Football grounds visited

Oh and if we are doing non-league… Go on then! 2015/16 season.

Aldershot Town EBB Stadium
Barrow Holker Street 5,000
Bromley Hayes Lane 5,000
Cheltenham Town Whaddon Road 7,066 - several times while living in Cheltenham
Eastleigh Silverlake Stadium 5,200 - several times when living in Southampton
F.C. Halifax Town The Shay 14,061
Grimsby Town Blundell Park 9,062
Lincoln City Sincil Bank
Southport Merseyrail Community Stadium 6,008 - several times while dating a women from Southport.
Torquay United Plainmoor 6,500 - first football ground I ever went to.
Tranmere Rovers Prenton Park - best not talk about this classic cup game!
Woking Kingfield Stadium 6,036 - several times when living in Guildford.

1 Like

Oh boy I remember going to Somerton Park around 1968 or '69. We’d drawn Newport County in the cup and they taken us to a mid-week replay. I’ve never seen a ground like it…the broken concrete terraces were patched up with rotting railway sleepers and the surrounding speedway track had clipped the corners off the playing area. Corners had to be taken off coco-nut matting. :lou_surprised:

It was a big deal for them…they packed as many as they could into the ramshackle stadium and thought it a good idea to position four rows of church hall folding chairs for little kids on the grass behind both goals.

All was going well…we were 3 up until they got a goal with about 20 minutes to go…hundreds of little kids swarmed all over the pitch…it took a few minutes to get all the little dears back into their church pews. Five minutes later they scored again to make it 3 - 2 and the kids went ape-shit…it was hilarious.

We held out for the win after about 8 minutes of extra time…a memorable away day. :lou_lol:

1 Like

One of my earliest away days as a wee ankle biter. Sat up in the stands watching punch ups down below, can’t remember anything about the match!!

1 Like

One I’d love to visit is Cathkin park in Scotland - abandoned and left to run wild - the pitch has now been refurbed and is played on but the spectators share the stands with trees - kinda cool