I can't remember enough to make a sensible comment. I just remember I didn't enjoy it. And that's what I'm like with art.....I know what I like and I know what I don't like. I'm sorry Ted. I feel I've let you down. If I could, I'd tell you I loved it, but I didn't. I don't want our relationship to be built on lies. I need to go to bed now. I feel today has been a failure for me. I feel unhappy with my general performance. 

Fatso posted this 22 December 2016

i haven't watched too many films this year hit' rather quickly and without wanting to upset anyone, if I had to pick three it would be.....

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

the revenant

deadpool

 

 

 

SaintBristol posted this 22 December 2016

It was originally a Radio play in 2004. With the same cast. It obviously won every award and there was an argument over the script.  Thing is Charlie Kaufman isnt a hollywood guy. He's in my opinion the greatest writer about the human condition than Kafka

Fatso posted this 22 December 2016

Ted, I like Kaufman. You don't need to convince me about how good he is, but I just don't like the film. I think that's ok if I don't like it. I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

  • Liked by
  • TheMightyOstrich
SaintBristol posted this 22 December 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/dec/16/charlie-kaufman-anomalisa-interview-donald-trump

SaintBristol posted this 22 December 2016

Originally posted by Fatso

Ted, I like Kaufman. You don't need to convince me about how good he is, but I just don't like the film. I think that's ok if I don't like it. I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

 I'm sure he doesn't mind.

SaintBristol posted this 22 December 2016

Definitely borrowed visually from Barton Fink

SaintBristol posted this 22 December 2016

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/03/10/windows-on-the-will/

SaintBristol posted this 22 December 2016

Zadie Smith and her Schopenhauer, theories

Barry Sanchez posted this 22 December 2016

For me 2016 has been a dissappointing year in terms of films but I have yet to see Arrival which I hear is good but the stand out for me in acting and suspense is Hell or High Water, the cinematography is amazing and so so well paced and acted.

gavstar posted this 22 December 2016

Originally posted by Barry Sanchez

For me 2016 has been a dissappointing year in terms of films but I have yet to see Arrival which I hear is good but the stand out for me in acting and suspense is Hell or High Water, the cinematography is amazing and so so well paced and acted.

 Really enjoyed arrival, really liked the concept and the general feeling of the film, if you can try not to find out anything about it before you watch it.  My brother has told me good things about hell or high water but not got round to watching it yet.  Hypernormalisation stands out for me this year, not sure how to class it though, i suppose editorial/commentary? The combination of stock footage/music/calm commentary worked well for me, even if it made me thoroughly depressed afterwards.

  • Liked by
  • Barry Sanchez