Greatest ever Saints game

I’ll add the Marsden game at Portman Road. Another cracking 3-1.

In a big week where we play Liverpool, how about some of these?

1989/1990 Sat 21 Oct Southampton 4 - 1 Liverpool

1993/1994 14 Feb Southampton 4 - 2 Liverpool - in the snow.

1997/1998 Sat 07 Feb Liverpool 2 - 3 Southampton League

2000/2001 Sat 26 Aug Southampton 3 - 3 Liverpool League

2003/2004 Sat 13 Dec Liverpool 1 - 2 Southampton League

2013/2014 Sat 21 Sep Liverpool 0 - 1 Southampton League

Away games that I have been at, that stand out for me.

QPR 1-4 Southampton 89/90

Tottenham 1-3 Southampton 89/90 - FA Cup

Luton 3-4 Southampton 90/91

Man U 2-2 Southampton (2-4 after pens) 1991/1992 FA Cup

Norwich 4-5 Southampton 1993/1994

Sunderland 0-1 Southampton 1996/97 - not great game, but the last under floodlights at Roker Park.

West Ham 2-4 Southampton 1997/1998

Wimbledon 0-2 Southampton 1998/1999

Leicester 0-4 Southampton 2001/2002

Ipswich 1-3 Southampton 2001/2002 - Chrissy Marsden!

Man City 0-1 Southampton 2002/2003 - Last game at Maine Road.

Spurs 1-3 Southampton 2003/2004 - we got hoddle the sack!

Palace 0-2 Southampton 2011/2012

Posh 1-3 Southampton 2011/2012

A few others to note, that I was not at in recent years -

0-8 at Wolves

0-6 at Oldham

2-3 at Millwall

Some cracking memories in here.

Most of mine are relatively recent. The 8-0 was fantastic, as was the 6-1 against Villa.

Loved the 3-2 comeback against the Pool last season so much I lost the ability to make coherent noises.

4 Likes

Last season’s Liverpool comeback is right up there for me. Only hate them recently :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

I don’t hate them anymore. All settled down when Rogers cleared off. Still want to beat them of course, one of my best mates is a Liverpool fan, FROM LIVERPOOL.

Saints 3:1 Man Utd

1996 the grey shirt debacle.

Think Le Tiss for one, can’t remember who else scored.

Great game. 3:0 up at half time

Good times.

As alluded to by several other oldies, 76 Cup Final and the Mick Channon Testimonial (plus Open Top BUs Parade in between) wil never be beaten in my eyes, but a couple of matches for sheer entertainment and atmosphere stand out for me from Lawries Hey Days.

Season after The Cup Final win, we’d already knocked out Chelsea, next up was Cloughies Notts Forest away. Cup Fever was at fever pitch and we took about 12000 up and completely took over The Trent End. The match was end to end throughout with the game going from 0-1 down, to 2-1 up and then in the space of a few minutes 2-2, 3-2 (Ossie with a sensational 25 yarder into the roof of the net in front of us) then 3-3. What a match, what an atmosphere!! We won the replay 2-1, 3 days later without the need for major squad rotation and only 1 sub available. Funny that!!

The other was a 3-2 win at The Dell over Man U (1981?) including the Keegan disallowed goal. Another pulsating match, amazing atmosphere and a brilliant ending with Armstrong scoring in the last minute to seal the deal.

Too many others to mention so I won’t even start a list of contenders for the honour who just missed out!!

4 Likes

Yes, Eric, those two 1977 FA Cup matches against Forest are stand-out memories for me as well. I was somewhere in the middle of those many thousand Saints’ fans at the Trent End, and, being on the short side, struggled to see much of the match at all; but the atmosphere was truly amazing, only to be bettered a few days later at The Dell!

Forty years ago, bloody hell; there are times when it seems like yesterday.

1 Like

We might have one of the smallest trophy cabinets in the Premiership but we do have many golden memories. We have also been blessed with more than our fair share of quality players over the years for a small to medium sized club.

1 Like

Originally posted by @ericofarabia

As alluded to by several other oldies, 76 Cup Final and the Mick Channon Testimonial (plus Open Top BUs Parade in between) wil never be beaten in my eyes, but a couple of matches for sheer entertainment and atmosphere stand out for me from Lawries Hey Days.

Season after The Cup Final win, we’d already knocked out Chelsea, next up was Cloughies Notts Forest away. Cup Fever was at fever pitch and we took about 12000 up and completely took over The Trent End. The match was end to end throughout with the game going from 0-1 down, to 2-1 up and then in the space of a few minutes 2-2, 3-2 (Ossie with a sensational 25 yarder into the roof of the net in front of us) then 3-3. What a match, what an atmosphere!! We won the replay 2-1, 3 days later without the need for major squad rotation and only 1 sub available. Funny that!!

Yeah, I remember this one Eric. You’re right, the atmosphere was amazing.

After the game a bunch of us were chased, by what seemed like hundreds of Forest fans, down a long steep hill on the way back to the station. There was snow on the ground and we were met half way down by a line of police with dogs, trying to stop us running. Like an outtake of Ski Sunday about 50 of us, unable to stop, slid through them with the momentum of a runaway train … it was like skittle’s. I recall picking myself back up and continuing my flight, only to look back just at the moment a second wave of Forest fans, mostly on thier arses by then, smashed into the ,now somewhat dazed, police ranks lol

… It was all a bit nervy but what a fuckin’ RUSH !!!

Saints 5 Leicester 5. c 1978-80

Been many great moments but that is the one nobody I know who was there will ever forget.

The Alan Ball Temper Tantrum and Kick Off & their keeper never even moved

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

In a big week where we play Liverpool, how about some of these?

1989/1990 Sat 21 Oct Southampton 4 - 1 Liverpool

1993/1994 14 Feb Southampton 4 - 2 Liverpool - in the snow.

1997/1998 Sat 07 Feb Liverpool 2 - 3 Southampton League

2001/2002 Sat 26 Aug Southampton 3 - 3 Liverpool League

2003/2004 Sat 13 Dec Liverpool 1 - 2 Southampton League

2013/2014 Sat 21 Sep Liverpool 0 - 1 Southampton League

That’s the one that sticks in my memory, if only for that Pahars goal, and it was 2000 was it not?

“It’s le Tissier, high and hanging and it’s Pahars, they’ve only gone and done it…”

Originally posted by @Dubai_Phil

Saints 5 Leicester 5. c 1978-80

Been many great moments but that is the one nobody I know who was there will ever forget.

The Alan Ball Temper Tantrum and Kick Off & their keeper never even moved

Well you have!

It was Coventry and it was in May 1982.

1 Like

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

Originally posted by @ericofarabia

After the game a bunch of us were chased, by what seemed like hundreds of Forest fans, down a long steep hill on the way back to the station. There was snow on the ground and we were met half way down by a line of police with dogs, trying to stop us running. Like an outtake of Ski Sunday about 50 of us, unable to stop, slid through them with the momentum of a runaway train … it was like skittle’s. I recall picking myself back up and continuing my flight, only to look back just at the moment a second wave of Forest fans, mostly on thier arses by then, smashed into the ,now somewhat dazed, police ranks lol

But were you on the Footy Special train that broke down on the way to the game, somewhere in West London, with Wembley in view?

They had to send a replacement diesel and we got to Nottingham at 3pm as the game kicked off. One major sprint, including stopping people running off to Meadow Lane in error and we got to the ground after about 10 minutes, only to be told The Trent End was full.

So instead we were put down the side terrace, straight into the arms (and fists) of some very disgruntled Forest fans and a large scale battle ensued, which only stopped to watch Robertson score the penalty to go 1-0. It was half time before the police could get it under control.

Originally posted by @Lets-B-Drinking

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

But were you on the Footy Special train that broke down on the way to the game, somewhere in West London, with Wembley in view?

They had to send a replacement diesel and we got to Nottingham at 3pm as the game kicked off. One major sprint, including stopping people running off to Meadow Lane in error and we got to the ground after about 10 minutes, only to be told The Trent End was full.

So instead we were put down the side terrace, straight into the arms (and fists) of some very disgruntled Forest fans and a large scale battle ensued, which only stopped to watch Robertson score the penalty to go 1-0. It was half time before the police could get it under control.

Yep, was on that train and on the receiving end of a knuckle sandwich or two, in the side terrace. I was only about 16 at the time and it was pretty fuckin’ scary.

2000 yes last season at The Dell. That come back, beat Man U and Arsenal. Nice.

Quite a sentimental game for me … as I knew it would be my last visit to The Dell. At 3-0 down I was thinking this really isn’t how I want to remember this ground which has given me so much pleasure over the years!!

Those last 20 minutes were magical, another 3 mins and I reckon we’d have scored again. Quite an epic farewell indeed.

That one I do remember.

Was taking the family on a vacation to Aus with a stop in Thailand on the way there - I spent an age in the airport at BKK trying to find a TV and the score and oh shit 0 - 3 so I was about to walk out the bar when biff bang boom and that was a really happy flight

The Ex chipped in with her “Oh calm down it’s only a football match” (plus she was a scouser)

Wednesday 25th February, EFL semi final, 2nd leg.

Liverpool 0 Saints 1.

Not the best game, but we won and we’re off to WEMBLEY!!!

2 Likes