OptiNews - Friday 20 to Thursday 26 January 2017

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:speaking_head: “We have to make sure that we stand up to the fight.” #saintsfc http://sfcne.ws/JWPLCFCH

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 3

...tenuously given birth to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 20/01/2017 15:26:33

| | More Reliable Than An Octopus 2016/17? (20/1/17)VITALFOOTBALL |
| | Southampton transfer means West Ham move for defender appears more and more unlikelySPORTWITNESS |
| | Puel Previews Leicester ClashVITALFOOTBALL |
| | ALLNIGERIASOCCER |
| | Some Good News ! Leicester Game Nearly Sold Out ! - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |

...immensely prepared by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

The Inside Track: Leicester City

Show/hide article

After such an incredible 2015/16 season, how would you sum up this campaign so far for Leicester?

It has been a real mixed bag. While the Champions League has been a wonderful adventure and another great success story, the form in the league has been alarming. City set new records for a team on debut, in qualifying from their Champions League group with a game to spare, and, until their hammering in Porto in the last group game, they had only conceded one goal in their first five games.

Now they have a last-16 tie with Sevilla to look forward to. Their focus was on the Champions League because it was so unique and seen as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but that has had an impact on their league form and it is no coincidence that they went into European ties on the back of league defeats. Now they are starting to recover from that, but there remain genuine concerns they will get sucked into a relegation dogfight.

What’s the current form like?

Better. They were well beaten by Chelsea last week, but before that they had started to show signs of getting back to basics, especially away from home. It has been tough this season because injuries and suspensions have robbed them of key players Jamie Vardy, Kasper Schmeichel and Danny Drinkwater at times, while Riyad Mahrez has been off form and the new signings have taken time to settle. However, they won at Everton in the FA Cup and that has given everyone more confidence.

Is the team’s approach and style of play any different to last season?

City tried to carry on with the same system that served them so well last season, but teams now know what to expect and were able to nullify that threat. They have recently switched to a 4-3-3 away form home, with new signing Wilfred Ndidi and Papy Mendy coming into the team to support Drinkwater in midfield. That has given the back four more protection and they now try to hit teams on the break with the pace of Vardy and Ahmed Musa. It is a subtle twist on their approach from last season.

Why do you think results have been hard to come by away from home?

A big factor has been the sale of N’Golo Kante to Chelsea. He was brilliant at breaking up opposition attacks so City could spring onto the counter attack. Mahrez hasn’t been himself this season either, and that has meant the service to Vardy hasn’t been there. Also, City were great at getting into a lead and defending it, but this season they have rarely gone ahead and, when they have conceded, they have quickly let in a second, which has left them with mountains to climb. Confidence has then been hit.

Who would you say are the key men for Leicester this weekend?

The key men are the same as last season. If City can get some service into Vardy, they will be dangerous. They rely on Drinkwater to influence the midfield and skipper Wes Morgan, who has played every match, and goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel make up the spine of the team, but Saints fans should look out for 20-year-old Ndidi in midfield, who has looked really good since his arrival, and Demarai Gray if he features. He is a very exciting wide player.

Go to the original article

...unceremoniously produced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from ESPN FC article

Jose Fonte on brink of West Ham move from Southampton - sources

Show/hide article

Southampton defender Jose Fonte is to undergo a medical at West Ham United on Friday, sources close to the Hammers have told ESPN FC.

Sources told ESPN FC on Thursday that West Ham agreed a fee of ÂŁ8 million with Southampton for the centre-back.

West Ham held talks with the player’s representative on Thursday and an agreement was quickly reached giving Fonte the green light to undergo a medical at the London Stadium.

Southampton have reluctantly agreed to sell Fonte after the player handed in a transfer request earlier this month following contractual disagreements.

Fonte signed for Southampton in 2010 from Crystal Palace and has gone on to make 257 Premier League starts.

West Ham are hopeful of finalising a move for Fonte in the next 24 hours, with the Portugal international set to become the club’s first signing of this month’s transfer window.

Peter O’Rourke is ESPN FC’s transfer news correspondent. Follow him on Twitter @SportsPeteO.

...unfalteringly bred by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Puel looks ahead to Leicester clash

Show/hide article

Saints are without a victory in their last four league fixtures and come up against reigning champions Leicester City at St Mary’s this weekend.

Puel said: “It will be a strong game and I hope we have the support of our fans because it’s very important for us at home to make the difference.

“I think it will be a difficult game, because we are in the same situation with Leicester.

“We need points now after we lost against Burnley and I know we need to give a good answer.

“It’s the same for Leicester who play with a strong block and counter-attack. It’s important for us to have a good concentration and focus about this game without conceding chances.

“We have plenty of time to focus on Liverpool but Leicester City is the most important game because we are in difficulties in the second part of the table.”

...enthrallingly engineered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by OficialCedric tweet

@OficialCedric - CĂ©dric Soares

Time to prepare Sunday’s game against Leicester, after the FA Cup win! #SaintsFC #WeMarchOn

Retweets: 25

Favourites: 224

...gustily contrived by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

The Prediction Challenge: Nasser Hussain vs Paul Newman

Show/hide article

Welcome to The Prediction Challenge.

It’s what millions of us do every day - predicting what the score will be in a Premier League match.

Whether it’s a thumping 4-0 home win, a sneaky three points on the road or a 0-0 bore draw, let’s be honest – we all think we can tip the outcome of the next game.

Well, now we’ve challenged Sportsmail’s experts to test their prediction power.

Each week, we’ll ask one of our star columnists to go head to head with one of our top team of reporters.

They will offer their prediction for each Premier League match - and explain why they went for that score. There’s 30 points available - three points for the correct score and one point for the right result.

This week it’s NASSER HUSSAIN vs cricket correspondent PAUL NEWMAN
 and don’t forget to tell us your predictions by leaving a comment below.

NASSER HUSSAIN: Liverpool are brilliant at home and there’s no way I can see past an easy win for them in this one. The only thing that may stop Liverpool is that they’ve got a lot of games in a short space of time so I will be interested to see if Jurgen Klopp rotates his squad. Liverpool 3 Swansea 0.

PAUL NEWMAN: Jurgen Klopp’s side have stuttered a bit and will want Joel Matip to be available but even so I can’t see Swansea providing them with too much trouble. They might just nick a goal against Liverpool’s slightly shaky defence but they won’t keep them out. Liverpool 3 Swansea 1.

NASSER HUSSAIN: Bournemouth are an exciting side and will always score goals but they will leak them too whereas Watford’s problem is scoring. I think Bournemouth will be too strong but they need to finish off games. Bournemouth 2 Watford 1.

PAUL NEWMAN: I like Eddie Howe and Bournemouth and want Charlie Daniels in particular to do well. I want them to finish as high as possible so I’m going for a comfortable home win to put more pressure on Walter Mazzarri. Bournemouth 2 Watford 0.

NASSER HUSSAIN: Palace are really struggling and are defensively all over the place while Everton are on a decent run, albeit at home, and finding some form. Palace 1 Everton 2.

PAUL NEWMAN: It’s not been easy so far for Sam Allardyce and Palace might be coming up against Ronald Koeman’s Everton at the wrong time. This has the look of an away win with Everton the most likely team to penetrate the runaway top six between now and May. Palace 1 Everton 3.

NASSER HUSSAIN: West Ham have been brought together by Dimitri Payet’s absence and a bit of siege mentality has kicked in whereas Middlesbrough are a bit of a dull side to watch. I think this could be a poor game but Boro have a stingy defence. Boro 0 West Ham 0.

PAUL NEWMAN: Payet’s disgraceful behaviour seemed to be the catalyst for the Hammers to get going against Palace and I fancy they might carry that on here. But only just, as Middlesbrough are not an easy nut to crack. Boro 0 West Ham 1.

NASSER HUSSAIN: Stoke, as any Arsenal fan will tell you, is a very tough place to go and Manchester United are playing some good, exciting football now. This could be the game where Wayne Rooney, if fit, breaks their scoring record. Stoke 1 Manchester United 2.

PAUL NEWMAN: I would love Stoke to get something out of this to keep Manchester United at arm’s length from the top four and this would be a lovely time for Peter Crouch’s 100th Premier League goal. Go Crouchy. Stoke 1 United 1.

NASSER HUSSAIN: Sunderland are awful at the moment and Tony Pulis has organised West Brom really well this season. Can’t see anything other than a home win. West Brom 2 Sunderland 0.

PAUL NEWMAN: West Brom did well to come second at White Hart Lane last week and Tony Pulis will want a reaction after that. It really is all down to Jermain Defoe for Sunderland. If he doesn’t score it’s curtains. West Brom 2 Sunderland 0.

NASSER HUSSAIN: Game of the weekend. City have been struggling of late, although not at home, but since going out of the Champions League Tottenham have been the side to watch. I think Spurs will score but City will too and a draw would suit Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool fans. City 1 Spurs 1.

PAUL NEWMAN: What a big game this is! I hope Spurs fire as many shots on Claudio Bravo as possible and that Harry Kane gives John Stones the runaround. Christian Eriksen sealed a famous win for Spurs at City last year and I’m backing them to do it again. What did you expect me to say? City 1 Spurs 2.

NASSER HUSSAIN: Leicester don’t always travel very well and are missing a few players on Africa Cup of Nations duty. Southampton are good at home but I think Claudio Ranieri will take a point from this one. Southampton 1 Leicester 1.

PAUL NEWMAN: I feel sorry for Southampton. They have done so well to maintain a high position despite losing so many good players and two very good managers in recent times. It’s going to happen again with Jose Fonte and Virgil van Dijk sooner or later but maybe they can nip a result here. I hope so. Leicester broke Spurs hearts last year while the rest of the country saluted them. Southampton 1 Leicester 0.

NASSER HUSSAIN: Arsenal really scraped a lucky result at Turf Moor earlier this season and I reckon Burnley are a pretty good side. Their manager sets them up pretty well. I think Arsenal will win but they need to start better. Don’t listen to what that fool Newman predicts
 Arsenal 3 Burnley 1.

PAUL NEWMAN: Is it too much to hope for Burnley to produce a touch of their formidable home form at the Emirates? This won’t be easy for Arsenal that’s for sure, especially if Mesut Ozil is in one of those lazy moods and Alexis Sanchez throws another strop. We can but dream. Arsenal 0 Burnley 1.

NASSER HUSSAIN: Hull are a bit better under their new manager but I can’t see anything but an emphatic Chelsea victory. They are so strong at home and will probably have Diego Costa back too with something to prove. Chelsea 3 Hull 0.

PAUL NEWMAN: This has got to be the most predictable result of the day hasn’t it? Chelsea had their hiccup at Spurs but they were soon back in their routine and Antonio Conte is proving to be a fantastic manager for them. Chelsea 4 Hull 1.

...waifishly dreamed-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Fleming: The boys are on an upward curve

Show/hide article

With a number of his squad moving up to play for the Under-23s, Fleming has been tasked with bedding in a side of mostly first year scholars in recent weeks.

And despite Saturday’s defeat to Reading, he is positive they are heading in the right direction.

“There is no getting away from it, they have found it tough,” Fleming starts.

“It’s difficult for them dealing with lads that are physically more mature than them and further down the line with their development.

“Saturday was very disappointing, we conceded some sloppy goals, but all in all they are doing well. They are on an upward curve and that’s the main thing.

“Norwich will be similar. They’ve got a very strong team, as we have. But a lot of their boys are up with the Under-23s, so they don’t get to play very often. That sort of represents where they are in the league with us.”

The most recent player to have moved up to Martin Hunter and Radhi Jaïdi’s set-up is striker Jonathan Afolabi.

The 17-year-old made his second start for the Under-23s last week against Arsenal and found the net to put Saints ahead in the first half.

“It’s brilliant for him,” continued Fleming.

“To be honest with you, Jonathan came into the club and he wasn’t overawed but it was certainly a big shock for him. I think he was a little bit nervous when he first joined.

“So it’s just good to see him growing now and getting more confident and his performances are getting more and more consistent.

“He is growing and has probably been up there as one of the most improved from the start of the season to where we are now.”

...talentedly mustered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFCU18s coach Craig Fleming believes his young players are on the right track, as they prepare to visit #NCFC: http://sfcne.ws/CFPreNCFCA

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 5

...flagrantly shaped by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 20/01/2017 16:26:51

| | Hammers Move Closer to Signing FonteVITALFOOTBALL |
| | Southampton v Leicester City predictionsLEICESTERMERCURY |
| | ‘Only Southampton’ - Club only ones to submit ‘concrete’ proposal: €14m to €15mSPORTWITNESS |
| | Rumour Mill: Chelsea prepare move for Palace’s Benteke - TEAMtalk | Latest Football News & Transfer RumoursTEAMTALK |

...gleefully moulded by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Transfer news: Every Premier League club ranked by their record sale – from lowest to highest fees

Show/hide article

Football is a business of constant arrivals and exits.

Each transfer window we excitedly wait to see what new faces we’ll be watching in action throughout the season – but it’s not all about who comes into the team.

Some sides are forced into selling their star player, unable to compete with the financial prowess of their rivals.

While others are – as Dimitri Payet and Jose Fonte are doing so this month – almost held to ransom by requests to leave.

So here at talkSPORT we decided to look at the record departure for each Premier League club.

Find out which player left for the highest fee, from lowest to highest, by scrolling through the gallery above.

ALSO SEE: TOP 20 FOOTBALL CLUBS IN THE WORLD BASED ON RECORD SIGNING

...tinglingly assembled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFCU23s’ game against #BristolCity in the #PLCup tonight has been postponed due to a frozen pitch at Twerton
 https://twitter.com/i/web/status/822480810192142337

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 1

...happily costructed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

A date for #SaintsFC’s visit to #MCFC in the fifth round of the #FAYouthCup has been confirmed. Find out more: http://sfcne.ws/DateFAYCR5

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 4

...beneficially forged by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 20/01/2017 17:27:00

|

| Southampton boss closing in on leaders in Premier League Sack RaceNEWSLADBROKES |
| | ÂŁ8m Bid Accepted For Key Manchester United Target, Will Earn ÂŁ65,000-A-WeekMANCHESTERUNITEDBLOG |
| | Saints welcome back duo for Foxes visitCLUBCALL |
| | Southampton captain Jose Fonte expected to join West Ham today – reportSQUAWKA |

...undividedly conceived by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Video: Puel on Foxes test

Show/hide article

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

...glassily developed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Jose Fonte to have West Ham medical on Friday ahead of ÂŁ8m move - Sky sources

Show/hide article

Jose Fonte to have West Ham medical on Friday ahead of ÂŁ8m move - Sky sources

Southampton defender Jose Fonte will have a medical at West Ham on Friday ahead of a move to London, Sky sources understand.

Sky Sports News HQ reported on Thursday that Southampton and West Ham were in talks over the move, with an ÂŁ8m fee being agreed.

Southampton manager Claude Puel confirmed earlier this week that Fonte had “different possibilities” regarding a transfer, and it now appears that he has chosen a move to the London Stadium.

The Saints captain informed the club that he wanted to leave in the first week of the transfer window and he was forced to clarify on social media reports that he had rejected a new deal.

He said: “Just to set the record straight I did not reject a new contract. In fact, I have been informed by Southampton that they are not offering me a new contract.”

Liverpool were also reported to be interested in Fonte but Sky sources ruled the Reds out of the running earlier in the window.

Fonte has made over 280 appearances for the South Coast club, but he hasn’t been included in the squad since requesting a transfer.

...skimpily brought into existence by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

Southampton v Leicester City

Show/hide article

Virgil van Dijk and Ryan Bertrand are both likely to return for Southampton after sitting out the midweek FA Cup win over Norwich.

Jose Fonte will not be considered for selection while his future at the club remains uncertain.

Leicester’s Leonardo Ulloa, who handed in a transfer request, has been ruled out with a thigh injury.

The Foxes are without Africa Cup of Nations trio Riyad Mahrez, Islam Slimani and Daniel Amartey.

John Roder: "It was goalless when these two sides met earlier this season, and another 0-0 draw on Sunday has to be a strong possibility.

"Southampton are struggling for goals at St Mary’s in the Premier League this season, while Leicester have scored only eight on their travels.

"Leicester’s away record this season is in stark contrast to their title-winning campaign. A draw this Sunday would be a good result given the fact they come into the weekend in the bottom six.

“Claude Puel may very well inherit the “Tinkerman” nickname from Claudio Ranieri, for the Saints manager has not yet selected an unchanged side this season.”

Southampton manager Claude Puel: "It’s two teams with difficulties in the Premier League, in the same situation. We want a good result and the points. It’s important to have good concentration for this.

"They will want to counter-attack against us. We know this game.

“It’s a physical game also and it’s important to analyse them well, have good concentration and the right attitude, like the last three games.”

Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri: "Our goal is to get 40 points as soon as possible. Now we have two away matches and we will try to do our best.

“Sooner or later we will start to win away.”

Claude Puel’s rotation policy is not working. Meanwhile, Leicester’s form remains completely up and down.

The Foxes still have not won away from home, and do not look anything like the team they were last season. I do not see that changing here.

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

...slipperily generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SimonPeach tweet

@SimonPeach - Simon Peach

#SaintsFC captain Jose Fonte is close to joining #WHUFC for an initial ÂŁ8million, plus ÂŁ1million in add-ons

Retweets: 21

Favourites: 23

...pestiferously instantiated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 20/01/2017 18:27:26

|

| Southampton vs Leicester City Betting: Foxes set for more away-day woeGOALDOTCOM |
| | Rumour Mill: Man City willing to listen to Aguero offers - TEAMtalk | Latest Football News & Transfer RumoursTEAMTALK |
| | The Warm-Up: Fonte gets dream move to West Ham, City sign record teenEUROSPORTUK |

...mordantly made by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Predicted Opposition XI - Southampton vs Leicester | Southampton will welcome reigning Premier League champions Leicester City to the south coast on Sunday in an 
 20-01-2017 |

Older content

| Last time out - Southampton vs Leicester18 hours ago |
| Fonte set for West Ham medical tomorrow2 days ago |
| Cheltenham looking to loan Olufela Olomola2 days ago |
| Saints and the Sinners: Our Fallen Captain2 days ago |
| Van Dijk to hold out for summer City move2 days ago |
| Puel keen to bring in Sakho before Fonte sale2 days ago |
| Jose Fonte set to complete ÂŁ8m move to West Ham2 days ago |
| Jose Fonte agrees deal with West Brom, but will reject them2 days ago |
| Fiorentina plot Gabbiadini swoop amid Saints interest2 days ago |

...spiritually spawned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!