Dame Janet Smith's Savile Enquiry Discussion

Esther Rantzen’s Childline had such a high-profile from the mid-80s onwards that I find it extremely difficult to believe that at least some of Saville’s victims didn’t contact her organisation for help.

1 Like

The suggestion amongst bulk Bacofoil buyers is that Childline is/was a gatekeeper organisation.

There to prosecute your common-or-garden council estate nonce, but more importantly, keep VIPs and malfeasance out of trouble.

See also: Crimestoppers.

Yeah, I’m aware of that suggestion, Pap.

Have Saville victims come forward to say that they contacted Childline about him?

Andy Kershaw was on the Today programme this morning. He mentioned that when he started at the BBC his boss, John Walters, advised him to give Savile a wide berth, describing him (Savile) as a really nasty piece of work. Kershaw said that there were persistent and consistent rumours and stories about Savile all around the BBC at that time; enough to give serious cause for concern. He also said he just couldn’t believe that all of this rumour magically stopped at a certain level of management, which is pretty much what we’re now being told.

2 Likes

Mike Reid was on Radio 2 this morning talking about Top of the Pops and what a great show it was. Never saw anything untoward etc etc. He did say Savile was weird though, funny that he didnt say anything at the time!

1 Like

As an aside, I think the change of thread title definitely adds clarity to the thread; but, on the downside, it has played havoc with Hypo’s (rather good) play on words.

1 Like

Awww, thats a shame :lou_facepalm_2: Given that he is being an arse again on TSW, tough shit!!

Is that so, SOG? I wouldn’t know: I haven’t got time to flit from one forum to another, so choose to spend my time on this one.

Good choice!!

I heard the Liz Kershaw interview this morning and she said all the right things but her one slip, as far s I’m concerned, is that part of her reason for not reporting Savilles behaviour was that she was young and had only just started her career and that would have ended it. So, what she’s really saying is that her career was more important than children being abused.

3 Likes

It would seem that a great many people turned a blind eye and put themselves first. I know that “things were different then” but kiddy fiddling is kiddy fiddling, no matter what decade you are in.

I know I’ve been very critical of others in authority for not reporting issues, especially on the issue of Rotherham, but we just don’t know if that is a fair assessment of the situation. You could be right; it could be case of people not wanting to rock a boat that is so difficult to get onto in the first place, or people were genuinely in fear for their lives over the issue.

I know that this is the Express (spit!) but there is a lot of speculation as to what Jill Dando was working on prior to being murdered in 1999.

3 Likes