Hampshire Cricket 2016

We’re off to Headingly tomorrow, for a tough examination away at Yorkshire in the County Championship.

That should be fun. :lou_eyes_to_sky:

Can’t we play against York City instead?

At least it’ll be out of the way early on.

1 Like

Well, I wasn’t quite expecting that.

Hants won the Toss (we’re better at wanking than cricket aparrently) – and elected to bowl first.

And at lunch, I was pleasantly surprised to find that we have Yorkshire down to 80-3 already!

Adam Lyth it seems has remembered how to open the batting, and remains Not Out on 39.

James Tomlinson (a left arm pace merchant who I like and can still improve further) removed Alex Lees for 7 , Chris Wood had Gary Ballance caught behind by Wicky Adam Wheater for 12 , and Ryan McLaren wiped out their Captain Andrew Gale for a duck. Lovely stuff.

Jonny Bairstow is currently unbeaten with Lyth on 16.

Having learned my lessons, I am not going to tempt the fates, the vengeance of Allah, the wrath of Jahweh, or being struck down by the noodly appendage of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and be overly celebratory of our current position – though I will say that it has certainly been a good start, against probably the best side in the Division.

Keep it up lads! :lou_lol:

Panning out more like expected now.

Yorks currently on 143-3, with Lyth and Bairstow putting on a decent partnership (65 & 51 respectively).

James Tomlinson has bowled a tight line, and has decent economy figures of 2.00 an over, but Ryan has been loose, offering up 4.70. Fidel and Chris both in the 3’s.

Ugh. Already up to 155-3 since I started typing.

No further inroads. Yorkshire are 235-3 at Tea.

Hopefully the Hants Coaches are “philosophically exchanging continually” in order to find a way to get a breakthough.

Update: Two Wickets!

Yorkshire now 270 -5.

Sean Irvine pinned Adam Lyth LBW for 110, and Chris Wood had Jack Leaning caught behind in the gloves for a solitary run.

Jonny Bairstow is currently 107 Not Out, and shares the crease with Adil Rashid on 7.

That was your fault!

In future let’s not get too excited about any innings until the last wicket has gone.

2 Likes

We DIDN’T win the toss. As the “away” side we get the choice of bowling first or a coin-toss to bat first.

Bairstow, like Ian Bell, gets runs against us regularly. Lyth gave an easy c-b to Edwards early on and made us pay.

Originally posted by @Lets-B-Drinking

We DIDN’T win the toss. As the “away” side we get the choice of bowling first or a coin-toss to bat first.

Ahh, cheers for that info mate. Is that a relatively new change, or have I just been wrong for years?

It’s a new change this year to stop the home team “doctoring” the wicket to their playing style (or something like that!)

4 Likes

Thanks mate, I thought I was going mad. Or at least, becoming more so than I already am.

Urrggh. 345-5.

Safe to say we’re not going to get (m)any bowling bonus points this season!

1 Like

Hampshire Cricket@ hantscricket 3m3 minutes ago

Tomlinson has his second wicket! Rashid (34) has caught behind by Wheater for his fourth catch of the innings. Yorkshire 348-6.

Woot! Get in James.

BBC Solent Sport@ solentsport 9m9 minutes ago Portsmouth, England

. @ hantscricket 's Chris Wood limps off with a knee problem in the middle of an over at Headingley

BBC Solent Sport@ solentsport 8m8 minutes ago Portsmouth, England

. @ hantscricket 's Will smith comes on to bowl. This suggests Dawson not fit to bowl

Oh great

What a wonderful day.

Still, it could be worse. We could all be at Headingly.

1 Like

BBC Solent Sport@ solentsport 8m8 minutes ago Portsmouth, England

not a good morning session for @ hantscricket as @ YorkshireCCC are 506-6 ( Bairstow 209*) 236 runs scored in two hours!

“Not a good morning session” being a euphemism for playing like a bunch of useless cunts.

2 Likes

What a knock by @ Liam628! A maiden Champ ton for the @ YorkshireCCC man, coming off a mere 82 balls # ProperCricket

The only good thing about that tweet, BTW, was that there was a GIF of Emma Stone under it, in my twitter stream anyway…which, bizarrely, was embeded as a movie not a GIF.

Link here for any Stonites

1 Like

BBC Solent Sport@ solentsport 2m2 minutes ago Fareham, England

. @ yorkshire declare on 593-9. (@ TAlsop9 2-59) @ hantscricket need 444 runs to avoid follow on

OK anyone want to have a guess at our score?