šŸ“½ Films I have seen

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

Peter Sellers classic comedy ā€˜Iā€™m All Right Jackā€™ the other week and could hardly believe some of the racial comments in it.

Tks i have not seen that one. Sounds good! I will check it out!

1 Like

Originally posted by @Fatso

Originally posted by @pap

The ā€œIndiansā€ are either evil bastards that rip peopleā€™s hearts out and practice vile sorcery, powerless childless weaklings or food perverts.

They sound like the Muslims.

Lordy. Times have changed since The European Union thread, @fatso .

The European Union Thread.

Really Cob ?

ā€¦ youā€™ve only got yourself to blame if he goes on one :lou_wink_2:

ā€¦ and youā€™ll get fed up long before he does

2 Likes

Weā€™ve discussed your inability to understand humour before.

3 Likes

Originally posted by @Bearsy

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

Peter Sellers classic comedy ā€˜Iā€™m All Right Jackā€™ the other week and could hardly believe some of the racial comments in it.

Tks i have not seen that one. Sounds good! I will check it out!

Some good news and some bad news.

Here is a fantastic Peter Sellers interview. Enjoy.

Bad news. He was born in Southsea, and is therefore a skate. The interview is also from the seventies, and is almost racist by definition.

A critic once decried him, stating ā€œthere is no Peter Sellers. Heā€™s just a series of impressionsā€. If thatā€™s true, Iā€™d like to think that the shame of being from Portsmouth led him to his vocation.

Anyone fucking else but them.

I canā€™t help myself Steve. Itā€™s like some strange compulsion, almost like a disease. Itā€™s like hitting a wasps nest with a stick to see what happens next!

1 Like

Trust me. Iā€™ve had a year long duel with @barry-sanchez and was duly bested.

Leave it alone, mate. Itā€™s not worth it.

Just skip to the bit where you enjoy beers before games, is my advice.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @pap

Bad news. ** He was born in Southsea, and is therefore a skate.** The interview is also from the seventies, and is almost racist by definition.

A critic once decried him, stating ā€œthere is no Peter Sellers. Heā€™s just a series of impressionsā€. If thatā€™s true, Iā€™d like to think that the shame of being from Portsmouth led him to his vocation.

Anyone fucking else but them.

I didnā€™t know that Pap ā€¦ hero to zero in one post !!

Sellers not you Pap :lou_wink_2:

Iā€™ve been on a bit of a Sellers trip lately, @cobham-saint . Watched Strangelove for the third time. He really was an extraordinary performer. From what else Iā€™ve seen, he seems unable to turn it off.

I suppose his modern equivalent would be Steve Coogan, who above all else, is a fantastic impressionist and like Sellers, has a touch of the unknowable about him.

1 Like

Oh and to darling @fatso - Iā€™m well aware of your nuances these days. I knew you were making a quip. I decided to play along and introduce relative newcomers to one of our most interesting early threads. I wasnā€™t trying to do you up.

If we are going to continue with the ā€œassume the worstā€ motif, can you at not least attempt it with some imagination? Itā€™d be as accurate, but a potentially limitless source of amusement.

e.g.

You are @pap pap. On the 28th June, 1914, in Sarajevo, you gunned down Archduke Ferdinand and his wife Sophia, sparking a conflict the world has never recovered from.

I donā€™t want to steal your thunder and do any more examples, but if you are going to assume the worst, can you at least provide some creative licence?

x

Iā€™ve mentioned The Pass before. Written by an old mate from Southampton. Heā€™s up for a BAFTA tonight!

**ā€œOUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER **
The Pass: JOHN DONNELLY (Writer), BEN A. WILLIAMS (Director)ā€

I watched John Wick last night. Excellent film. Very basic premise. You really can fuck with the wrong people, or person.

1 Like

John Wick 2 out in the cinema soon, I might go and watch it on the big screenā€¦

I started to watch a film on the plane yesterday called

Keep up with the Joneses

What a pile of shite it may be that straight to airlines is the new straight to Video for films

Truely awful

1 Like

Watching Hot Fuzz as I type.

C_S family favourite - multiple viewings.

The greater goodā€¦

:lou_lol:

The Inflight Movies Review.

Dr Strange. Another well packaged Marvel adventure. Up to their usual standards, obviously not being a Comic Geek I have no idea how it compares to the Mags.

Enjoyable if a couple of poiunts that bugged me.

1. Strange becomes superstar Magic Shit capable in about days - minor niggle

2. Benedict has to do an American accent - wrong wrong bloody wrong. OK sure Strange IS an American but this wasnā€™t Benedict so lost a huge part of why he should be in the film. Sure he ā€œactsā€ OK but once he puts on a Tunic instead of scrubs he ANNOYINGLY becomes Lord Baelish from GoT. An image I could not get out of my mind especially with the grey streaks of hair.

Inferno

Dan Brown novel Tom Hanks back as that annoying Doctor bloke.

Shit. Sorry just shit. The film is well photographed in Florence, yes it follows the book so I remembered a lot of the story as we went along, the PROBLEM is that Tom Hanks is clearly not bothered - acting by numbers. Soul-less, lifeless and in the end just no engagement with the characters. Im sure he got a nice cheque for doing sod all. In the end, it even spoiled and contaminated Felicity Jones and spoiled my drooling over her

Critics Consensus: Senselessly frantic and altogether shallow, Inferno sends the Robert Langdon trilogy spiraling to a convoluted new low. - Rotten Tomatoes

Arrival - on the way home.

Not as bad as I had feared. Decent story, but they did seem to go all mystical at the time when they should have been more detailed - how or what does she understandā€¦

The other thing I disliked was itā€™s attempt to be all Interstellar with the choice of music.

Best of the 3 was Dr Strange & I know Iā€™ll watch that several more times over the years as the Marvel - verse integrates, Arrival? meh.

Inferno? Dog shit.

@dubai_phil agree about Inferno, itā€™s amazing how things just fall into place in the film (and Iā€™m sure the book).

Arrival was good as a concept, donā€™t think Iā€™ll be watching it again for bits I may have missed.

Not seen Dr Strange yet.

ā€“

Watched Assasins Creed last night, what a crock of shit, avoid.

1 Like

Is it just me or are there very few interesting Sci Fi / Action or old fashioned Thriller ā€œnew moviesā€ about at the moment (as in on air / on demand etc).

The choices all seemed a bit Bridget Jones to me

Been on our first trip to the cinema (that isnā€™t a premier) in 4 years. Went to see T2 Trainspotting. We really enjoyed it. Liked seeing what happened to the characters and felt it would be quite believable from 20 years ago. It did advertise Edinburgh quite well.

Magnolia ā€¦ PT Anderson, his breakout movie, he was in in a relationship with Aimee Mann, but her soundtrack is something else. He rewrote scenes after listening to songs