Local and mayoral elections 2016

I thought Labour would do More Better, but it’s a bit heartwarming that a large proportion of the British ppl, just as they did in WWII, have rose up and stood shoulder to shoulder with the Persecuted Jews.

I am really concerned about the impact of the SNP in Scotland and the main opposition being the Tories.

I think what is going on in Scotland will keep Labour out of power for a long time to come… Unfortuatly!!

Yeah, there’s all kinds of stuff for me to take issue with there, Bear - so I’m not going to bother.

What is noteworthy is that Corbyn has done well in precisely the sort of places that people said he couldn’t win.

Labour has defied expectations to secure a number of councils in southern England, amid signs of declines in Conservative support in the region.

Key battleground councils including Southampton, Crawley, and Hastings were all held by Labour despite concerns that Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership may have disillusioned swing voters outside of the party’s traditional heartlands in the North of England and Wales.

Analysis by the BBC indicated the Conservative vote declined in the south of England, contributing to Labour’s stronger-than-expected performance.

Labour have got a job on in Scotland if they want to get it back. Unfortunately, politics up there is now dominated with the issue of independence and a lingering sense of betrayal after the result. The terms of The Vow aren’t being held up, and Labour shared a platform with the Tories in the Better Together campaign.

That all said, Scotland is not crucial for winning a GE.

There is some very damming stuff from within the party, which is very worring. There are so many spins on the results from within the party within politics and on here. Personally I think it should and could have been better.

The Tories are at their pretty much lowest and right winged as they have ever been, but will be smiling more than labour this morning.

A senior Labour MP has told the BBC that Jeremy Corbyn has a year to improve his performance, warning that a “weak leader” was a problem on the doorstep and describing the party’s performance as “shocking”.

The MP said:

Clearly a weak leader who people do not feel will keep them safe in an uncertain world has been the main issue on the doorstep. Corbyn and co. campaigned on the basis winning elections doesn’t matter - they have been forced to accept it does and there is only so long you can get away with losing… He has until this time next year to prove he won’t hand 2020 to the Tories on a plate, which currently seems the case from these results."

It is if your a Labour voter not a cats chance in hell of labour being elected without taking back Scotland first.

1 Like

But it would be very beneficial for Labour to be the main opposition! I think the voters are turning against labour because of the comments at the last GE that Labour would never do a deal with the SNP.

I think the loss of Scotland is massive and will have a huge impact on the GE 2020

1 Like

Originally posted by @pap

Yeah, there’s all kinds of stuff for me to take issue with there, Bear - so I’m not going to bother.

ffs it’s getting v.difficult to troll on here srs

3 Likes

Comedy you need to revert to comedy then we will all love you :lou_is_a_flirt:

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

I am really concerned about the impact of the SNP in Scotland and the main opposition being the Tories.

I think what is going on in Scotland will keep Labour out of power for a long time to come… Unfortuatly!!

Labour have got a job on in Scotland if they want to get it back. Unfortunately, politics up there is now dominated with the issue of independence and a lingering sense of betrayal after the result. The terms of The Vow aren’t being held up, and Labour shared a platform with the Tories in the Better Together campaign.

That all said, Scotland is not crucial for winning a GE.

But it would be very beneficial for Labour to be the main opposition! I think the voters are turning against labour because of the comments at the last GE that Labour would never do a deal with the SNP.

I think the loss of Scotland is massive and will have a huge impact on the GE 2020

Originally posted by @PhilippineSaint

It is if your a Labour voter not a cats chance in hell of labour being elected without taking back Scotland first.

Please. You’re talking 59 seats, total.

I always thought the phrase Scottish Conservative was an insult, or a euphemism for something that doesn’t belong somewhere.

You live and learn.

1 Like

Originally posted by @saintbletch

I always thought the phrase Scottish Conservative was am insult, or a euphemism for something that doesn’t belong somewhere.

You live and learn.

I’ve just seen a tweet along the lines of “It’s as if England & Wales don’t exist”.

Yes, yes, media.

Focus on those 59 seats, the 5.2 million population and pretend that it’s the only thing that matters!

Those 59 seats are crucial how many times would labour have been elected without the Scottish vote?

The last three elections they won.

Even after Iraq, Blair managed to get a 66 seat majority, more than the 59 seats in Scotland. The majority was way over 150 in the 2001 and 1997 elections.

Where are you getting this idea that Labour needs Scotland to win?

Maybe it’s an inbuilt thing that you need the Welsh and Scot’s to defeat the Tory’s. Coming from the New Forest East constituency never knowingly voted for a person that has been elected I am sceptical on how anybody actually gets in.

It’s a raw numbers game which centres on those 150 marginals.

My alternate suggestion is that the media has been banging on about nothing but Scotland this morning, perhaps inflating its importance in the overall scheme of things.

The real news is that Corbyn isn’t a turnoff for those important marginals.

The whole point is what you just stated it is a party contest not a presidential contest. the general electorate need to take a step back and look at the party politics not the pretty boy (or not so) leader of said party.

6 Likes

My alternate suggestion is that the media has been banging on about nothing but Scotland this morning, perhaps inflating its importance in the overall scheme of things.

But against a Tory government that are in utter turmoil. If they get back on track the voters will stick with them. I just cannot see things changing that much between now and 2020, as mentioned I do not think the Tories can get much lower in my option, but yet they are still smiling more this morning!

But against a Tory government that are in utter turmoil. If they get back on track the voters will stick with them. I just cannot see things changing that much between now and 2020, as mentioned I do not think the Tories can get much lower in my option, but yet they are still smiling more this morning!

When has this government ever been “on track”?

Maybe you don’t see things changing, but last night’s elections have already shown that they have. The Conservatives are losing votes in the South of England. If that trend continues then the GE is completely up for grabs.

I’ve looked at their upcoming policy platform and if implemented, it’s only going to lose them more votes. What popular policies do they actually have?

We are going to enter a period of increased industrial action from all sections of the community. Right now, it is junior doctors. Expect that to extend to teaching and students once elements of the forced academy plan start to materialise. We have got an EU referendum coming up, with all the fallout from that.

You’re saying that you can’t see anything changing. I’m saying that we’re living in a world of political flux, and I often say that I picked a particularly interesting time to get banned off SaintsWeb. Everything is changing.

We’ve had an interesting political year which has been full of change and another which is likely to affect the political landscape even more.

What the fuck happens to UKIP after the referendum? Where do those votes go?

The only certainty is that the Tories will try to cut more, and Labour will be the ones to oppose it. My hope is that a lot of these Labour MPs causing trouble get sent packing too. Can’t fight a GE if they’re actively trying to fuck it up.

1 Like