Mark Hughes confirmed as First Team Manager

At last somebody put the ball in the net :lou_facepalm_2:

Yeah, between 25 and 32 seconds in you can almost see his body language saying “What the fuck have I done??” as he dejectedly kicks the ball into the back of the goal.

No one around to see him wheel off in celebration…

1 Like

Well I’ve just watched some of his Wigan presser and the boy talks sense. Wether it’s a front or not is another thing entirely…

Mark Hughes says there is an argument to suggest the Southampton players will have a fresh start under him, but performances will dictate places in the team.

"Perhaps players when they see a change, any disappointment they felt from the previous regime, maybe that lighted a bit I’m sure. I’ve been through the process where players react in a certain way to a new manager coming in.

"I can only go on what I’ve seen from afar as an opposition manager, so I know a good deal about these players.

“If you perform well, you keep the shirt, but the level is high, we’re playing in one of the toughest leagues in the world.”

4 Likes

Much of the opinion of the job Mark Hughes does at Southampton will depend on whether or not he keeps Southampton in the Premiere League. However he insists that does not mean his side are taking their eye off the FA Cup this weekend.

"The FA Cup has been very good to me and has always figured highly in my career. I have a great affinity with the competition.

“I think we are taking over 4000 to Wigan, and we need to give them something to cheer for, something to get behind.”

3 Likes

Mark Hughes says he will demand a certain level of application from his players, and suggests that he will make changes from the previous regime.

"I work in a certain way and I train at certain levels of intensity which I’m looking for from the players and I’ve seen that in the past few days.

“Feedback from people in and around the club is that maybe the intensity wasn’t that way before, but that’s the way I work and hopefully that can hold us in good stead.”

5 Likes

So were the club hoping that pellegrino was going to at some point install some intensity? :roll_eyes:

Impressive first presser for sure

He will do.

For now.

We’ve had positive words for 2 seasons near as dammit.

Let’ see something on the pitch for a change

2 Likes

I’m sold.

The atmosphere around the club and amongst fans seems to have instantly changed for the better.

Does that mean Hughes is some sort of inspirational appointment? No. Does it mean, he isn’t the Argentine Branfoot? Yes.

We were very much in the beggers can’t be choosers category, options were severly limited. Almost exclusively to those currently unemployed and we came out of it with someone with bags of experience and a pretty decent Premier League record.

Lest we forget, after sacking Hughes, Stoke ended up with Paul Lambert. A fate worse than death. The pool of available managers was not over flowing with quality.

Why would an manager in work take the risk? 8 games, most of which are difficult to keep us up. Better to wait and see if they are still interested at the end of the season…

7 Likes

The above post got me all wordy so I’ve expanded here:-

http://georgeweahscousin.com/22845-2/

5 Likes

Anyone got a link to Hughes’ press conference?

Oh shit…

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11295100/mark-hughes-says-nathan-redmond-key-to-southampton-relegation-fight

2 Likes

Well, if he can get him back on form like he did Saido Berahino then why not…

TBH, when I read the Sky “article”, you could have inserted any of our attacking players in there and the sentiment would have been the same.

Someone needs to be the “Give the ball to him” player, all Redmond needs to master is a one-two and shoot not just a cut in and shoot :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

Worth a read for this alone…

“… once you get a semi anything can happen”

Lol.

3 Likes

With his 1st team selection he has managed to dispel half the rumours of meddling Les

Now for Gabbi to deliver & maybe give Carrillo some service

1 Like

His first half time talk seems to have worked…

1 Like

I am slightly less despondent

4 Likes