Fonte. Will he stay or will he go?

Originally posted by pap

He’s been dead to me since he celebrated lg 1 promotion by cutting his hair. Fkn sell out.

:lou_eyes_to_sky:

That said, if he goes to Spurs he can go fuck himself.

6 Likes

I tend to agree with this, sad though it is.

In a vacuum, if United offer say, £10Mn for Fonte then yeah, we should in all objectivity accept.

But c’mon. I don’t follow football to watch our club chug along making boring, sensible and pragmatic business decisions. I need loyal heroes to support!

Bit like Lambo, are you going to deny him a loyal workhorse the chance of a last mega payday / a chance to do something we can’t offer him before he’s too old?

Well I certainly wouldn’t actively try and prevent him from leaving! I’d make an effort to persuade him to stay; I’d point out (rightly) that he’d be a few seasons away from a testemonial and could cement his place as a local hero. I’d note that there’d be very little chance of him getting many games under Mourinho, who’s a manager with no qualms whatsoever about signing a player as a pure backup option.

I’d also point out Lambert! Who I’m afraid, had the miserable time up at Liverpool that many suspected he would have. I’d point out Schneiderlin, who had sealed his place in the French national team until he moved to United, got benched and stopped playing.

I’d ask him to consider whether it would all really be worth it - but if his heart was set on going, then so be it.

2 Likes

Don’t forget Everton and Liverpool.

He’s probably just greedy, not stupid.

Though he might fancy a go on Lovren’s missus…

1 Like

My mate was working in Chilworth, building a basement and a little dog wandered onto the site. He picked up the little dog and called the number that was on the ID tag attached to the collar. Would you believe it, the voice on the other end of the phone was only Fonte, who at the time (couple of weeks ago) was on some R&R abroad (USA i think).

i was waiting for him to say he took it back to Mrs Fonte, handed the dog over and said “Nice growler!”, but he didn’t.

Anyway, it seems to me, that if it looks like Fonte is off, my mate now knows what the dog looks like, so I can get him to kidnap the dog for ransom, to be released subject to the signing of the new contract.*

* only joking of course, i wouldn’t advocate such behaviour.

3 Likes

In Cortese’s day Jose would be waking up to find a little furry hot water bottle in the bed…

Um

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Optimus-trousers

Sourced from A tweet by SimonPeach tweet

@SimonPeach - Simon Peach

Lots of talk about #SaintsFC captain Jose Fonte but from what I hear he is not going anywhere

Retweets: 43

Favourites: 57

…melancholically built by Optimus trousers…beta v1.8

3 Likes

I certainly hope so. He cost us fuck all (£1m in 2009?) so not a business decision at all.

I don’t think £1m (or however much it was) in those days was fuck all - They probably had to dig down the back of the football equivalent of the sofa to cobble it together…money well spent though.

Clearly I was speaking in relevant terms. Today, £1m might buy you half an hour with Ibrahimovic.

Just in case my point wasn’t clear - you cannot put a figure on the negative psychological impact that selling your captain at this stage of the season would have on the team. Especially with Maya as your backup.

Basically, making a profit has a time and place (eg Pelle), however Jose right now is not one of them.

4 Likes

I agree SS. Need to keep him. Your point was clear, thanks.

Rightly or wrongly & has been mentioned by others on different threads, a lot of supporters want to hide behind the sofa when Maya gets the gig…

Rightly if he’s in as fullback. Wrongly if he’s in as centre back. In my book.

7 Likes

Extended until 2018 :lou_lol:

1 Like

yeah, but didn’t he do that in October?

or are you talking about Maya?

Um

Duncan Castles@ DuncanCastles 15m15 minutes ago

Jose Fonte asks Southampton to honour gentleman’s agreement over summer transfer. # SAINTSFC # EFC # MUFC # POR

Was in the papers this morning