Neymar Deal - Obscene, immoral and all that is wrong with football?

The NHS is underfunded.

These two things are both true, but how are they connected.

How would one go about curbing the obscene figures in football? And how exactly would that benefit the NHS?

I hardly see the likes of SKY, BT or Oil Barons suddenly chucking loads of £££ at our public services just because they can’t spend it on football anymore?

2 Likes

Again, schools being so underfunded that they need to sell their land is a far bigger and pressing concern than what fees/wages football clubs pay.

I don’t really see the two as being related. And quite frankly, I do not want any further examples of the private sector having anything to do with Education (or Healthcare, for that matter).

2 Likes

Dont know how to do the multi - quite thing… so you will ahve to makedo with replies below in sequence…

1. The Live Aid thing was to put the AMOUNT in context , nothing more…I don’t mention Government spending anywhere… merely mention ‘Othe challenging issues’ so please at the very least recognise this…

2. …as mentioned a few times already, because its topical, its just happened and its more than twice the previous obscene amount and the wages on anoteher scale altogether, are we supposed to ignore this if debating money in football? Yes its a trigger, but most debate /discussion usually starts with one…

3. Yes, I did, but that was another issue, one of it being impossible to build anything anymore… the two are related, but not the same… I was fucked off last year and now about how its no longer posisble to build a side anymore… that is different to the question on this thread which is about the morallity of these transfer and wages… related to money, but differnt questions so what is your point?

4. That is the purpose of this thread… but with the moral slant/perspective … agian not sure what your point is, if you simply feel teh thread is not valid or bene done before say so… but I disagree, its very valid because this obscene transfer has just happened…

5. You suggested that this was normal as football was a business and always has been. I am suggesting that just because its a business does not mean we cant genuinely feel uncomfortable with the the moral issues as a result of this obscene level of spending and earning…

Bloody hell KRG is on fire.

On the whole I’ve been feeling the same way really.

You’ve got the likes of Man United spending £90Mn on players whilst in hundreds of millions of pounds worth of debt that they reckon they can service on the back of shirt sales all thanks to far Eastern sweatshops.

You’ve got refs consistently putting in totally biased performances which have screwed over the smaller clubs.

You’ve got the Spanish goverment propping up its two big guns with taxpayer money.

You’ve got clubs like Liverpool tapping up the players of smaller clubs and getting away with it with scouse retards chortling their way across the internet saying its OK because they’re a big club.

You’ve got City and Chelsea long being backed by squillionaires from dodgy Middle-Eastern regimes and Russian criminal syndicates and doing very well out of it thank you very much.

You’ve had clubs like Orient be absolutely done over by dodgy owners with the FA giving less than two shits as they’re never realistically going to be knocking on the door of the Premier League.

And you’ve had the likes of Barca, Madrid and Bayern consistently favoured by refs in the Champions League to add to their beloved spectacle.

But yeah, this is the transfer that’s done it. This is the straw that broke the camels back. This is the trench in which our otherwise noble sport finally dies.

Its literally just the extension of what’s gone before.

2 Likes

Well this is the issue - it fundamentally just comes down to market demand and people’s free choice.

All the factors you’ve listed are true - how would you ask any sort of government or World governing body to somehow intercept or disrupt them?

Coincidentally Debbie Hill was round mine the next day demanding sex.

She told me that after your glass of woodpecker cider (with a sneaky sherry chaser) the closest she got to exchanging bodily fluids was when she was wiping your vomit off her shoes :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

Indeed, But thank fuck I was to far gone by the time Phil Collins started his set to have to listen to it…

1 Like

Whilst I agree with on the DUP issue Goaty, I was hoping not to get into the debate of ‘relative’ levels if moral shit… Of course there are far more pressing issues and morally contemptable transactiosn out there, but that wasnot the point of this thread - which was about the transfer /wages and what this one in particular represents… its easy to dismiss this as ‘just part of the modern game’ but that does not answer teh moral question and whether its enough to make us disillusion with it all…

Hmmm… so how does this work? Neymar had to pay the 2oo millions himself by the sounds of this report… or at least his ‘legal representatives’ did…

Knew I’d heard the thread title before somewhere :lou_wink_2:

Obscene, dirty, filthy, immoral… Ah yeah…

You invited a moral comparison when starting the thread. There are implicit moral comparisons all over the shop, such as what nurses earn or how many lives the Live Aid money saved.

I think it’s both a bit late to bar them, and pretty much impossible to debate morality with relative comparisons.

Premier League clubs can’t even pay the living fucking wage, I detest modern football.

hey? what are you on about? I made no ‘comparisons’ as I have said, I used an anecdote of Live Aid to place the AMOUNT in _ context _… I am sure someone of your intelligence can differnetiate between context and comparison, or is it too subtle for ya?.. others have offered comparisons which have inevitaby led this thread in other directions… I have not ‘barred’ anything, its a fricken web forum, so how am i meant to do that? I have just looked to avoid these comparisons because it prevents teh debate focussing on Football …

Pap, why do you consistently look to try and pick holes, not in an argument or debate, but in the way something is phrased, or misinterpret it deliberately when its goes against your own POV…or indeed if you simply have a ‘history’ of disagreeing on other things. Its become a bit of a rather lame joke…trouble is its on me for taking so long to work it out…

Instead of offering a POV on the the question of how fans can still reconcile being in love with the game when there is this magnitude of transfer/wages, you just take a side with those you have yet to fall out with over an issue and then ,make a comment on my style or try and twist what has been said…

Is this what you want from this place, petty point scoring and dismissing folks POV without bothering to even address theme of the thread?

I really believed that one was meant to enjoy being an active member of a forum, and I do enjoy sparring passionately with those I disagree with on many an issue and on many an occasion, but I really cant be arsed when you decide to play your ‘lets twist this to my advantage’ nonsense… you arally are a bit transparent, that once you have crossed swords with someone, you seem to never let it go, but look for every opportunity to try and have a dig… odd.

I’m simply pointing out an inconsistency in your approach. We can compare sums paid out for Live Aid to what PSG have paid out for Neymar, but we’re not allowed to put it in the context of the DUP deal.

You’re asking if Neymar’s transfer is immoral, drawing financial comparisons with Live Aid for context, yet effectively saying the DUP deal is inadmissable as evidence. I think it is a perfectly valid talking point, particularly as Neymar is only going to play football, whereas May and the DUP are going to get to play with our lives.

On the scale of bad purchases, the DUP deal is a much worse buy than Neymar. It’s something that should provoke a bigger reaction. I don’t want to speak for @goatboy , but I think he’s suggesting that there are larger things to get animated about. If that was his intent, then I would agree.

I don’t think that pointing that out should have provoked the response it did, @areloa-grandee . I’m disagreeing with you, that’s all.

1 Like

The DUP deal is a joke that’s no given moral authority by people who didn’t know it was a joke in the first place.

Maybe you just dont get it… there is always that I suppose. So let me spell this out a little… my LIVE AID anecdote was to put in ‘context’ the AMOUNTS not the morality, but whatever… You are allowed to do what the fuck you want, but as I mentioned in my repsonse to the Goaty, (which you may have read but did not understand) that whilst I fully AGREE that there are many MORE important issues than football transfers… that is not the question raised by this thread, which is why I wanted to avoid going off in directions covering all the MORE IMPORTANT and pressing issues… Jeez this really is simple… if you want to politicise every thread, then it will become a bit boring and stale… and also dilute the value of threads in which much more serious issues ae discussed…

… It also means that the morality of the obscene amounts of money in football are never debated… because fans provide the convenient excuse for football by simply suggesting that there are more important things to worry about… whatever if noone is interested then let the thread die rather than just making shit up… This thread is titled ''Neymar-deal-obscene-immoral-and-all-that-is- wrong-with-football?.. its NOT titled ''Neymr deal -obscene-immoral-and-all-that-is- wrong with the world…’'

1 Like

I’ll leave you to your business on this thread, @areloa-grandee .

I genuinely can’t be arsed, and I can’t take THE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.

I shall seek more important issues with more reasonable voices.

Good… because I genuinely cant be arsed, and I cant take your PATRONISING TONE… simply because you just dont comprehend or just dont wish to… We dissagreed on Brexit, about JS … since then you just dont seem to be able to resist ‘passing judgement’ on everything, yet without first comprehending what is actually being presented… 'fools rush in… ’

Oh a football thread I can comment on

Obscene - yes.

Immoral - absolutely.

All that is wrong with football - no there’s plenty of other things ( I was just reading about some Arsenal bigwig with his hunting channel).

I am looking forward to the boycott of matchesnand sky TV . Let me know how it goes. :smile:

2 Likes

Where does this money come from? 200 million, reports that Neymar will be paid 2 million quid a week. Apparently Neymar’s father was paid 25 million by Barcelona last year just for persuading him to stay there for one more season. Of course it is obscene. Does anyone seriously believe that this is honest money? It is money laundering, facilitated by sharp accountants avoiding taxes, see Messi, Ronaldo etc. Where does this money originate, the idea that 200 million quid plus 2 million a week wages for one footballer comes from a legitimate business source is laughable. There are billions sloshing around from the drugs trade, people trafficking, illegal arms trading etc. It has to be laundered somewhere. It is patently obvious to anyone who is not terminally naive that modern day football, at the top end where crazy sums like 200 million for one playerand even more ridiculous wages, have sold their soul to the dark side.

As for the likes of us, The Saints, West Brom, Stoke et al, the harsh reality is there is nothing down for us. We just cannot compete. Now that the benchmark has been set with the fee for Neymar i have no doubt that the owners of the likes of Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, the so called ‘big clubs’, will be re appraising their investments. There were enough eyebrows raised last year about the 90 mill that Man U paid last year for that useless lump of shite Pogba, 200 million takes it into a different ballpark. This madness surely cannot be sustainable, it has to end in tears.

And don’t get me started on Live Aid. Bob Geldoff, the lead singer of a moderately successful New Wave band who sold a few singles but can’t have made much money at it as the rest of the Rats were back in their day jobs while Saint Bobster, within a year of Live Aid was buying television production companies, mansions in Chelsea, priories in Kent, and shmoozing with Dubya, Blair, the Pope and minor members of the Royal Family. Hmm.

2 Likes