In modern day football was the 2015/16 season

Think we’ve got gd chance of winning Something in next 5 yrs srs. That is my Prediction.

4 Likes

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Trophies play a huge part, denial of that is an excuse for mediocrity. This acceptance of a fixed system is part of the problem. we should be questioning such a poor unequal system, they did in the NFL.

True. Good luck with getting that corrected.

Too many clubs (including ours) are of the opinion that the system aint broke so don’t try and fix it.

The NFL is doing brilliantly since its reform, why don’t we reform ours? The clubs? When have they been on the side of the fan?
The system is broken though, a big fat bloated corrupt system,

Is our League even the best with the money it gets?
No.

Does it have the best players?
No.

The best stadiums?
No.

The best atmospheres?
No.

And don’t get me started on the shite players this Nation produces, we produce seriously shit National football teams and again we are woefully under achieve at the highest levels of the game.

We should merge with Portsmouth, Bournemouth & Brighton and make one big South Coast trophy-winning Franchise Club.

2 Likes

This thread smells of the other place.

And poo.

2 Likes

I am ok with a System Reform that gives us equal chance of winning trophies as Man Utd, as long as it doesn’t mean we also have equal chance with Bristol Rovers.

2 Likes

Sunderland? In recent years? Boro? Newcastle? 3 north east clubs who are crying out for a thophy!

Pin recent times, as in the past at the dell we were pushing way above our weight. We are now a pretty good club, but we have only been back in the big time since 2012!

Stoke?

Sunderland won the Cup 3 years before years and have won numerous trophies.

Newcastle yes are desperate for silverware but have won more than us.

Boro League Cup 2004 and got to the Uefa Final 06, I would argue we are bigger than Boro now.

Again I would say we are bigger than them now.

I disagree that football at boardroom level should be all about winning, nothing else.

That is the road to administration - followed by another administration - and a few years in League Two.

The business has to be managed within a framework that embraces solvency, there must be balance between income and spending to achieve success.

If it was all about winning then everyone would grossly overspend themselves into oblivion.

The days of a local mill owner funding his football club are gone, we have to be properly run and that means accepting that we cannot compete financially with the top four.

7 Likes

Didn’t we just win the Euro’s ? :lou_lol:

Down voted for even sugggesting such a thing as them from down the wrong end of the M27 and us in the same breath.

Boro are perhaps the worst example you can use.

I think Jack Dee said at the time.

“Poor old Middlesbrough. Beaten in two cup finals, relegated and to top it all off they have to go back to Middlesbrough. I hope they’ve had a hot meal”.

Wigan did better.

I didn’t mention them, SFC did I countered saying we are bigger than them and they have won the League Cup and been in a UEFA Final since we won the FA Cup in 1976.

Its a tricky one because we’ll never know just how financially conservative we’ve been insofar as we don’t know what the risks would have been in terms of spending money.

For me, the big chance was the January in the season before last, with us being 3rd in the League right up into late January - and if I remember correctly, having a 3-6 point gap between ourselves and Arsenal in 5th.

Would it really have financially crippled us to spend £20-30Mn or so? Particularly when we had extremely liquid assets to sell in the summer in the form of Schneiderlin/Clyne/Wanyama/Mane/Pelle if we did miss out and had to cash in?

This run of fixtures immediately after January when we all knew that we needed a striker will forever haunt me.

| Feb 15 | Southampton | 0 - 1 | Swansea City | - | - | + | 0-0 |
| 7 Feb 15 | QP Rangers | 0 - 1 | Southampton | - | + | - | 0-0 |
| 11 Feb 15 | Southampton | 0 - 0 | West Ham Utd | - | + | + | 0-0 |
| 22 Feb 15 | Southampton | 0 - 2 | Liverpool | - | - | + | 0-1 |
| 28 Feb 15 | West Bromwich | 1 - 0 | Southampton |

We are a conservative club as are our fans, for better or worse that’s what we are.
Being well run is something we should expect but why don’t 15 or so similar sized clubs just come out with the obvious truth and say they will never try to win the League as they can’t afford to?
We want a League where by anyone can win it any season, the NFL was reformed and its works and they are happy with the reforms and the franchises there are huge, its about will and the acceptance of corruption.

I don’t like to point to the elephant that’s been sat in the corner for a while, but are we still pretending that this thread title makes sense? :smile:

Does life make sense Rallyboy?
My point is if the knife is hot why not ride the bike.

3 Likes

Difficult to argue with that, have an upvote.