šŸ”„ Grenfell Fire

Wow. I do realise that this forum has a massive hatred of the Tories, but FFS making capital out of this tragedy when the dead are still being discoveredā€¦

How do you know austerity is to blame? Yes it might be. But despite all the rumours and speculation, nothing is certain yet. It could be that some changes were recommended which did not happen due to cost cutting, It could be that there were no such recommendations. It could be that some work was carried out by a contractor, which was shoddy or not to standard. I have no idea and I very much doubt you do.

4 Likes

Iā€™m with journalist Willem Buiter about this.

ā€œself-regulation stands in relation to regulation the way self-importance stands in relation to importanceā€.

3 Likes

We will see, wont we.

Really!?!?!?

How you can conflate the events of the tragedy with your political viewpoint to form some bizarrely warped rant against the ā€œevils of Capitalismā€ is beyond me. Quite sickening, actually.

No one knows the facts. Irrespective of any culpability one thing that is certain is that no-one would have intentionally set out to cause this tragedy and for you to try and get some bizarre political capital out of it is incomprehensible.

3 Likes

Okay, while we are waiting for the facts, here are some more facts for youā€¦

Tories voted against the motion to improve the safety standards of sub standard homes.

The Fire Minister was among 72 Tory landlords who voted against making homes ā€œfit for human habitation.ā€

The report on safety concerns of high rise flats was ā€œsat onā€ by Mayā€™s Chief of Staff.

7000 fire personnel axed since 2010.

41 Fire Station closed since 2010.

10 Fire Station closed in London,

Fire budgets cut by 15%.

Fire related deaths up by 15%.

As you say, sickening.

2 Likes

Reports on the radio this morning that the fire resistant cladding would have cost 5K more.

For the whole building.

Here is another - it was a labour government that gave the Landlords a free hand with fire safety - but that doesnā€™t fit in with your narrative.

1 Like

And it was Labourā€™s amendment to that bill which was voted down I believe.

"Our records show a Celotex product (RS5000) was purchased for use in refurbishing the building. Full technical information on all of our products is available here on our website. If required, we will assist with enquiries from the relevant authorities at the appropriate time. Due to the nature of this developing situation it would be inappropriate for us to comment or speculate further on this tragedy."https://www.celotex.co.uk/

Celotex RS5000 has a Class 0 fire rating which is the nearest to inert you can get and is required for all public buildings - stations, airports etc
https://www.celotex.co.uk/products/rs5000

The issue here is that the product was rated are fire retardant under a number of safety standards. Maybe the blame should start at whoever approved the product

I literally cannot think of a better example of the evils of capitalism. No more shining example of how under our capitalist system, profit is more important than people.

Possibly over 100 dead and however many more homeless? For what? 5 fucking grand? 100 people dead to save five fucking grand.

housing, particularly social housing, are issues inseparable from politics. When the government votes against making accommodation safe and fit for habitation, people will take issue with it.

and just look at the rest of the fucking tories, you only have to mention deregulation to see the likes of Liam Fox and Jacob Rees-Mogg (any brexiteer, tbh) salivating. This is just the cost of business to them.

what do we think is going to happen to the residents that have lost everything? Where are they going to go? I canā€™t imagine many of them are going to be able to stay in Kensington - where there a huge numbers of luxury homes left empty and uninhabited - banking land for profit.

how you figure this isnā€™t political I have no idea. These peoples lives have been shattered for entirely preventable reasons. People have died to save five fucking grand. Fuck anyone that says itā€™s nothing to do with politics or capitalism.

7 Likes

And Ā£200k for a sprinkler system. Not a huge amount when you consider the total cost of the refurbishment.

5k for the whole building 23 story. High I think you may mean 5k per piece of cladding

For all those on here who know for certain what the cause of the deaths were (beyond the obvious) and who is exactly to blame, can you please post up a copy of the Fire Service report. Oh and call the police to let them knew.

3 Likes

You are going way off point here. Sadoldgit tried to establish a direct link between the victims of the fire with Tory austerity. The two are entirely different and one does not lead to the other. Irrespective of how angry you get and how much you lose your temper and how wronged you feel, Tory austerity is not directly responsible for the deaths of the victims anymore than it would have been with any other colour of Government. It is responsibole for a number of things, but not the deaths. Negligence of specification, construction failures, inept building regulations, penny pinching social landlords, incorrect exacuation advice in the chaos of the moment may all be jointly to blame, but to use the deaths of victims for some rant against austerity is way out of order. Tory policy does not stop Councils or Social Landlords from putting in sprinkler systems and changing cladding specifciations. There are far more apt and rational arguments to use against austerity.

Nope, it was either Ā£22 or Ā£24 per panel.

I down voted you because you are taking facts and creating your own narrative and then using that to justify a politcal point.

So the alternative cladding cost Ā£5k more - ok, that is nothing in the grand scheme of things and when presented like that it sound horrendous. However the product used was given the maximum fire rating of Class 0 - it doesnā€™t get much better than that. Now consider the quantity surveyor who has to choose the products - why wouldnt he choose a product that has the highest fire rating? When presented with a choice of product which on face value does the same thing (in this case fire retardancy) and one is slighty cheaper that the other, why wouldnā€™t you choose the cheaper product.That doesnā€™t make him some evil capitalist.

In that case who ever signed the Lets do this paper is guilty of homicide

This perplexes me why they are not compulsory - but building regs permits this. Builders will operate within those parameters, that doesnā€™t make them evil either, they are in fact abiding by the law.

1 Like

Yes Iā€™m angry. I make no fucking excuses for that. These peoples lives were lost to save money. It was easily preventable.

1 Like

Austerity has certainly affected the firefighters. And what about the Tory landlords voting against the amendment and the ignoring of the safety report? Like it or not, politics plays a part in this tragedy