Football Nostalgia

The purpose of a scarf in the late 70’s early 80’s was to show your allegiance to the team, we kept warm by running from the thugs who were ruining football at the time.

The only reason silk scarves existed was so you could keep them and bring them out a few decades later - and scarf is probably the wrong word.

I didn’t see many artic explorers using them on expeditions when the temperatures dropped and the winds got up.

I think mine ended up in box’s in my old man’s loft when I departed the UK for the delights of Dubai probably still there with the Scalextrix and air guns

Somewhere in the loft I have a silk scarf that proudly proclaims Southampton - League Cup Winners 1979.

They (Coffer Sports?) used to make two lots in advance and sometimes the odd incorrect one didn’t get destroyed.

You need a picture of it, put on the dark side and tell them it was a conspiracy we did actually win.

I used to play football on Saturday afternoons, then have a few pints after the game. Back home for cottage pie and beans. Out to the pub in the evening with my mates followed by a Chinese or Indian and then into the local wine bar for afters. Up with the lark on Sunday mornings for another game of footie followed by a few pints and then home for Sunday roast and a snooze after the football on the telly. Happy days.

1 Like

Three goals on there from Big Ron and none are headers! Loved to see Hollywood getting stuck in too. Some of those early games looked like Sunday park football!

1 Like

…and then my dad won the princely sum of £62 on the Football Pools and we bought our first TV…it had a 14" screen, one channel and doors on the front.

England used to play matches on a Wednesday afternoon KO 4pm IIRC. Dad used to collect me from Glenfield Infants on a Wednesday as it was his half day and I can remember watching Stanley Matthews and Tom Finney serving up crosses for Nat Lofthouse as we huddled around our giant TV screen. Watching England was OK but not like the real thing.

Is that nostalgia or what you are currently wearing Kev? :lou_wink_2:

2 Likes

With my silk scarf?

@Lets-B-Drinking has probably g done all of them at some point

Of the current 92 I’ve never seen games at Shrewsbury, Fleetwood, Burton, Cheltenham, Morecombe, Accrington, Forest Green, Grimsby, Harrogate and Crawley.

Well you’d best get to it then.

Could conceivably do a Crawley game with you.

if you wait a season or two you could do them all with Saints as the opposition.

4 Likes

The only one I haven’t seen them at of the rest is Sutton, where I saw Eastleigh. You can add Wrexham, Notts County, York, Yeovil, Barnet to Oldham, Southend, Torquay to grounds I’ve been to.

1 Like