Learn English in 30 months or leave

oh gotcha. Fair enough. Gd point. Make 'em leave.

I dont really care if the speak the language or not. I am more concerned if they are likely to strap explosives to themselves or take a gun or a knife to us.

That’s my mrs out then SOG. :frowning:

4 Likes

Yeah its multi choice bear but you have to get 90% or you apear on UKBA on Dave for the next 10 years.

They are two different things or I see it that way, intergration and extremism, maybe there is a link or pathway between the two.

Like buy one get one free Barry?

Originally posted by @Tokyo-Saint

No not really.

Originally posted by @Tokyo-Saint

More like stuck between Borat or a Head case

I once did work expreience in a English school (English curriculum) in Italy. But that was Italian children attending to get a 2nd language under their belt.

Been to Cala Ratjada in Mallorca and that is mainly German tourist area. It did feel like the rest of Europe had carved up the island into specific areas - a few for the Brits and then a few for the Germans. Having flash backs of German techno on the beaches.

Anyway… I am not surrprised that the government have cut language classes. It’s another way of ensuring they will fail so we can deport them. I work with a family where mum’s 2nd language is English. She has never had any formal education in her life. I am trying to get her into a course so she can get some qualifications. She has been a UK tax payer for 20 years but would probably fail a written English test.

3 Likes

As someone said earlier, it reminds me of Norman Tebbit’s plan to ask questions about cricket. I bet plenty of us wouldnt get those right!!!

My wife would.

Did you pop into the beach club? Great place that a brilliant example of all people getting on and getting on it, loads of ex pats, Spanish, Islanders and Catalunians etc etc , if I recall drunken wheelbarrow races round the pool.
As a sidenote Sean Connery used to go there to get leathered and shag in the 70’s and 80’s.

Its not a poor example. It’s perfectly valid. The Spanish, regardless of your friends example, are not entirely happy with the lack of Spanish spoken by Brits but also are unhappy with the number of Brits who stand for political elections on an ex pat platform.

Sounds awful. The wheelbarrow bit and the Sean Connery bit.

I’d like to wheelbarrow Connery.

And they have a point but the money the Brits bring is beyond dispute and that’s what talks, Calvià is one of the wealthiest areas of Spain solely down to foreigners, the Islanders aren’t soft and they know the money is staying on the Island.
Tourism and people retiring there with their mortgages are hugely different but it is a discussion worth merit.

David Cameron is getting criticism for making the link to extremism.

[Cameron] was quickly criticised for singling out Muslim women as the main group that needed help. Andy Burnham, the shadow home secretary, said Cameron risked “doing more harm than good” in a desire to grab headlines.

“His clumsy and simplistic approach to challenging extremism is unfairly stigmatising a whole community. There is a real danger that it could end up driving further radicalisation, rather than tackling it,” he said.

Meanwhile, Tim Farron, the Liberal Democrat leader, said the announcement was “dog-whistle politics at its best”.

“Linking women in the Muslim community who struggle with the English language to homegrown extremism only serves to isolate the very people Cameron says he is trying to help,” he said. “Liberal Democrats support English language classes for anyone regardless of race, religion or gender and blocked these plans to cut funding for them in coalition.”

Cameron was also criticised by Sayeeda Warsi, the Tory peer and former party co-chairman, who said it was a good policy to encourage language skills to help people get a job, help with homework, manage finances, and get a driving licence, but questioned the link to counter-terrorism.

She said “evidence suggests gang culture, Islamophobia, [and] responses to foreign policy are greater drivers of radicalisation” than failure to learn English.

Its aimed at dowry, arranged marriages and many other backward practices I suspect but he cant say. Would you marry your cousin?

Ummm. Well some of my mum’s cousins did marry each other in East Anglia. Of their own choice, no dowry etc. We have just moved on a bit more than some others. But I am sure not so long ago marriage here was a business transaction where women were married off to ensure land stayed in families or came into families.

It probably still does but its taboo and laughed at as its backward and you run a far higher risk of genetic disorders. Darwin married his cousin, maybe he fancied his chances?