If You Could

Originally posted by @Flahute

Transfer you current standard of living/work to any place in the UK where would you live?

I think I’d quite like to live in Brighton. Always struck me as a cool city with a great vibe and it’s on the coast.

My Mrs would opt for Dorset, west of Portand.

100% Brighton. I have always wanted to live there. It has a great mix of posh shops in the Laines and your tat shops for great and some crappy old bits and bobs. It is friendly and very diverse. I would have loved my kids to grow up there. Managed to spend a bit of time there in 1996 with my girlfriend who was at uni there. It would also be a great place for my cheesecake business.

Now it will have to wait until retirement, but have a feeling it may never happen now as all the family are moving up to the great border city.

… But Carlisle is pretty cool as well and felt at home straight away!

For me, it would be either Bristol, Bath or Totnes. I quite liked Shrewsbury, but it was a fleeting visit, so can’t really say if i’d want to live there. Harrogate was nice too, as was York, but again, fleeting visits.

Quite like to come home to the New Forest, much as I love where I live at the moment I do miss it

To be honest I love where I live, Poole has everything I need, sea and beaches in summer, New Forest one way, West Country the other.

If I was going to move I’d go up to Pickering in Yorkshire, hate cities so would love the quiet chilled life of living in the country!

I m in Ashurst and am quite content - the only thing I miss is being on the water front.

Parts of Oxfordshire are beautiful by the Thames, Hampshire Eastern part are lovely also ie Curdridge to Shedfield/Bishops Waltham area.

Brighton is a cool place and have been there quite a few times, the queston is painful yet true no one wants to live “in” Southampton as compared to Brighton and others its boring, why? The correct question is when its a large City with a huge overspill, why is Southampton such an average place to live when others around it are far superior?

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Parts of Oxfordshire are beautiful by the Thames, Hampshire Eastern part are lovely also ie Curdridge to Shedfield/Bishops Waltham area. Brighton is a cool place and have been there quite a few times, the queston is painful yet true no one wants to live “in” Southampton as compared to Brighton and others its boring, why? The correct question is when its a large City with a huge overspill, why is Southampton such an average place to live when others around it are far superior?

I have a mate who lives in Finstock (north of Witney for a point of reference) and he’s taken me around that part of the Cotswolds a fair bit. How the France could I have forgotten about that part of Oxfordshire. Beautiful.

I could cope with living in Endinburgh from what little of it I saw when I visited in 2014. But, having said that, I don’t really know what the suburbs are like.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Parts of Oxfordshire are beautiful by the Thames, Hampshire Eastern part are lovely also ie Curdridge to Shedfield/Bishops Waltham area. Brighton is a cool place and have been there quite a few times, the queston is painful yet true no one wants to live “in” Southampton as compared to Brighton and others its boring, why? The correct question is when its a large City with a huge overspill, why is Southampton such an average place to live when others around it are far superior?

Large number of people in poverty?

When we’re you last in Southampton? Changes are happening but it may all be a bit too much gentrification for you.

Sorry where did I write large number of people in poverty?

read the post above mine b.

3 Likes

Sorry. Should have said maybe the large number of people in poverty in Southampton means it is “an average place to live” and does not have the wow factor you are looking for.

There was another question in my comment if you still want to answer. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by @Numptyboi

I have a mate who lives in Finstock (north of Witney for a point of reference) and he’s taken me around that part of the Cotswolds a fair bit. How the France could I have forgotten about that part of Oxfordshire. Beautiful.

About 5 miles from where I live. It is beautiful round here. Full of 2nd home owning vermin though. As well as a lot of really nice people.

December was the last time I was in there and will be back down hopefully in 2/3 weeks, no it certainly doesn’t have the wow factor.
Poverty is everywhere unfortunately but that shouldn’t stop a City from trying to pull the punters in, as soon as a cruise ship docks people fuck off.

Nice! My mate’s a native. I always enjoy trips up there and we always seem to end up in The Royal Oak in Ramsden - nice pub. Love the local area too and wouldn’t say no to setting up base there at all.

Everyone is getting onto Bazza Oxfordshire ideas, get out of it and go to Berkshire or Warwickshire, Oxfordshire is mine all mine…

Two other stunning areas of the Country are east or York towards Yarm and back down to Malton.
The other is the quieter area surrounding Penrith, stunning and highly recommend.

I’ve just put a red line through Oxfordshire.

2 Likes