Everton V Saints Build up and match day thread

I was just about to ask the same…

Fit enough to be on the bench and didn’t play against WBA. Without VVD we needed to go as close to full strength as possible and Bertrand is probably our next best player after him. No Davis either.

I’d play Long and Rodriguez. Fuck it. Score a goal, get rested…great.

I know it’s due to the ridiculous schedule but I’m getting fed up of the chopping and changing.

Is Bertrand carrying a knock? I’m generally supportive of Puel but to leave out one of the best left backs in the country seems pretty odd.

1 Like

Also interesting to see that Harry Lewis is the GK on the bench.

Does Taylor have a knock, or is Frazer being given a message that he’s got to improve?

I’m confused.

I also forgot that VVD was suspended!

I do not like the look of that teamsheet.

They’ve actually done some good analysis on Soccer Special for a change. Watching where Davis picks the ball up from is a concern and explains a lot as he has been the link between Midfield and attack for us for the last few years. This Midfield three is too conservative and actually makes me miss the diamond! Ha

Go back to 4-2-3-1, get more men further up the pitch and stop fucking about Claude.

2 Likes

You forgot to mention.

Get it in the mixer.

Claude, defends the 6 changes here.

Originally posted by @Optimus-trousers

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:movie_camera:

#SaintsFC boss Claude Puel talks through his team selection for #EFC, ahead of kick-off at Goodison Park: https://grabyo.com/g/v/ogLcGiJRCaT

Retweets: 3

Favourites: 2

…consistently given rise to by Optimus trousers…beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

He says that we played 2 days ago and we need to rotate. I tend to agree with him in this instance.

He also states that Everton played 3 days ago (1 day more recovery) and yet they’ve made 4 changes.

Sounds like he’s getting touchy about rotation questions if he’s analysing the opposition rotation too.

I don’t like the look of that team. I don’t like our current form. I think we’re in for a tough time. 3-0 defeat.

Oh Christ. It’s Kevin Friend :lou_facepalm_2:

What was the minutes silence for?

Losing Cedric is a real blow.

Cedric off. FFS

Jack Stephens is on.

That’s a league debut, isn’t it?

Ralphie K spoke to the team beforehand ‘apparently’

This is a first for a long time.

15’ Fraser Forster comes out and claims the ball

I can understand some of the changes but not playing Bertrand today is bizarre. Our next game is FA Cup against Norwich. Surely that’s a game for McQueen?

I’m also not a fan or believer in swapping your centre backs. Keep the spine of your side the same for continuitys sake. If you’re fullbacks and wingers cover a lot of ground then by all means switch them about at times but I’m pretty sure Fonte is a good enough athlete to manage more games than he’s played. Not a single Europa game for him. I’d be miffed if I were him.

At the end of the day proof is in the pudding and results are what matter, performances come next. I’m sure we can agree that neither have been great, therefore I can’t see how this many changes are justified. It’s all well and good keeping players ‘fresh’ but what good is that if they aren’t on form or building any momentum?

Just feeling quite frustrated right now.

Few saves by Forster already. Well done Fraser!

1 Like

Good cover for Stephens there and strong against Lukaku.

Forster looks to have started well. Looks more alert and on his toes than usual.

We’re a good to average team being told to play average to poor football.

We look more aggressive / direct in the final 3rd than we have been away for a while.