Hurricane Harvey

I checked in with some Cuban friends in Havana. One lives a street away from the Malecon (road on the seafront). She had got all her little houses belongings up a floor and told to bee 600 metres away from the front. I’ve seen the photos of Havana and pretty sure her house was flooded. She rents out rooms to tourists so may have extra cash to get back on her feet.

I’ve also read about the lax planning permission in the US where houses are being built in flood plains. These tend to be cheaper and poorer people end up living there. It destroys the natural flood defences too. But some people have made money so it’s all good.

Obama

https://www.floods.org/ace-files/documentlibrary/FloodRiskMngmtStandard/EO_and_FFRMS_for_News_Views.pdf

One snippet:

Use data and methods informed by best-available, actionable climate science;  Build two feet above the 100-year (1%-annual-chance) flood elevation for standard projects, and three feet above for critical buildings like hospitals and evacuation centers; or  Build to the 500-year (0.2%-annual-chance) flood elevation.

Trump