🐉 đŸ’ș ⚔ Game Of Thrones /spoilers

Young Adult #2 stayed up last night to watch it.

Tbh, haven’t watched any of it but read all the books and had a good conversation with Tom about whether the latest series is effectively slash/fan fiction

Guess it doesn’t matter if it’s good. I remain blissful in my ignorance :wink:

Beyond getting near the whole world interested in fantasy, its main legacy is going to rolling “no one is safe” die and meaning it. The Walking Dead, which has been running a bit longer, almost did that, except people were safe. Rick was safe, as was Maggie. Both actors have left the show but neither of their characters died.

It’s just an illusion, of course. Looking back on what’s been there so far, it’s easy to see who was actually safe. What both show and book do very well is diminish their importance through dilution. The books in particular go on some fairly dizzying tangents, to places we don’t really need to visit, with characters we don’t really need to see.

Many of those characters either didn’t appear or are composited into other ones. I think the show makes some smarter decisions than the books, but some sillier ones too. It was correct to drop Quentyn Martell and the whole Griff thing, but we really could have spent more time on the Iron Islands.

That said, even at twelve seasons you’d never be sure if GRRM would get around to finishing the rest of the series. He’s been on several more tangents himself, padding out the history of the world rather than letting us know what happens next in the main series.

1 Like

Just watched GOT but have had a spoiler about TWD! Struggling to find somewhere to watch last series.

Normally your house is a good call, or if you are struggling for WiFi then Costa is normally fine.

GoT just gets better with this latest episode and Can’t wait til next week

I thought it was very good too, although some people on the Internet are having a proper moan about it being low on ye olde spectacle. Knowing what is about to engulf Winterfell, the show needed an episode like this, basically an episode where we get to see all our remaining characters chat shit before things turn shit.

Excellent episode. Without many such moments as collected in this show, we would not give a fuck about these characters. As it was, some genuinely funny and heartfelt moments.

Next week’s episode ought to be a roller-coaster. The longest battle sequence ever put to film or TV, outdoing the Helms Deep affair in The Two Towers. Those criticising this episode for being quiet shall have plenty of loud by this time, next week.

2 Likes

Yeah, I thought it was a cracker. One last goodbye when you don’t yet know who you’re saying goodbye to.

If you’re just about to face death you’re going to e.g. get pissed, get laid, chat shit about big stuff. I thought it was great that in a short season, with so much to pack in, they took the time to let this episode breathe.

3 Likes

Maisie has forever ruined herself for me now. No more will I see the sweet, young innocent.

Saying that she is 22 years old!!

Yeah, that was all a bit awks. I think it’s because she was so young when the show started and prior to her tryst with Gendry, hadn’t taken on many inches.

Arya didn’t want to die a virgin :grinning:

She’d obviously read the Westeros version of SaintsWeb and thought “fuck, I don’t want to end up like that”.

Finally got to watch the episode. I found it quite funny. Maybe a bit asks re Arya as we’ve watched her grow.
Is there going to be an issue with the youngsters in the crypt?

Well the dead come back to life and you hide in a crypt?

Bit odd to me.

3 Likes

Episode 3
 holy fuck!

1 Like

Just about one of the most incredible pieces of television you will ever see
 no spoilers from me, but simply stunning. You will not be disappointed.

PS. read some mixed reviews, but TBH, their complaints are those of obsessive fanboys, as opposed to just letting yourself get lost in the story

4 Likes

:scream:

No words. We had to watch the last 15 minutes again.

1 Like

Spoilers ahoy

I’ve watched it twice, the second time with DTS sound, which was pretty special. Last night we watched it on my missus’ dodgy box (oo-er, etc) which made a dark episode even darker. Saw the genius of it the second time round.

Cynical head on, these battle episodes are cheaper and easier to make when they’re set at night. Darkness hides a great deal of the technical problems you might experience during a day battle. Realistically, this battle couldn’t have taken place at any other time. Even on a literal level, Night King, init.

I wasn’t surprised that he met his end this episode, and I was delighted with the person that eventually landed the killing blow. It’s utterly coherent with the show world plot, having been set up in at least four places during the course of the show.

The real headwrecker for those that have seen the show from start to finish is that Littlefinger had to kill John Arryn and set up the Statk / Lannister conflict for this outcome to occur. Characters would not be where they need to be. Arya would not have become the decisive rogue that brought the Night King and his empire of death crashing down.

Melisandre predicted early on that she would close a lot of eyes, brown eyes, green eyes and blue eyes. She became a master of stealth and fighting in the dark during her time in Braavos. The religion she served worshipped the concept of death. The Night King and the White Walkers are blasphemous for the followers of the Many Faced God, established to facilitate death, not cheat it. Inside the episode, a drop of her blood hitting the floor was louder than her moving across it. That final move, foreshadowed in her duel with Brienne, was a genius touch.

The death count wasn’t as high or as terrible as I thought it might be, but the significant characters that did go out went out with style, and usually in defence of other beloved protagonists. Stirring stuff. The lost will be missed.

I’m glad this has been wrapped up this early. Who is Arya’s green eyed victim going to be?

3 Likes

Cersei? She is defo on her list.

My 3 favourite characters ended their stint in this episode, fucking gutted, amazing show and can not wait to get all of them on blu-ray.

1 Like
3 Likes