:brexit: Brexit - The Ramifications

Unnecessary bureaucracy and hypocrisy couldn’t be more evident. The issue of financial services is another example of first class “one rule for me”-ism.

“no way, not possible to have a trade deal including financial services”…“oh, TTIP? never heard of it”

Those who are against Brexit wail about how inept the UK is in negotiation because the EU is so strong in their approach…while those who are in favour shout “see, I told you they were cunts”.

The childish nature of negotiations from the EU and the apparent punitive nature of their intentions has done much to turn me away from it.

1 Like

I’ve become so fatalist about Brexit. I am assuming the UK economy will take a pretty big hit - it’s simply an issue of how big the magnitude of that hit ends up being. I’ve heard ranges from 0.5% reduction in GDP (which seems to be the general view of the most optimistic of Brexiters) to the ominous 8% of GDP. The negotiations seem to be chaotic with the UK not really knowing what it wants and the EU looking on in a rather bemused fashion and intending to play hardball and exploit our weakness. The optimisitic view that the EU will be pragmatic seems to be misplaced - they are determined to punish the UK to ensure no other country thinks leaving will be easy.

There may be a positive future somewhere in the distance but I expect I’ll be in my grave before we ever rech that point. All I can do really is hunker down and try to do the best I can in my job and hope it doesn’t disappear.

Bleak :lou_sad:

So, back to putting my fingers in my ears and going ‘blah blah blah, I can’t hear you’ every time another chapter in the Brexit saga gets reported.

Good lord, @bathsaint .

First, GDP is not the best measure of an economy’s health. GDP per head, and we might be employing a useful metric, both for describing our present situation and what the future might hold for individuals.

I’ve a lot of criticisms for both the present government and Theresa May, who I genuinely believe has no business running a fucking popsicle stand, let alone an advanced economy and a protracted set of negotiations. History will not forgive her for calling Article 50 without having both contingencies covered.

That all said, her speech on Friday was perhaps the greatest moment of clarity from this government, even if it does constitute a climb-down from her more bullish Lancaster House and Florence speeches.

As I predicted, even people that voted Remain are getting fucking frustrated with the diktats from the EU. Never mind about whether the EU agrees with May. They’ll not agree with Corbyn’s plan either, even though business leaders, the political commentariat and the general public generally accept that the plan for a new customs union will solve most of the problems, especially the one in Ireland.

Which brings me to my final point. As you may know, I lived three years in County Down. Ireland has both a special place in my heart and is something I feel I have a better sense of than most of my English compatriots. I feel privileged to have lived there in a time when the province was rebuilding itself, getting to know itself, actually feeling something in the way of prosperity and normality.

The UK does not want a hard border. The Irish don’t want a hard border. That the EU would imperil nigh on 20 years of peace and potentially re-ignite the Troubles, for their own poltiical project, tells you everything you need to know about them as serious players.

Our weakness for the last forty years has being tied to the aspirations of a dogmatic political set, that don’t even sit up and take notice when the far right starts populatin’ Parliaments in France, Germany and Austria - and is prepared to put the security of one of its member states on the fucking line to get what it wants.

The EU is fucking shameful and fucking indefensible.

Why have you started a sentence with a contraction, avoid mush, poor grammar as anyone could be reading this.

All over bar the shouting and I should imagine there will be a lot of shouting.

I guess it’s the same concept as the 80-20 software development principal…

Well that’s that then.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/976395662601400321

2 Likes
3 Likes

https://twitter.com/profanityswan/status/976396153955733504

3 Likes

It does makes me laugh when the Lib Dems and SNP are attacking the govt for selling out the fishermen .

The Govt sold out the fishermen for 21 months. The Libs and the SNP were going to do it (and still want to) forever.

Anyhow, how is lobbing dead fish into the Thames helping, the economy, food shortages, the environment, fish stocks, etc

1 Like

The “catastrophic” decline in French farmland birds signals a wider biodiversity crisis in Europe which ultimately imperils all humans, leading scientists have told the Guardian.

A dramatic fall in farmland birds such as skylarks, whitethroats and ortolan bunting in France was revealed by two studies this week, with the spread of neonicotinoid pesticides – and decimation of insect life – coming under particular scrutiny.

With intensive crop production encouraged by the EU’s common agricultural policy apparently driving the bird declines, conservationists are warning that many European countries are facing a second “silent spring” – a term coined by the ecologist Rachel Carson to describe the slump in bird populations in the 1960s caused by pesticides

@pap this isn’t an EU problem. It’s the whole world. The leader every time in derailing bans on pesticides, as far as the EU goes has always been Britain.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10025667/EU-overrules-Britain-to-ban-pesticides-linked-to-bee-deaths.html&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjKzbaTqv7ZAhUHzKQKHUWfApkQFggeMAc&usg=AOvVaw19pio8JSEFwG_9gjYBwNJP

If you would like a discussion on the whole subject, who’s behind it, the damage and all the future implications, i’m in. But it isn’t the EU’s fault. Sorry.

1 Like

The UK should have lead opinion and policy in the EU, but my opinion is that our leaders were too puffed up with their self-importance and mistaken belief of their influence on the world stage that a golden opportunity was shat on.

We’re where we are and whether we come out of Brexit with something better remains to be seen. Personally I’m not convinced we will but I know others believe the grass will be greener…

5 Likes

Yet another “funding” scandal.

Modern democracy is sure taking regular kicks to the gonads these days.

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it: Nicolas Sarkozy: French ex-president under formal investigation - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43491777

Sarkozy funded by Gadaffi??. Couldn’t make it up.

Why couldn’t you? I just made up that Nichola Sturgeon is funded by Bashar al-Assad, and that Merkel has shares in BHS and Toys-R-Us.

5 Likes

I have to say that I find apoplectic rage so many Brexiters are expressing on hearing the news that the tender for new blue British passport has been won by a Dutch/French company most amusing.

Expect a u-turn on this within a couple of days.

5 Likes

Could we have a source for the apoplectic rage so many Brexiters are feeling?*

What you seem to have provided is that the EU provides a framework for continent wide undercutting.

* If the source is your own imagination, don’t bother.

“Under EU procurement rules, the Home Office had been required to throw open the bidding process to European firms”

This looks like the crux of the issue.I suggest making the contract run to Dec 2020 and then retendering. Teeth gnashing, faux outrage and crowing averted

4 Likes

The Sun

The Daily Mail

The Evening Standard (I was a little surprised by this one)

The Express

HTH

Edit: Just seen the strap line from the Indie

Brexit: Leavers in uproar over ‘national humiliation’ as blue passports contract ‘handed to Franco-Dutch firm’