Favourite footballer...who hasn't played for Saints!

6 Likes

Just a shame that Kuntz never played in the same side as this chap:

Image result for footballers with rude names

but the Germans did have a perfect pairing at U23 level
Image result for footballers with rude names

10 Likes

Favourite, without doubt Pele. Favourite English player - Colin Bell.

This thread is the totally homogayrotic wet dream of a 13 year oldā€™s mind. Looking forward to the whoā€™s your favourite lubed up WWE superstar thread next.

My favourite non saints player is Robbie Rogers.

BTW Jimmy Greaves played for Saints in 1988ā€¦The Steve Mills Testimonial gameā€¦he wasnā€™t listed in the program but came on as a sub in the second half and scored at The Archers end.

ITKā€¦I was there. :lou_lol:

3 Likes

Paul Scholes. The end.

3 Likes

Bell?

1 Like

Upvoted in sympathy Eric :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

Always liked Robbie Fowler ā€¦ at his peak, one of the best ā€˜natural goalscorersā€™ Iā€™ve seen

Adebayo Akinfenwa - dumped by AFC Wimbledon now at Wycombe

ā€œThe Beastā€

Everything about his appearance say he is not a forward, or even a footballer, butā€¦

The 1970 Brazilian team had a huge influence on me and my mates. On our daily kickabouts most people chose to be Pele, Jairzinho or Rivelino, but because I fancied myself as a bit of a play-maker, dribbler and fancy-flick merchant, I always bagsied being this fella:

(I suppose Sticky could be on to something because I was about 13 at the time)

3 Likes

Good shout, Halo. Iā€™m guessing Iā€™m about 12 years younger than you. Me and my mates all wanted to be Zico, Falcao or Socrates

3 Likes

Wayne Shaw became everyoneā€™s favourite other footballer last night.

And here is the article that includes the You Tube Videoā€¦

Of him playing for?

Saints!

Shearer actually used to play with him as a youngster but he cracked a joke about the pairā€™s differing career paths since those days:

ā€œI followed my dreams to the Premier League,ā€ Shearer said. ā€œHe followed his to the burger van.ā€

FollowPie Sports Booze :underage:

Iā€™m afraid iā€™ll mention more than one. always enjoyed watching Pavel Nedved, Rui Costa and Zidane when the Italian football was at broadcast on C4.

Closer to home, Gazza was excellent as was Scholes. A rather prosiac choice would be Lee Trundle. Skillful and scored some cracking goals.

1 Like

Gullit

Zidane

Xavi

Scholes

Pirlo

Hoddle

Alonso

They really should have won the WC in 82ā€¦

Socrates was a bit of a philospher as well apparently ''True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.ā€™ā€™

Roberto Baggio mentioned on Football Weekly. Now fifty. FW recommended his '90 goal against Czechoslovakia. Entirely right to do so.

Mentioned previously - Tony Currie - in his Leeds day for me. I used to really like Alan Hansen as well, maybe any imperious Liverpool centre backs of the eighties and seventies. Sammy Mcilroy also. Couple of West Ham fro bros - Alan Sunderland (might have made that up). Think itā€™s a lot to do with the fact you only really saw players in FA cup and Euro, so Iā€™d have to include Tony Woodcock - played when men were men and I think a lot of men took the piss out of his name and got clattered. Gary Lineker - good player. Pipe and slippers time.

I find it difficult to really name any I liked that didnā€™t play for Saints.

Iā€™ve already given George Best as my favourite but itā€™s a grudging ā€œfavouriteā€ as back in the day he was also someone who also tormented meā€¦invariably playing well against Saints.

That was enough to earn my dislikeā€¦Iā€™m more a Saints fan than a Football fanā€¦blinkered, thatā€™s me. :lou_eyes_to_sky:

3 Likes

Iā€™m half-Polish so my boy Lewandowski violating Real Madrid when playing for Borussia in 2013 was pretty awesome - glad Neville was on commentary to give his hatrick the reaction it deserved.

His header against Arsenal last week was brilliant as well. Gets up high, wins the ball, directs it right into the corner, all whilst bouncing Mustafi the fuck down with his chest. Absolutely brilliant.