Falklands

Distance doesn’t come into it, just because it is fashionable to be amiable to be seen to do the right thing we have a duty to look after the people who want to remain a part of this Nation, not just to sell them down the river as its not cool or too expensive.

Humanitarian corp look out we have some new enlistments.

I completely take your point about protecting our people Bucks, but seriously, WTF are we doing there anyway? When the war was on there was an awful lot of talk about potential mineral resources etc but apart from a load of sheep (ok, I know I am being simplistic but I am sure you get my point) I really dont see the attraction for GB to be there. In fact I cant see why Argentina are so desparate for the territory apart from the whole The Malvinas Are Ours And We Want Them Back shit.

Its similar to Northern Ireland, we don’t want to be there really but we have to and we have to respect what our citizens want.

Population of the Falklands Islands in 2012 - 2,932.

Population of Northern Ireland in 2015 - 1,856,168.

Agree with the principle of supporting our nationals but there is a big difference between the two, not just the population.

I would prefer that we looked to find a way to agree to share sovereignty with Argentina which would hopefully satisfy them as well as our nationals on the island.

1 Like

The use the Malvinas as a smokescreen to fool the people into a nationalistic fervour so they don’t look at how poorly the economy is doing, done it before and they’ll do it again.
The invasion was the best gift Thatcher ever got, she had to go but the Argies ensured she stayed in power, maybe that was their plan, clever if so.

I say fuck em… if they want to be British so much why live 20000 fucking miles away from the mothership? If self rule/govern is their choice then take it - declare themselves a nation and get the UN to back em. To me that is the most logical thing to do… They could have a new flag with Columbo on it as he is a Falk and thus Falkland …gettit?

1 Like

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Its similar to Northern Ireland, we don’t want to be there really but we have to and we have to respect what our citizens want.

Do you reckon?

The impression I get from most people outside NI is that they’re pretty ambivalent about what happens to it. People tend to lose their shit when the Falklands are under threat.

My thoughts were towards the UK Government, and there are an awful lot of English, Welsh and Scottish Loyalists besides the Northern Irish people. The UK Government has wanted rid of Ulster for a long long time but thry rightly can’t as the people wish to remain.

The Falklands was not some noble cause to ‘free’ Brits form Argie tyranny… it was Thatcher’s deparate attempt to appeal to Sun reading working class swing voters who were pretty fucked off after losing their jobs left right and centre - through a last bastian of emperialism

If you believe the evil bitch was in anyway concerned about the sovereignty of the island or the wishes of the locals then that is rather naive… this is the same fucking bitch who was friends with Pinochet who was happy to disappear his own people, so why would she care about a few folk who were so fucking British they chose to live 20K miles away and prefer the company of sheep?

For some fucking idiotic reason, maybe its because of our love for a war if started by a Tory, but not as keen when started by a Tony, Britishness…, the British public loved what she did… and voted her back in. To paraphrase another US fuckwit, '‘fool us twice, then we kind of deserve it’

The thing I hate most about British politics? The fact that about 3 million Sun readers decide who governs our country… ‘Gotcha!’ says it all really… :lou_facepalm_2:

Barry you can go on and on about right to self Govern all you like… but as I said in a previous post, if they want that, they should take it up with the UN, or move back here…

1 Like

The don’t understand the principle of self determination, freedom and deomcracy then. Why is the UN a go to for what I have mentioned? Maybe the “Argentinians” should move back to Spain and Germany let the indigenous peoples argue about the sovereignty of the Falklands?

Why should they leave the place of their birth to justify their right to be there?

I know some people sought refuge after World War II down that way, you’re not a part of that are you?

Barry, self determination should be just that… they want the best of both, independence but with protection form UK tax payers… Let them have self rule and declare as a nation… they will get international protection.

‘‘I know some people sought refuge after World War II down that way, you’re not a part of that are you?’’ - if you are insinuating what I think you are, you are on fucking thin ice…

The worry is that Cameron needs to salvage his flagging ratings and as explained above, if you need votes, nothing beats a good war.

With just about every department of his government in trouble, a chance to look tough over the Falklands would be ideal.

You’d like to think that in 2016 some diplomats could sit down and sort this one - but peace talks don’t win votes…

1 Like

Tote bants Mr Abandon totes bants.

Self determination means the people choose, what they choose is well whatever, it doesn’t neccesarily mean independence, it means the right to choose without outside influence or interference.

You’re wrong with your wording, a pattern is forming here.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

Barry, self determination should be just that… they want the best of both, independence but with protection form UK tax payers… Let them have self rule and declare as a nation… they will get international protection.

‘‘I know some people sought refuge after World War II down that way, you’re not a part of that are you?’’ - if you are insinuating what I think you are, you are on fucking thin ice…

Tote bants Mr Abandon totes bants.

Some things Barry are just beyond ‘bants’ - unless you are 14…

Look tough and lower spending on defence and take out a type-45, not exactly a way to look tough, the backbenchers are warming up for the EU, Cameron deosn’t need this.

Barry is available for all manner of discussions for a fee, obvious ones like this are available in all good pc’s, laptops, bookshops and papershops…

No-one gives a fuck to the same extent, Bazza. I still go over there all the time. There are still areas with red, white and blue painted kerbstones, letting you know where you are. Have to say, I find that level of fanaticism in being British a little unnerving.

I remember one time being in conversation with a unionist and republican, best mates as it goes. I idly say “Back in Britain…”. Unionist matey bangs his fist on the table and says “This is Britain!”.

Besides, as you say, the option of the Republic having the North back has been on the table ever since peace talks were initiated. The south weren’t too keen on having the North last time they were asked, and the North chose to be self-governing. I’m not saying that there is nothing left unvocontested, but there is a political framework, North and South, to contest it all and put their case to the voters.

My personal view is that there is a lot of opportunism and propaganda on both sides. The Argies really don’t have any historical or legal rights to the islands, but it’s hard not to take a detached view of the situation and think it’s a little odd that we maintain a community of 3K Brits on the other side of the world.

Because we have to respect their right to remain, the discussion can go on forever but will end there everytime.

Ireland, its been a long love of mine reading books concerning this, the UK in short would love to get rid but again it cant (nor should it do so as long as the people in the province/6 counties choose to remain), the South can’t afford it nor could it afford a civil war which is what would happen, the British forces could not be redeployed so it would fall into the hands of the UN who are shite so its all in a quandry.

Everybody is playing the correct long game which still will end in bloodshed but not as bad and that is the demographic vote, in maybe 100 years the North will have to join the South via democracy, no one can argue then, well they can but the people will have spoken.

(Dublin have never been asked Pap, their constitution already claims the 6 counties as Ireland)

Oh don’t be a cunt Gay.

Language Timothy :zipper_mouth:

3 Likes