OptiNews - Friday 15 to Thursday 21 September 2017

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

Get a team news update from the boss ahead of #SaintsFC’s game against #MUFC: http://sfcne.ws/TNPreMUFCH

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 4

...unsolicitously begot by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Steve Davis insists it’s great having Van Dijk back playing at Southampton

Show/hide article…

Steven Davis insists Virgil van Dijk is committed to Southampton – but admits he is still in the dark over whether he will have to hand back the captaincy to the Dutchman.

Van Dijk is in line to make his first start since his failed attempts to force through a move to Liverpool when Saints take on Manchester United on Saturday.

Davis said: “He is one of the best centre halves in the Premier League and it is a huge boost for us we have managed to keep hold of him.

“It has been a smooth transition and it’s great now he is back among the boys, training regularly and determined to fight for a place.”

Davis has been skippering the side in Van Dij’s absence and boss Mauricio Pellegrino has claimed the players will decide who gets the armband.

Northern Ireland midfielder Davis said: “I have not had a conversation with Virgil about the captaincy. I am just doing my job.

“It has not crossed my mind. That is a decision for the manager to make.”

Davis also says Saints are not making any special plans to stop in-form United striker Romelu Lukaku.

He added: “They have got such an attacking threat in the final third. There’s not one player you can simply focus on. They have got threats throughout their squad.

“It is going to be a hugely difficult game for us but we believe we have the quality to beat any team in the league.

“We need to show it now. Obviously they are playing with a lot of confidence and they are playing as if they all know their roles within the side.

“It is going to be a hugely tough game. We are not underestimating them but we have also believe we can cause them problems.”

Go to the original article…

...connivingly invented by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Expected Manchester United XI: Jose Mourinho to go 4-3-3 away to Southampton

Show/hide article…

MANCHESTER UNITED take on Southampton at St Mary’s on Saturday, but who will play?

The Red Devils are enjoying a fantastic run of form, having beaten Basel 3-0, Everton 4-0 and Burton 4-1 in their last three matches.

However, last time they played away from Old Trafford they were held to a 2-2 draw by Stoke, and Southampton have only lost one league game so far this season.

Jose Mourinho has preferred a 4-2-3-1 formation in most matches this campaign, but he reverts to 4-3-3 for fixtures where he doesn’t expect to dominate the ball as much, and we think that could well be the case here.

CLICK THROUGH THE GALLERY ABOVE TO SEE HOW WE EXPECT UNITED TO LINE UP.

...elaborately given life to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by BenDinnery tweet

@BenDinnery - Ben Dinnery

Charlie Austin has returned to full training and comes into contention for the visit of Man United. #SaintsFC

Retweets: 5

Favourites: 3

...maddeningly fabricated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 21/09/2017 15:05:09

| | FANTASYLEAGUE |

...confidently begot by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

That @mattletiss7 chip! :ok_hand:

It was an epic encounter in 1996, as #SaintsFC ran out 6-3 winners against this weekend’… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/910884067641524224

Retweets: 5

Favourites: 10

...airily moulded by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Press conference (Part One): Pellegrino on United clash

Show/hide article…

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

...hastily originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

The Ugly Inside News for Southampton

New content from (- The Ugly Inside News for Southampton)

| Pellegrino Says Van Dijk Could Start Against United | Mauricio Pellegrino has confirmed that Virgil Van Dijk is in line for his first start in a Saints shirt in nearly 8 … 21-09-2017 |

Older content…

| The Ugly Inside TV ! Saints V Manchester United Preview16 hours ago |
| Southampton ! Southampton ! A Song For The City2 days ago |
| Ticket Information Released For Brighton Away Game2 days ago |
| Van Dijk Pledges To Give His All For Saints !2 days ago |
| Ex Saints Managers Are In Demand2 days ago |
| Should Virgil Van Dijk Start Against Manchester United2 days ago |
| Van Dijk Scores As Saints U23’s Beat Stoke City3 days ago |
| Lemina And Hoedt Praised By Pellegrino3 days ago |
| Time To End 14 Years Of Home Woes Against United !3 days ago |
| Why Is Nathan Redmond The Whipping Boy ?4 days ago |

...softheartedly brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 21/09/2017 16:05:23

| | Yeovil to give Olufela Olomola a late fitness test ahead of Port Vale clashCLUBCALL |

...crassly devised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

LISTEN: Download the Stat Attack podcast

Show/hide article…

Max Rushden’s Premier League predictions against the Computer Algorithm… who wins? Listen to the Stat Attack podcast to find out!

Max and head of Sky Data Harry Carr will be bringing you stacks of stats and heaps of facts each week, as well as making their predictions for the upcoming Premier League fixtures.

The guys will also be joined each week by a special guest, delivering in-depth analysis on a key talking point each week.

Click here to listen to the Sky Sports Stat Attack podcast

This week, Max and Harry look ahead to a big London derby - and we’ve got loads of stats about local rivalries!

Can all these stats help the boys with their weekly Premier League predictions? Check out the video above for Harry’s killer stats of the week - and then download the podcast to find out…

You can get involved, too, by tweeting @MaxRushden and @harrydcarr the questions you need to know the answers to.

Click here to download the Sky Sports Stat Attack podcast from iTunes.

...motherly generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Jose Mourinho opens up on competition for places in Manchester United midfield

Show/hide article…

Jose Mourinho has hailed the competition for places in the Manchester United midfield as the Red Devils prepare to take on Southampton.

United breezed into the fourth round of the Carabao Cup on Wednesday night with a 4-1 victory over Burton Albion.

It continued United’s excellent start to the season with Mourinho ringing the changes for the Old Trafford encounter.

Michael Carrick and Ander Herrera were given some much needed game time against Burton with Nemanja Matic and Marouane Fellaini impressing in the win over Everton.

United’s players were back in training on Carrington on Thursday as the rain lashed down in Manchester.

And Mourinho admits the competition for places is stronger than ever before.

“Matic and Fellaini are in the best form that I have ever seen them,” he said.

"I never saw Matic playing so well. I never saw Fellaini playing so well.

"Carrick is in a team with these two guys, playing absolutely phenomenal.

"For Carrick and for Ander, it’s just patience because their time will arrive.

"They are going to be important players for us, for sure.

United take on Southampton at St Mary’s on Saturday afternoon.

...concentratedly fashioned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Premier League table at matchday five strikingly similar to end-of-season positions

Show/hide article…

They say you should not look at the league table this early in the season - but a Sky Sports study has revealed a third of Premier League teams do not finish more than one place above or below their position after matchday five.

While the campaign is barely a month old, early season form is clearly indicative of what is to come for many teams.

Over the last 10 years, 23 teams have finished the season in exactly the same position as the one they took up after five games, while 44 teams moved up or dropped down just one spot. That works out as 33.5 per cent of clubs hardly improving or falling away.

Last season, this trend was even more evident than usual with eight teams - 40 per cent of Premier League clubs - shifting no more than one place from their matchday five ranking.

Burnley, Swansea and West Brom ended the season in exactly the same position as they found themselves after five games in 2016/17. Manchester United and Tottenham both moved up one place, while Arsenal, Leicester and Sunderland each slipped a spot.

That’s good news for early high-flyers Newcastle, Huddersfield and Burnley then, who can all take encouragement from the importance of their fast starts.

Of course, there is still time for plenty of movement from other sides. Last season’s champions Chelsea, for instance, rose four places to take the title, while Hull and Middlesbrough slipped six places to suffer relegation.

Over the last decade, Arsenal experienced the most spectacular rise - languishing in 17th place during September 2011 but climbing 14 places to end the season in third.

Additionally, Tottenham were bottom of the league after five games in 2008 but rose 12 places by May, a jump matched by Everton in 2010/11 and Liverpool in 2012/13.

In contrast, Aston Villa suffered the biggest plummet, crashing 14 places from third spot to 17th in 2014/15, followed by a 12-position crash by Norwich in 2015/16.

Bournemouth have the highest average rise over their two top-flight seasons, climbing four places on average.

However, Liverpool have improved from their matchday five spot in the Premier League more than any other club on average over the past 10 years, rising 34 places in total.

Tottenham have risen 29 places, followed by Manchester United (24), Stoke (21), Everton (12) and Arsenal (10).

Conversely, Aston Villa plummeted 30 places over the last decade from matchday five, ultimately ending a 28-year run in the top flight after suffering relegation to the Championship in 2016.

Hull (-28) and Middlesbrough (-13), who were relegated last term, have suffered declines in form after early fast starts, while West Ham have also slipped 12 places during the period - but Blackpool have the worst average, crashing from ninth to 19th during their single top-flight campaign during the period in 2010/11.

Early Premier League leaders Manchester City are the most static club currently playing in the league, only moving -0.2 places per season on average.

However, while Pep Guardiola’s men are currently top of this season’s standings, he has reason to be concerned: the chasing pack of Liverpool (3.4), Tottenham (2.9) and Manchester United (2.4) all typically make significant gains on average per season.

...theoretically pieced together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

The Ugly Inside News for Southampton

New content from (- The Ugly Inside News for Southampton)

| The Ugly Inside TV ! Opposition View With United Peoples TV | Manchester United fan channel United Peoples TV give us their view of the fixture at St Mary’s when the Saints take … 21-09-2017 |

Older content…

| Pellegrino Says Van Dijk Could Start Against United17 hours ago |
| The Ugly Inside TV ! Saints V Manchester United Preview17 hours ago |
| Southampton ! Southampton ! A Song For The City2 days ago |
| Ticket Information Released For Brighton Away Game2 days ago |
| Van Dijk Pledges To Give His All For Saints !2 days ago |
| Ex Saints Managers Are In Demand2 days ago |
| Should Virgil Van Dijk Start Against Manchester United2 days ago |
| Van Dijk Scores As Saints U23’s Beat Stoke City3 days ago |
| Lemina And Hoedt Praised By Pellegrino3 days ago |
| Time To End 14 Years Of Home Woes Against United !3 days ago |

...maidenly put together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 21/09/2017 17:05:38

| | The Saints Walking Wounded Injury News 21/09/2017VITALFOOTBALL |

...effetely sculpted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham, Liverpool keen on Caen youngster | Southampton have a stellar reputation for developing young talent, and it looks as though they are scouting France … 21-09-2017 |
| Southampton team news: Manchester United (H) | Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino has delivered an update on his squad’s condition ahead of the visit of … 21-09-2017 |
| Southampton vs Manchester United: Four key Saints | Southampton will face a difficult task this weekend, as Manchester United visit St Mary’s. Mauricio Pellegrino’s … 21-09-2017 |

Older content…

| Time for Van Dijk to really show his class2 days ago |
| Steven Davis warns Man United that Saints are looking to claim another big scalp2 days ago |
| The early signs are positive from Hoedt and Lemina2 days ago |
| Saints striker reveals frustration at lack of chances2 days ago |
| How influential could Mario Lemina be for Saints?2 days ago |
| Assessing Mauricio Pellegrino’s tactics at Crystal Palace3 days ago |
| Saints star relishing competition at the back4 days ago |

...affirmatively instituted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Mauricio in a Minute! :stopwatch:

Catch up on the key points from the #SaintsFC boss’ pre-#MUFC press conference earlier tod… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/910915146163335171

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 5

...civilly brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Van Dijk in contention for United

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino says he will decide tomorrow whether Virgil van Dijk is ready to start his first game since January.

The Dutch defender was a late sub at Crystal Palace last weekend and put in another appearance for the under-23s on Monday having been out since the start of the year through a combination of injury and his transfer request.

It would be a big call to throw van Dijk back in to mark Romelu Lukaku as Manchester United visit St Mary’s on Saturday, and though Pellegrino hinted at caution he admitted he hadn’t completely made up his mind yet.

He said: “We will decide tomorrow, but every single week Virgil is important because he is getting better.

“After a long period of time without playing a game now he is training well, and it’s good news for us because we need Virgil like every single player in our squad.

“Virgil is an important player for us.

“I think every single week he will improve, but at the same time he needs to play, he needs to train.

“The best training session for me is to play games. Now he is playing in the reserves and 15 minutes is something and he is training well.”

Matt Targett is the only injury doubt for the United game after picking up a minor ankle knock.

...sinuously thought-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Paul Merson’s predictions: West Ham v Tottenham, Arsenal v West Brom and more

Show/hide article…

Who will come out on top in the Premier League this weekend? Paul Merson is back with his predictions…

Merse got one perfect score last weekend - he successfully tipped Bournemouth to beat Brighton 2-1 - but just three correct results as teams including Tottenham and Liverpool slipped up at home.

Who is the Magic Man tipping to win this weekend? Read on to find out…

West Ham have turned a corner after good performances against Huddersfield and West Brom but I can’t look past Tottenham here.

They have been very good away from home - what they did at Everton was brilliant - and I can see them scoring three again.

The Hammers were good against Huddersfield and solid at The Hawthorns but Tottenham are a cut above both. Spurs need to sort out their Wembley problem because it will ruin their Premier League chances if they aren’t careful.

I know it’s only five games but Newcastle have done superbly to get into the top four - not many people saw that coming!

Their fans will be full of confidence and looking for another win but Brighton make it difficult for opponents at the Amex. Man City were made to work hard and West Brom were dispatched 3-1.

A draw would be a good result for the visitors, they should take that all day long.

When West Brom visit you expect it to be a hard, tight game. The Baggies will look to frustrate Arsenal and pick off set-plays where they can.

The Gunners did very well at Chelsea, they should be proud of the way they played and the way they worked hard for each other.

Hopefully that’s a base for them to work from and it’s important they keep that momentum going into this game. I can’t look past a home win.

I was pleased Everton put in a strong display to beat Sunderland in the Carabao Cup - for me they should be aiming for cup success this season.

That result should give them a little bit of a boost after the Spurs and Manchester United drubbings and I think they beat Bournemouth.

This fixture is the second of four consecutive home games and they need to get on a roll in front of their fans to shake off this poor start to the season.

Bournemouth have won two on the spin - against Brighton in league and Carabao Cup - so they may fancy their chances. I even heard one of their players mention Europe. I’m sorry, no.

Southampton produced a big performance at Crystal Palace. They are a funny team, winning that came quite easily after flopping at home to Watford.

Their problem is obviously the lack of goals and that will be an issue against a quality team like Manchester United.

I’ve not completely bought into the United hype just yet - people are raving about them but I thought Everton were bang unlucky for 20 minutes at the start of the second half at Old Trafford.

In the end United produced a flurry of late goals, like they did against Swansea, and the score looked much better than the game suggested.

This is a big test for United but I think they pass it.

Chelsea were poor against Arsenal - bar the Pedro chance they didn’t create much - and it just highlighted how much they miss a fully-fit Eden Hazard.

This is a match they have to win because they cannot give the two Manchester teams any more of a head-start. If they lose at Stoke and City win, that’s a six-point gap in September.

I have been disappointed in Stoke this season, the Newcastle game was a bad result. But what really gets me is they lost 2-0 to Bristol City in the Carabao Cup. That’s a joke.

Stoke aren’t going to challenge for the league and they aren’t getting relegated. It’s another mid-table season. So why not go for it in the cup? It was a shocker.

It should be a really good game. Whichever team wins this match is set-up perfectly for the rest of the campaign.

I like the way Huddersfield play. I watched their game against Leicester and for the first half the Foxes didn’t know what day it was. The Terriers squeezed and hurried - they tired slightly after the break - but it was very impressive.

The only knock is they didn’t turn up at West Ham and I think they could be a little Jekyll and Hyde away from home.

Burnley have that little bit more Premier League experience and they are very strong at Turf Moor.

This is Roy Hodgson’s sort of match. I was worried about the Southampton fixture when he arrived because he’s not very good at setting up teams to win. He’s not the type of manager to chase a result.

He’s more tactical in terms of trying to stop his opposition playing. That’s where he is more comfortable, so these three games - against City, Man Utd and Chelsea - are probably more suited.

Having said that, City are playing in a different league at the moment. Look what they did to a Watford team that seems pretty good this year.

Pep Guardiola’s side look irresistible and even if they goal 1-0 down, they just bring on the big guns and go for it.

That 6-0 defeat at home to City will really knock Watford’s confidence. They had been doing alright and were probably thinking, ‘we’re a good team’. Then all of a sudden they were ripped apart and that will hurt.

Swansea got a great result at Wembley but they need to win this game. It’s the sort of match they will have highlighted before the season as winnable.

The problem is Watford have been good away from home, they have wins at Bournemouth and Southampton already, and they should get a point at the Liberty.

If Liverpool put their chances away, they win this match and they will need three points because the Manchester clubs are getting away from them already.

They were unlucky at the King Power in the Carabao Cup - they dominated the first half - and I think they bounce back with a victory on their return.

I can’t say they’ll keep a clean sheet - their defence is nowhere near good enough - but if they score two that should do the trick.

...mathematically brought to pass by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Having made his #SaintsFC debut in our last home game, @wesleyhoedt is now the cover star for the visit of #MUFC th… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/910926861080891392

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 12

...manipulatively brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 21/09/2017 18:05:50

| | Pellegrino Confirms Van Dijk Is In ContentionVITALFOOTBALL |
|

| Is Virgil van Dijk in line to start for Southampton against Manchester United?SBNATIONSTMARYSMUSINGS |
| | Ciderspace News Page : Olomola Fully Fit With Whole Squad On The Training GroundCIDERSPACE |
| | Preview: Southampton vs. Manchester UnitedSPORTSMOLE |
| | Pics: Man United train ahead of Southampton clash - Official Manchester United WebsiteOFFMANUTD |
| | Key fitness boost for Olomola ahead of Port Vale visitSOMERSETLIVE |
| | Southampton boss to make late call on controversial starFOOTBALLFANCAST |

...tearingly generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!