Buying on the Costa Del Sol

Posting in three years time on Sotonians; Spanish Underpass Saint (the Chertsey Saint account was sold for gin).

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Get a good Lawyer/Solicitor the legal side can be a nightmare…think British bureaucracy x100. Local taxes, registration, utilities, ground maintenance…OH just tell him to forget it.

Sold up when I saw the recession coming in 2007

How long did you own out there for? Did you also let? I know he’s not planning to.

Owned a town house in Marbella for 10 years in partnership with my brother-in-law. Didn’t let it, just let friends use it for a nominal amount. Letting means lots of worries about getting your placed trashed…and it will be to some degree. When we sold there were thousands of new properties unsold…if there are still lots of unsold new properties…don’t buy. I know people who have had their property on sale for years…they though they’d make a profit when they bought.

They certainly aren’t buying to make a profit. He has a young family and they want to holiday 3 or 4 times a year, without having to pay exorbitant holiday costs.

So buy somewhere here that earns enough rent to pay for your holidays? Do they really want to go to the same place on holiday forever?

For £100k? For 4-6 holidays a year? You’d need a return of £8k a year for that. I don’t think it’s the only place they’ll ever go, but good to just pack up and go to on random weekends. Weather good Feb to October.

They will still have to pay for flights/petrol to get there and back whether they own a property or not. My parents go to Portugal for 8-12 weeks per year and, after looking at buying somewhere, decided it was a much better deal to rent. Less headaches, more flexibility.

If they aren’t looking to rent it out for profit why do they want a property sitting there doing nothing for 90% of the year? If it’s just to say they’ve got a property abroad there are much cheaper ways of doing that!

Oh, and I forgot to ask, how old are they? 150k euros will buy 20 years of good holidays wherever they like!

They’re 30, so will need a few more years than that! Each to their own though.

Good luck to them anyway.

I bought abroad but it only cost me 5 and a half grand :lou_wink:

I bought abroad but it only cost me 5 and a half grand :lou_wink:

Goats will live in any old shed…and eat anything. :lou_wink:

1 Like

I bought abroad for five and half grand. Loved every minute, but all I had to show for it was a long hospital stay.

Chernobyl?

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Bucks

I bought abroad for five and half grand. Loved every minute, but all I had to show for it was a long hospital stay.

Chernobyl?

Syria?

Women.

1 Like

A lot of people seem to be doing the same at the moment…

I bet the locals are pleased.

I really like Spain. Adore it, actually - but that’s largely because I’ve spent most of my time in Castilla y Leon. The sight of a Dave’s Fish Bar / anything English would not be welcomed by me, and I’m just a Brit that thinks its shit that we can’t say “When In Rome”.

I don’t disagree with that at all, one of the beauties of going to Spain/Italy etc is the culture and the food, and it does seem to be rather diluted in some areas.

Yep - this year I had the misfortune to spend a few hours in Albufeira on the Algave. Thirty years of unchecked, British influenced development has properly fucked up what was probably a pretty little fishing village.

Try Quateira. Much better.

Originally posted by @CB-Saint

Originally posted by @pap

I bet the locals are pleased.

I really like Spain. Adore it, actually - but that’s largely because I’ve spent most of my time in Castilla y Leon. The sight of a Dave’s Fish Bar / anything English would not be welcomed by me, and I’m just a Brit that thinks its shit that we can’t say “When In Rome”.

Yep - this year I had the misfortune to spend a few hours in Albufeira on the Algave. Thirty years of unchecked, British influenced development has properly fucked up what was probably a pretty little fishing village.

Try Quateira. Much better.

There’s a cute little village called Maro. We stayed there on holiday a few years ago. It’s very near the caves at Nerja. Nerja is nice by the sea front but there are loads of urbanizations surrounding it.

If they have millions Sarb, then they/you should do it. If it is really your mate, definitely get them to do it. You’ll get most of the advantages without the bilingual solicitors looking at new Spanish land taxes on dirty Brits or whatever.

If they aren’t minted or aren’t going to live there forever or rent it, just tell them to hire villas. Same deal, can do it at a moments notice etc but don’t need to go to the same place every year.

I think the problem is the cost of holidays in the Summer with kids. When you’re looking at shelling out £4k in the Summer, and then probably £1k for every other half term in the year they think it’s worth owning a place. They will obviously go to other places on holiday, but it’s good to have a place that they will visit often for the odd weekends during the year. He also plays a lot of golf and will be going out a lot with his mates (and me) for that. I guess it’s one of those things where it’s relatively practical to do at the same cost per month of leasing a Merc (circa £6k per annum), and his money is doing fuck all sitting in a bank at the moment.

Good point, school holidays. Might be worth it then but bear in mind the cost of the flights will still be more during these times. Stallions ain’t dumb and doesn’t do deals when the kids are off.

Money thing to really think about is the annual maintenance costs, this could cost more than any school holiday trip.

Yeah of course, I believe these are being factored in though. Of course it will cover all their holiday costs and more, but I think it will end up costing them around £150pm on top of what their holidays usually would, and booking a year ahead of time will make a big difference with flights (or using AMEX points).

Tell him to give his money to charity. 4-6 holidays a year? Bloodsuckers.

If you knew how much he already did for charity (mainly alzheimers) I think you’d be pretty appalled at what you said.