⚰ Death

What is an OK age to die?

27 is the fashionable age if you’re looking at being music icon. For the rest of us i’m just taking it year by year :smile:

1 Like

I’m gonna live forever

Might learn to fly as well…

Oh crap

That’s not good - not good at all. Sincere sympathy to her family. I have a daughter…

2 Likes

Horrible news. When they go missing you always hope that they will turn up safe and well. Sadly, more often than not, they dont. RIP.

1 Like

No disrespect intended but this thread is meant for famous people. If we post about every person who dies it will endlessly be top of the page.

You may well have seen Bon Scott’s last ever gig, which was at the Gaumont shortly before he died.

In those days, AC/DC were so much better live than their studio stuff. I still listen to the handful of live recordings they did over the studio albums. I think the secret was Malcolm’s composition, big slow riffs with gaps that could be reworked easily into huge crowd pleasers.

Never got to see Bon Scott in the flesh, but I did see Malcolm and co perform one of their best gigs in the UK. By that time, Angus was already the de facto frontman. Much solo schoolboy wankery ensued, which is a shame, as Malcolm really laid the tracks for his younger brother to roll on, so well that there hasn’t been another AC/DC, and probably never will be.

1 Like

Bon Scoitt was on vocals the first time i saw them, then two, maybe three times with Brian Johnson. So i guess i the Bon Scott gig may have been his last, i didn’t realise that though. Four of us went to just about every Gaumont rock gig from 1976 for about 10 years. We had a good mate who was one of the managers there, he used to tell us well in advance who was coming and always reserved 4 tickets for us, row A, front circle right in yhe middle. A very handy mate to have. When the really top bands were confirmed, tickets would go on sale at the box office on a Saturday morning at 9-o clock. I remember people queuing down to the car park and beyond from teatime on Friday for Wings, (really disappointing), The Who,(they were brilliant), and probably a few others.

Apparantly the Gaumont was acknowledged by the bands as probably having the best acoustics of any theatre in the country which explains why so many great acts played there. The Who, Thin Lizzy, AcDc, Sabbath, Hawkwind, Rainbow, Roxy Music, 10cc, Ian Dury, Joan Armatrading were just some of the acts that come to mind, but there were many many more. Most of them i probably saw 2 or 3 times. Nothing really like it any more, one thing i recall is that as soon as the lights dimmed a roar went up and hundreds of cigarette lighters were flicked on as all the joints were being lit! Imagine that today?! Ah, those were the days, progress isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be.

4 Likes

Monumental dickwad, Charles Manson, has died aged 83.

Hmmm…50 years too late.

Is this the relegation thread?

I was at that gig … it set the benchmark for me as to how loud a gig should be to be fun … very very loud !! xx

Deaf as a post nowadays but it’s been worth it !! :lou_lol:

2 Likes

Ahh…you lost your hearing…but you still have your memories. :lou_facepalm_2:

Nasty piece of work. Him and his clan put an end to the Summer of Love and hippydom. Covered recently in the tv series Aquarius. Burn in hell you asshole.

1 Like

Hey ?

2 Likes

Wimbledon tennis champ Jana Novotna has passed away aged 49.

Here you are Steve…Boots online hearing check…I just did this and came out with “mild hearing loss” Interactive hearing test

1 Like

I had hearing aids fitted a few months ago. I have known for probably a couple of years that something needed to be done about my hearing but resisted it, burying my head in the sand i suppose. Really struggled watching TV, and in holding conversations in a group situation. I think maybe there is still a bit of a stigma about hearing aids, my GP pointed out that nobody thinks twice about getting glasses to aid eyesight, but getting a hearing aid is resisted. I suppose it is the final admission that one has joined the old farts brigade! I have to say it has been life transforming, i got mine from Specsavers, they did the hearing test, very thorough, and fitted them the same day. They are very discreet, you don’t really notice them, but the difference it has made to my life is amazing.

I never worked in a noisy environment, i am pretty sure that those ten years of gig going at the Gaumont, sometimes on a weekly basis, were the cause. I agree regarding ACDC, they were loud, although maybe The Who topped them. I think in the loudness stakes an American band called The Tubes were the loudest i saw at the Gaumont. I remember my ears were still ringing 24 hours later. Would i do it all over again? Fucking right i would!

2 Likes

Rodney Bewes RIP

I do like the likely lads

3 Likes