Lets Rock Southampton

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

How about actually getting a concert hall or stadium where bands can play? They all go to Bournemouth where people go to die or Brighton an hour down the road and don’t get me started on the nightlife and restaurants,

Nah, sorry but that’s bollocks. Between The Joiners, The Brook, The Talking Heads, Mo’ Club (now The Engine Rooms), The Cellar (now The Stage Door), Southampton Uni, The 1865 and (dare I say it) The Guildhall, there’s regularly too many gigs that I want to attend in Southampton. We’re talking a minimum of a couple per month here. Sometimes one a week.

By way of comparsion, in the past couple of years I’ve been to two gigs in Brighton, one in Bournemouth and a handful in Southsea.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

I have to generalise on that one as Bournemouth is a retirement village, it always has been, Torquay positivley reeks of urine and piss pads but Bournemouth merely softly smells of faeces and the passing on…

And you put this sort of thing in TripAdvisor, do you? If not, you should.

Update:

Other towns are taking this festival on too, so my objection about us being singled out as yokels largely goes away.

Here is Southampton’s line-up.

I don’t get the billing on that. One of the Thompson Twins is headlining and has the big letters whilst Alexander O’Neal is the marginally better than Jivebunny and Sam Fox, who are on a par with Hot Chocolate! Actually, didn’t Errol Brown die recently? Maybe a Hot Chocolate without Errol Brown is only as good as Sam Fox. In fact, Sam Fox should become the lead singer of Hot Chocolate.

2 Likes

Thompson twins? Weren’t they the bungling detectives in Tintin?

Originally posted by @Fatso

I don’t get the billing on that. One of the Thompson Twins is headlining and has the big letters whilst Alexander O’Neal is the marginally better than Jivebunny and Sam Fox, who are on a par with Hot Chocolate! Actually, didn’t Errol Brown die recently? Maybe a Hot Chocolate without Errol Brown is only as good as Sam Fox. In fact, Sam Fox should become the lead singer of Hot Chocolate.

Actually, I think it’s just Tom Bailey from The Thompson Twins, and yes, Errol Brown did pass away last month so I’m not sure how this is gonna work…unless he hasn’t been involved with Hot Chocolate for a while anyway?

Stupid Boy!

Hot Chocolate have had two lead singers since they started touring without Errol Brown in 1992. Sam Fox was not one of them.

Hot Chocolate without Errol shouldn’t be allowed to call themselves Hot Chocolate. Errol WAS Hot Chocolate. They should call themselves Warm Milk or Ovaltine.

1 Like

Originally posted by @jet-sounds

Actually, @I-think-it’s-just-Tom-Bailey-from-The-Thompson-Twins, and yes, Errol Brown did pass away last month so I’m not sure how this is gonna work…unless he hasn’t been involved with Hot Chocolate for a while anyway?

I know, that’s why I said “One of the Thompson Twins”. Also, Hot Chocolate haven’t toured with Errol since 1992.

On the one hand, looking at that line up, it looks like living hell.

On the other hand - stand your ground Jet Sounds and tell us all to fuck off!

Went to an 80s concert at the BIC a while back, Five Star were one of the acts, there was only 3 of them!!

Originally posted by @Fatso

Actually, @I-think-it’s-just-Tom-Bailey-from-The-Thompson-Twins, and yes, Errol Brown did pass away last month so I’m not sure how this is gonna work…unless he hasn’t been involved with Hot Chocolate for a while anyway?

I know, that’s why I said “One of the Thompson Twins”. Also, Hot Chocolate haven’t toured with Errol since 1992.

You Read Paps post then! :confused:

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

I wouldn’t call it ‘a living hell’ Lou, just less than attractive…but Heaven 17 and The Beat are playing, so there’s always an upside.

I’m old enough now to have a varied taste in music and don’t particularly give a fuck if anyone agrees with it or not. Some of the stuff I’d quite hapilly listen to now (Level 42, Chic, and yes, Jimmy Sommerville) I wouldn’t have done 20 years ago…but I’m older and I don’t restrict myself to any particular genre, I’ll listen to anything from Erik Satie, Abba, Judas Priest, Clannad and Up Balloon Up.

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

I wouldn’t call it ‘a living hell’ Lou, just less than attractive…but Heaven 17 and The Beat are playing, so there’s always an upside.

I’m old enough now to have a varied taste in music and don’t particularly give a fuck if anyone agrees with it or not. Some of the stuff I’d quite hapilly listen to now (Level 42, Chic, and yes, Jimmy Sommerville) I wouldn’t have done 20 years ago…but I’m older and I don’t restrict myself to any particular genre, I’ll listen to anything from Erik Satie, Abba, Judas Priest, Clannad and Up Balloon Up.

Does up balloon up tie in with your username on the other place?

I’m with you on the two you picked out of that list jet sounds. I used to love The (English) Beat and Heaven 17.

I’ve never been closer.I’ve tried to understand…

Originally posted by @saintbletch

I’m with you on the two you picked out of that list jet sounds. I used to love The (English) Beat and Heaven 17.

I’ve never been closer.I’ve tried to understand…

That certain feeling,

1 Like

So which one of those can be classed as rock?

None. My objections about it being labelled rock still stands. However, if we do appear on World’s Stupidest people as a consequence of our patronage of this festival, we’ll have the likes of London and Bristol as company. And let’s face it, they’ll probably use the London footage anyways :slight_smile:

I agree that ‘rock’ isn’t perhaps the best word to describe that line-up, but perhaps “Let’s Pop Southampton” would also be slightly ambiguous.

Overall, though, I find myself aligning with Jet Streams on this one: if I was in the area I would certainly head for the Common on the 11th for what I reckon would be a fun day out (in a slightly kitsch sort of way).

As an aside, I’m surprised and, frankly, a little disappointed that Bletch hasn’t applauded the use of an apostrophe in between Thompson Twins and Tom Bailey, whilst, at the same time, derided the absence of one in Lets Rock Southampton. :slight_frown: