Bands you used to love but now hate

Agree with the Oasis and Kings of Lyon vibe i.e. first 2 to 3 albums great but nothing but a downward spiral thereafter. You can also include Guns ‘n’ Roses in that category, possibly even top of the table in as much as anything after Appetitie for Destruction was sh!t in comparison.

Dire Straits is definitely one I struggle to listen to now but loved as a teen.

Same goes for Status Quo, AC/DC and ZZ Top.

Originally posted by @KRG

Ha I was going to write that. I’ve said it before and people nearly had their pitchforks out for me.

Controversial one, The Smiths. Probably being harsh, but:

A) Morrissey is a complete cunt.

B) Idiot kids that try so hard to be alternative and bang on about how bloody much they love The bloody Smiths, have you heard This Charming Man etc

C) The endless “OMG The Smiths are going to get back together for Coachella” repeated every year. No, they aren’t. Shut up.

I enjoy most of their music. But, eurgh.

Downvoted for only enjoying ‘most’ of their music. Heathen.

1 Like

Oh god, you’re one of them. Aren’t you?

1 Like

ABBA, Scissor Sisters, Bullet for my Valentine, Killers, Razorlight and Kings of Leon off the top of my head.

You’ve admitted to liking Muse so don’t even start…

1 Like

I’m the same with Oasis. I loved the first album and that was it. The first had “youthful” attitude which tailed off so quickly by the time of the second they sounded tired and hackneyed…relying on Beatles pastiches.

The Beatles ran a French bakery?

1 Like

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

The Beatles ran a French bakery?

Just a sideline in case things went belly-up Mon’Amie. :lou_wink_2:

Radiohead. The Bends and OK Computer were brilliant but they then gradually disappeared up their own arses.

3 Likes

Originally posted by @Mangobean

Agree with the Oasis and Kings of Lyon vibe i.e. first 2 to 3 albums great but nothing but a downward spiral thereafter. You can also include Guns ‘n’ Roses in that category, possibly even top of the table in as much as anything after Appetitie for Destruction was sh!t in comparison.

I’m a huge fan of Appetite for Destruction, and you’re right, there’s no single album they made that bettered it. I’ve got time for bits of the Use Your Illusion, especially Estranged.

I genuinely sing their stuff more often than I listen to it. Mark Knopfler has got a handy enough voice to emulate. I rule at Karaoke :slight_smile:

Same goes for Status Quo

My cousin was really into these. Used to mock him and refer to them as Status Chord.

AC/DC

Went the other way. Thought they were shallow as fuck when I was a teenager, mostly on account of only knowing their newer stuff. Their older stuff is twisted, bluesy, dancey and conspiratorial. There’s a rare version of “If you want blood” where the entire second verse is about the Kennedy assassination.

and ZZ Top.

I still quite like these. Occasionally listen to Eliminator, which is a very tight album. Some would argue they’d gone downhill from that point.

1 Like

First album; hey you sound a bit like the Beatles, but you distinguish yourselves, and let’s face it, Slide Away is a work of genius.

Second album; why the fuck are the opening bars to Don’t Look Back In Anger exactly the same as Imagine? (I am superb at getting intros; this fucker really threw me off),

Hindu Times; you’ve completely ripped off the Stereophonics’ Same Size Feet, you robbing Manc fuckers! It’s one thing to pilfer across the decades, but robbing the zenith of the 'Phonics best ever album (they never got any better either) from a couple of years ago is a bit fucking much.

Oh, and by then, a significant proportion of the band seemed to be cunts.

The rise and fall of Oasis in my estimation.

Originally posted by @pap

Originally posted by @Mangobean

I’m a huge fan of Appetite for Destruction, and you’re right, there’s no single album they made that bettered it. I’ve got time for bits of the Use Your Illusion, especially Estranged.

**fucking top tune and the best on both albums, so much depth and great lyrics. Also quite like breakdown. **

I genuinely sing their stuff more often than I listen to it. Mark Knopfler has got a handy enough voice to emulate. I rule at Karaoke :slight_smile:

Same goes for Status Quo

My cousin was really into these. Used to mock him and refer to them as Status Chord.

AC/DC

Went the other way. Thought they were shallow as fuck when I was a teenager, mostly on account of only knowing their newer stuff. Their older stuff is twisted, bluesy, dancey and conspiratorial. There’s a rare version of “If you want blood” where the entire second verse is about the Kennedy assassination.

and ZZ Top.

I still quite like these. Occasionally listen to Eliminator, which is a very tight album. Some would argue they’d gone downhill from that point.

Originally posted by @pap

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

I’m the same with Oasis. I loved the first album and that was it. The first had “youthful” attitude which tailed off so quickly by the time of the second they sounded tired and hackneyed…relying on Beatles pastiches.

First album; hey you sound a bit like the Beatles, but you distinguish yourselves, and let’s face it, Slide Away is a work of genius.

by far the best song on DM, but very closely followed by Columbia, but one of very few albums, along with Appetite that I can listen to the whole album and not one song do I have to skip.

Second album; why the fuck are the opening bars to Don’t Look Back In Anger exactly the same as Imagine? (I am superb at getting intros; this fucker really threw me off),

Hindu Times; you’ve completely ripped off the Stereophonics’ Same Size Feet, you robbing Manc fuckers! It’s one thing to pilfer across the decades, but robbing the zenith of the 'Phonics best ever album (they never got any better either) from a couple of years ago is a bit fucking much.

Oh, and by then, a significant proportion of the band seemed to be cunts.

The rise and fall of Oasis in my estimation.

Columbia was the best thing Oasis did. All downhill after Definitely Maybe.

I know what you mean. Bletch does go on a bit sometimes.

2 Likes

Ah yes Status Quo! I had an early ablum, Dog Of Two Head and used to go and see them play in Croydon back in the late 60s and early 70s. Fortunately I grew out of them pretty quickly.

Coldplay

Originally posted by @Sussexsaint

Coldplay

Good call. There are times when bands really should break up in order to preserve their legacy. The Beatles probably broke up at just the right time. Coldplay should have called it a day a few years back. Having said that I am off to see them in the summer. I really do not like the new album though.

Think I hit a nerve with the Genesis line.

But I will stand by that, and the reason I put that out there was a Documenatary about them on Sundance Channel (Where they were ALL back together and involved)

They made quite a valid point, which was they were formed as a PROGRESSIVE Rock Band. They Progressed, but their fans did not, they remained mired in the past.

Then there was the entire argument about the number of people that their music touched and how many lives it had impacted on “before & after”.

Anyways, I simply view them as 2 spearate bands and enjoy listening to all their stuff. At least they all continued to progress with different solo and group projects.

One other thought. whatever happened to the Arctic Monkeys?

My missus liked the Collins era Genesis (and she likes solo Gabriel stuff) but when I try and play her Suppers Ready or something like The Musical Box she turns her nose up. To be fair I like both eras although in time in have found I prefer the stuff with Gabriel and Hackett as it was more “progressive.” If Gabriel had stayed I am sure they would never have had the same commercial success. The main musical driver in the band though I think was the under praised Tony Banks. He adapted the music from Gabriel era to the less progressive Collins era brilliantly. to the extent that many Gabriel era people stayed with the band.