At what age would you leave your kids alone?

it really does depend on how mature your children are, as they all have there own individual mentality. As someone said before. No cooking, but also, if they are sat in their room, like any other normal evening, then there is no difference.

If we leave our eldest in charge of the 7 and 4 year old, we we not go out until the 4 year old is in bed. We will not leave the eldest in charge of the 4 year old during the day.

My eldest is pretty responsible and the 7 year old has started hiding in her room, reading and on her iPad!

If we go out for the evening, we would make sure they have a number for someone nearby if we are outside Carlisle and if not then we can return from the cinema very quickly.

Won’t be the 1st time they’ve bowled through the front door. :lou_sad:

We’ve yet to let the lad “babysit” of an evening so we can go to the flicks. I might suggest to the Mrs that they’ve shown they can be trusted but I’m not sure she’ll agree.

Interesting point.

In years gone by kids of perhaps, 8 (at a push) might babysit younger ones if the family was big and circumstances merited it. I certainly know of kids younger than 10 who actually know how to cook and some of 16 who don’t know what a tin opener is which is worrying. Mind you, there are probably 30 year olds who don’t know that either, so …

Haven’t read the story but wonder what can happen to a child in 2 mins if the car is secure and assuming that the McCann snatcher is still about and watching the car. Presume they’d be straitjacketed in a car-seat especially for them and woudn’t be left with a nuke to play with. If you haven’t got it yet, I wonder why there is a focus on interfering and preventing something ‘bad’ that ‘could’ happen and quite what the difference is (ignoring the obvious) about leaving a child alone in the spare room for 2 mins and a car when you could consider what did/didn’t happen and then act if it did. Assumng you’re a half-decent parent I would have thought the self-imposed feelings would be the worst sanction in that case.

Bloody hell, this ‘having kids’ thing sounds like a minefield.

I’m not convinced I should be left unsupervised yet.

5 Likes

I feel the same all the time.

1 Like

Originally posted by @KRG

Originally posted by @ant

Bloody hell, this ‘having kids’ thing sounds like a minefield.

I’m not convinced I should be left unsupervised yet.

I feel the same all the time.

This is why your folks are still shelling out on babysitters for you boys. It’s not right that they have to spend their money this way.

Hmmm, we have had a neighbour’s daughter babysit when she was just 13. Admittedly, her parents were in their house a couple of doors up from us but, nevertheless, she was in titular charge while we were out. We have also had other babysitters who were 14 and 15 and their family homes are much further away.

The article suggests that the police have prosecuted in some instances when children as old as 15 have been left on their own!

Originally posted by @pap

“Oh, any age, really”

Kate & Gerry.

As long as you have enough prescription tranqulizer