France to ban petrol cars by 2040

@cobham-saint is to America what bazza is to Islam. Why all the hate, CS? Are you a transgender soldier?

1 Like

Trump is already facing a rebellion on his industrial policy and individual states have the power, in many cases, to institute local ordnance. California is one of the world leaders in green tech, largely because they had such tremendous problems with smog in LA.

Elon Musk is apparently on the verge of producing battery technology that is going to be game-changing in addressing the rather ephemeral nature of power right now. There’s a huge amount of money invested in his firm Tesla, previously loss making, that is riding on him pulling it off.

We’ve had two countries declare we’re moving off fossil fuelled transport in the past week. I genuinely think this is indicative of global concerns finally realising that the oil paradigm is over. Putting my cynical foreign policy hat on, this will of course, put a vast dent in the price of oil, and significantly change the balance of power in the Middle East.

1 Like

Hey sweet cheeks, want to play with my bayonet?

:lou_is_a_flirt:

That’s partly true… the main reason for California’s green credentials come down to energy security and blackouts in 2000 caused by Enron and other major companies screwing the system. I think they may have had energy security issues again last year.

“… Putting my cynical foreign policy hat on, this will of course, put a vast dent in the price of oil, and significantly change the balance of power in the Middle East.”

Hadn’t thought of that Pap. Good point.

I hope Tesla succeed as they’ve done great things, as has Musk in other areas. Will be very difficult for them though, it’s thought that they won’t make profit from their new models at its current price. Even if they ultimately failed, they’ve still caused all the traditional firms to act and have dragged fully electric cars forward by at least a decade.

As for general government policy on cars/pollution, perhaps a scrappage scheme could be used to prevent the ‘running into the ground’ scenario? Would be fairly amusing: incentivise people to buy diesels, then incentivise everyone to scrap them. Amusing that is, if it wasn’t vital public spending that is used for it.

2 Likes