📽 Films I have seen

I watched Thrumbo recently. Very enjoyable if you’re into this sort of period in C20th US history.

Got Sing Street and Spotlight to watch tomorrow.

By the Bewbs of Lindsay Lohan!

Yay! FINALLY got to see the original Machete movie last night.

You may remember the discussion about the sequel on here, well local satellite finally showed the 1st one this week.

Obviously Mrs D_P was off to build something within 30 seconds of the opening credits (not a fan of gorefests) and it showed no hint at that point of turning into the quality comic book gross comedy cult movie that followed.

Amazing cast DeNiro, Don Johnson, Steven Seagal all hamming it up, plus Machete gets to bed Michelle Rodriguez Lindsay (and her Mum at the same time) AND Jessica Alba all inside a 2 hour movie (has to be some kind of record that)

(Lindsay plays a drug fuelled nympho bimbo obsessed with self publicity - genius casting, where did they get that idea from?) Oh did I mention great Bewbs? Or Jessica in the post shower scene? (No bewbs but SMOKING!)

Gone straight into my top 10 cult movies.

Still lol’ING at how he uses a baddies innards to jump out a window…

Lot of relevance today with Trumpisms as well.

Loved it.

Get beer in. Watch it

How does one become an actor?

Sing Street. It was assumng in small parts and utterly shite at the end. A crap version of The Commitments IMHO.

3/10

Son of Saul, an utterly disorientating and gripping journey through Auschwitz in 1944 from the point of view of a Hungarian member of the Sonderkommando. The film has been commended for its realism and the way that it’s shot is incredibly immersive - the camera rarely moves away from behind our protagonists shoulder - giving the whole film a sense of desperation and fear from start to finish. While it didn’t quite live up to all the hype for me, it’s still a film I would highly recommend watching, if not for the experience rather than the storytelling.

Sicario

Disappointed. Wafer thin plot. Looked good though and I did enjoy it - just not as much as I thought I might. The violence of Mexican bordet towns was over egged too - I’ve spent time in two of the cities in this film - not quite the warzone they were made out to be,

TedMaul is just about to fuck you in the butt dry.

Thats a shame. I’d disagree on the wafer thin plot, it a 2 hour drama that has to set up emotions and fulfill them. It’s a problem that Hollywood has to deal with in the age of Netflix etc. Looked good … Was shot by Roger Deakins, the best DOP now and in the recent past. Cinema is so dominated now by Marvel/Disney who own everything including Marvel and Star Wars and Pixar. If you love movies its a sad time

If you love movies it’s never a sad time. There are loads of really great movies. Most people are yet to watch great movies. Marvel/Disney?whatever? nonsense. If you love film you will seek it.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

How can this scene be improved

This is land of wolves now

It was left down by the script IMO. Turns out the script writer has worked on Sons of Anarchy which, in hindsight, makes sense.

Roger Deakins is amazing that much is true. ‘Assassination of Jesse James…’ is probably my favourite of his.

Take any of this with a huge pinch of salt. I’m a fan of the computer game on which this movie is based (it’s dire already, isn’t it?) but I watched the Warcraft movie. It’s pretty patchy in places, and I couldn’t tell you whether someone not into the lore would enjoy it, but it entertained me for a couple of hours.

Time wise, it really does start at the beginning, before the events of World of Warcraft, or even Warcraft III. As of yet, there is no scourge or undead kicking around. The focus is on the conflict between orcs and humans. The orcs are led by a warlock, who’s pretty much fucked up the world they live on. He’s able to create portals to other worlds by draining the life force from peeps. A contingent of orcs plops through to Azeroth, a world populated by humans, orcs and elves, on a supply run. Their nefarious plan is to collect enough souls to open the gate again, and bring the rest of the Horde through.

A lot of the orcs aren’t particularly happy about the plan, or the use of death magic, so there is internal conflict with them. The film centres on efforts to prevent the rest of the Horde from coming through, with a focus on the newly forged relationships between the invaded humans and the discontented orc contingent.

The good. It looks fucking amazing, easily eclipsing the excellent work that Blizzard has done on its WoW cinematics. I love the way everything looks. They’ve nailed the balance between the rather cartoonish art style of the video game and authenticity. As a game nerd, it’s something of a thrill to see familiar locations.

The bad. Some of the performances are sketchy. Dominic Cooper couldn’t be more wooden if he had branches growing out of his head. Ben Foster’s turn as the mysterious guardian Medivh isn’t helped by some of the things they have him say either. “You do not know the forces I contend with”. That sort of bollocks. I reckon some filmgoers would have wanted a more definitive ending. Some game fans might defend it with “well, you can’t kill such and such”, and I’d sort of agree, except they do knock off some people that are big players in future lore.

imdb gives it a 7.3.

My rating would be a 7.

I think Phil might like it a bit more due to the “what have they been smoking?” factor. He might give it an 8, and ask what the makers were smoking.

Tbf, when I saw the trailer at the cinema it was pretty obvious I’d only be enjoying this film if I was smoking something.

1 Like

Spotlight = Proper filmaking. Well worth watching if you’ve an IQ.

I gave it a meh Pap.

Or “its not LotR Universe” so simply didn’t care.

One for you.

War Room. Guess an Indy Brit movie

Bunch of luvvie Civil Servants get locked in a room to play out responses to an escalating Nuclear Threat.

All the action takes place in one room and all the Parlor Politicos gradually get annoyed by the opinions or decisions of the other luvvies.

A few CND member jibes. A complete nothing film but actually gripping. It had a Dave type just needed a Jezza.

Being based allegedly on actual scenarios it is very scary to see how they reach a point…

And anything more becomes spoilers.

I imagined Pap drooling and tweeting updates when he watches it then ranting at his screen…