Ingeerland's Next Manager

Disappointed. Wanted Sadiq Khan personally.

2 Likes

Allardyce then. Such a seemingly bad appointment it’ll probably work.

3 Likes

he’s got passion and the capacity for a heart attack.

6 Likes

That is one great big massive fat meh

1 Like

Think I am the only one who quite likes him. Much better character than the last few. Think he will do better than some of the others have.

6 Likes

Can he do any worse? I suppose he could fail to qualify.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m strangely enfranchised by this imminent appointment, I think he’ll show the precious loves who play for the “big” clubs that they actually need to be a good player to play for the national side.

And, as I said earlier, hopefully we won’t see Sterling in an England shirt again (unless he’s buys a replica top to go on holiday with)

5 Likes

I guess he needs the job seeing as he was stupid enough to get ripped off for ÂŁ13k in that Xmas hamper scam.

…apologies Barry / MLG for the reference to a religious festival. What was I thinking?

:lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Think I am the only one who quite likes him. Much better character than the last few. Think he will do better than some of the others have.

No your not … I like him too.

It’ll be refreshing to have an England manager who isn’t full of shit !!

Could be the right guy given our current underperformance. Should get the defensive shape and organisation sorted out at least. Hasn’t always played hoofball and hopefully with some of the players at his disposal he’ll only use that tactic as plan b or c.

2 Likes

The big club players will look down on him, until strangely our league goes bust and I can’t wait until it does then we’ll suffer further ineternationally, we need more players playing abroad learning the game there where its actually successful, we breed racehorses with a good engine.

Are they just paying him in pies?

I can see no other reason to appoint him.

No lessons learned. Completely backward or standing still while regressing step. Standard FA approach then

Sorry Bucks, tired old doctrine, like the last 5 steps forwards have actually worked!!

Harry Redknapp will be kicking the fuck out of the dog right now.

“Harry! Stop! You’ll kill it, and all our money is in its name! The next of kin is a facking puppy!”

2 Likes

At least with Big Sam in charge we won’t get relegated.

1 Like

Probably against the tide here, but I think Big Sam is a good appointment, when considering the options available as the FA want to stick with an Englishman. The players should come primed and ready from their clubs. What is needed is an infusion of passion, pride and teamwork, which Hodgson wasn’t able to deliver and Sam will be better at this. He’s labelled as a bit Mike Bassett, but there is more to him than that.

We should play to his strengths. When we go to a tournament, all we need to do is convince him that he’s not at an international tournament at all, and he is in fact, playing in a relegation six pointer each and every game.

In the TV listings, the game would be billed as England vs France or whatever, but we’d intentionally delude Sam’s mind to the point where he thinks it’s Burnley vs Sunderland in a must win game.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter who the manager is. It’s impossible to succeed in the current situation

We don’t produce enough decent players. If Jordan Henderson was Spanish he wouldn’t have been a footballer. If Xavi was English he wouldn’t have been a footballer. It’s 63 years since the wake up call - losing at home to the Hungarians 3-6. We’re still at root suspicious of skill and tactics. and if you doubt that stand on the touchline of a kids game. When my boy was playing the games were on full-size pitches, with full-size goals. Not sure if that’s still the norm but I wouldn;t be surprised if it was. The parents and most of the coaches knew nothing but thought they knew everything about football (remind you of some forums?)

We focus on the big kids. We produce leather-lunged footballers who can run all day and have loads of ‘heart’ and ‘desire’ but little skill. When players come along with God-given skills we’re suspicious of them. MLT was just one of a very long line. Any decent players emerge in spite of the system rather than because of it

Next, the organisation of the professional game is in the hands of the FA - the most dysfunctional organisation in the history of organisations. Can you ever remember the FA doing something and you thought ‘good idea, yes, I’d have done that’? No, me neither.

The out-of-touch bumbling amatuerism of the past (county FAs and blazers) has been replaced by pots of money and corporate on-message Blair-speak about ‘the England way’ (people brought in from private industry who are not ‘experts on football’ Nice suits though)

And of course I’m sure the Premier League doesn’t help. Chelsea and Man City win the youth cup year after year but none of them make their first teams

As an aside - one thing to ask that’s relevant for England is ‘why don’t Scotland produce players any more?’ From the start of league football in the 1880s up to the Premier League in 1992 you’d be hard pressed to find any successful team without any Scots - usually as crucial players. The last were Strachan and McAllister for Leeds - the last league winners before the PL - and Colin Hendry for Blackburn in 1995. The Scots always punched above their weight, Now they’re awful. I think that is what awaits England

So - all this is before considering the bit that a manager can influence. Sure Roy made mistakes - Wiltshire, Sterling, Rooney, etc. But we wouldn’t have won it with the players at our disposal now, whoever had been in the squad or the team

Pardoxically in this post-Brexit world the answer lies in a loss of nationalism. Recognise that we’re part of Europe - where all the coaching expertise comes from. Some humility wouldn’t go amiss. We’re shit, and have been for ages. We need to want to learn from the rest of the world. We currently don’t

We need to recognise that, at the moment, nobody, not Guardiola, Mourinho, Pocchettino or a reincarnated Brian Clough could turn England into world beaters.

That said, we could aim to be equal to the sum of our parts rather than much much less. Do any of the players look forward to playing for England do we think? It really doesn’t look like it. What’s needed in the short term is a man manager to get the players we have got enjoying their football. Sam could maybe do that, and is not such a tactical dinosaur as everyone makes him out to be - he was quite innovative when at Bolton

6 Likes

Good post, although Portugal and Greece have both won the Euros with relatively poor teams.