OptiNews - Friday 22 to Thursday 28 December 2017

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:camera_flash:

Shots from Staplewood where #SaintsFC continued plans for the #PL trip to #MUFC: http://sfcne.ws/TrainingPreMUa

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 4

...hurtly manufactured by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

Sol Bamba better defender than Virgil van Dijk, says Cardiff boss Neil Warnock

Show/hide articleā€¦

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock says Bluebirds centre-half Sol Bamba is a better defender than new Ā£75m Liverpool signing Virgil van Dijk.

Liverpool have confirmed they will sign Van Dijk from Southampton for a world record fee for a defender.

Warnock revealed he was close to signing the Dutchman while at Crystal Palace but rates Bamba higher.

ā€œI think Sol Bamba is slightly better than Van Dijk, defensive wise,ā€ said Warnock.

The Cardiff manager has previously stated he would not swap his own defender for any other in either the Championship or the Premier League and is standing by that, despite Van Dijkā€™s hefty price tag.

ā€œVan Dijkā€™s got better attributes on the ball but I donā€™t think heā€™s a better defender than Sol Bamba,ā€ added Warnock.

ā€œI think Van Dijkā€™s is more confident on the ball and easier on the eye but I donā€™t think heā€™s better defensively.ā€

The Ā£75m deal is a world record fee for a defender and Warnock says he tried to sign the Dutch international three years ago for Ā£69m less.

ā€œWhen I was at Palace, the centre half I was looking at was Van Dijk and I suggested we buy him for Ā£6m,ā€ said Warnock.

"At the time the chief scout said he wasnā€™t quick enough, he was playing in the Scottish League and he didnā€™t see him stepping up to the level we were looking for.

ā€œI hope heā€™s watching this morning that chief scout, Ā£75m? It made me smile when I saw that.ā€

Warnock is targeting a new signing of his own before they play Mansfield in the FA Cup third round on 6 January.

With a lengthy injury list, the Bluebirds boss is keen to add new faces to his squad as they challenge for automatic promotion from the Championship and is looking at loans and permanent deals.

ā€œIf I get the loan one [I want] then I might not do the permanent one,ā€ Warnock said.

"Iā€™m trying to get a deal done as early as possible. Iā€™m hoping come the FA Cup, Iā€™ll have somebody on board.

ā€œThatā€™s what Iā€™m aiming for but as you know itā€™s usually 10 oā€™clock at night on deadline day you get your player in.ā€

The Bluebirds are missing captain Sean Morrison, midfielder Aron Gunnarsson, striker Danny Ward, winger Kadeem Harris, goalkeeper Lee Camp and full-back Jazz Richards.

Without them, Cardiff have lost back to back league games for the first time this season and now face Preston on Friday in their final game of 2017.

ā€œI made quite a number of calls yesterday. Thereā€™s two or three transactions weā€™re looking into,ā€ Warnock added.

"Iā€™m meeting [Cardiff owner] Vincent Tan in the next few days just to have a chat about that. Itā€™s important he wants to support me the best he can as well.

"I donā€™t think itā€™s a time to spend massive money in January.

ā€œItā€™s a difficult window and you should do most of your business in the summer.ā€

Go to the original articleā€¦

...sanguinely dreamed up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by TheSportsman tweet

@TheSportsman - The Sportsman

:moneybag: Liverpool have now spent Ā£173M on Southampton players in the last 4 years

Southampton FC was bought for Ā£200m juā€¦ https://twitter.com/i/web/status/946323250325356544

Retweets: 15

Favourites: 59

...unmotivatedly coined by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Virgil Van Dijk not as good defensively as Sol Bamba, says Neil Warnock

Show/hide articleā€¦

Neil Warnock thinks Cardiff City centre-back Sol Bamba is a better defensive centre-back than Liverpool-bound Virgil van Dijk.

Van Dijk will become the most expensive defender in world football when he joins Liverpool on January 1 after the Reds agreed a Ā£75m deal with Southampton for the Dutchman on Wednesday.

Last week, Warnock said he would not swap Ivory Coast international Bamba for any defender in the Premier League or Championship. And speaking ahead of Fridayā€™s visit of Preston, live on Sky Sports Football, Warnock was asked if that included 26-year-old Van Dijk.

ā€œI think Van Dijk has got better attributes on the ball than Sol Bamba but I donā€™t think he is a better defender,ā€ Cardiff boss Warnock said ahead of the visit of Preston on Sky Sports Football on Friday.

ā€œI think Sol Bamba is slightly better than Van Dijk defensive-wise. I think Van Dijk has got more confidence on the ball and looks easier on the eye, but I donā€™t think he is better defensively.ā€

Warnock revealed he actually tried to sign Van Dijk during his time as Crystal Palace manager but was told the defender lacked the pace to adjust to the rigours of the Premier League.

"At centre-half I was looking at Van Dijk [when I was in charge at Crystal Palace]. I suggested we buy him for Ā£6m at the time and the chief scout said he wasnā€™t quick enough and didnā€™t see him stepping up [from the Scottish league] to the level we were looking for.

ā€œYouā€™ve got to be lucky with transfers when youā€™re a manager, youā€™ve got to hope that when you want a player you can actually go and get him rather than go through all the rigmarole but it made me smile in the morning when I saw that.ā€

Asked what he thought of the bold move made by Liverpool ahead of the January transfer window opening on Monday, Warnock said: "I think what a wasted few months. They should have done that over the summer rather than messing about with Ā£50m [that they bid in the summer] or whatever it was.

ā€œWhy not just do it over the summer and get him. Itā€™s a waste because Liverpool have needed a centre-half for a long, long time havenā€™t they? I think theyā€™ll be kicking themselves that they didnā€™t do it months ago.ā€

...abeyantly originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 28/12/2017 17:16:54

| | Leicester City in contention to sign Middlesbroughā€™s Ben Gibson in JanuaryHEREISTHECITY |
| | The picture Man City donā€™t want you to see of Van Dijkā€¦GOLIVERPOOL |
| | Ex-Crystal Palace boss: Scout warned me not to sign Virgil van DijkSCOTS |
| | ā€˜In a messā€™: Sky Sports pundit savages Southampton over transfer policyHEREISTHECITY |

...narrow-mindedly erected by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Forget Virgil van Dijk transfer fee, says Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp

Show/hide articleā€¦

Jurgen Klopp has told Liverpool fans to forget about the Ā£75m transfer fee they paid for Virgil van Dijk and instead focus on his quality.

Van Dijk will complete his move to Anfield on January 1 after Liverpool agreed to pay Southampton a world-record sum for a defender.

When asked what the 26-year-old will bring to the club, Klopp told Sky Sports: "Quality. Thatā€™s why we got him, thatā€™s why we were interested in him. Itā€™s quite difficult at the moment because technically heā€™s still a Southampton player.

"We donā€™t make the prices, the market does. Liverpool supporters should forget about the price.

ā€œWe only talk about the player and what he can bring in; the quality, the mentality, the character. That is why we are really happy about it.ā€

Van Dijk handed in a transfer request last summer in an attempt to force a move to Liverpool, only for Southampton to report the Reds for an alleged illegal approach.

The Netherlands international has made 12 appearances for Saints this season after recovering from a long-term knee injury and Klopp has called for patience as he acclimatises to Liverpoolā€™s style of play.

ā€œVirgil hasnā€™t had the best first half to the season at Southampton,ā€ said Klopp.

"He was out injured for a long time and we all know about the things that happened last summer.

"Heā€™s a tall player - they always need a little bit longer especially after being out for around nine months - but thatā€™s no problem. We already have quality here in that position so we donā€™t have to rush anything.

ā€œHe needs to adapt to our style of play. Itā€™s a completely different game, but we are 100 per cent sure he will do it.ā€

...inauspiciously contrived by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Liverpool signings from Southampton rated and slated: How high has the bar been set for van Dijk?

Show/hide articleā€¦

Another transfer window and another player moves from Southampton to Liverpool. It has not even opened yet!

A Ā£75million deal has been agreed between the two clubs that will see Virgil van Dijk swap the south coast for Merseyside. The Dutchman will sign on January 1st.

The move has attracted a huge amount of attention after Liverpool finally wore Southampton down and got the man they initially wanted to acquire last summer.

However, many have already questioned whether the centre-back is the answer to Liverpoolā€™s defensive problems and if too much has been paid to secure van Dijkā€™s signature.

He is the sixth Saints player to move to Anfield since the 2014 summer transfer window. Some have proved a success for Liverpool but others have failed to live up to their promise.

But how have these players done in Liverpool colours? Click the right arrow above to see talkSPORTā€™s assessment of the players who have left St Maryā€™s for Liverpool.

...gradually caused to be by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Warnock: Bamba better than van Dijk

Show/hide articleā€¦

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock insists Sol Bamba is defensively better than record-breaking Liverpool signing Virgil van Dijk.

...diminutively begot by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:innocent::latvia:

#TBT to Marian Paharsā€™ nutmeg on Jaap Stam and Old Trafford wonder-goal :clap: #saintsfc

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 5

...indicatively fabricated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Jurgen Klopp opens up on Liverpoolā€™s signing of Virgil van Dijk

Show/hide articleā€¦

Jurgen Klopp has told fans to ignore the price that Liverpool paid for Virgil van Dijk.

The Dutch centre-half was seen leaving Southamptonā€™s training ground on Thursday after saying his goodbyes.

Klopp finally landed the defender he has craved for so long after a Ā£75million deal was agreed with Southampton for January 1.

Some fans have criticised Liverpool and Klopp for shelling out a record fee on a central defender - with an old quote from the Reds boss slamming high transfer spend being circulated on social media.

But the German insists the price for Van Dijk is not important.

ā€œQuality. Thatā€™s why we got him, thatā€™s why we were interested in him,ā€ Klopp told Sky Sports.

"Itā€™s quite difficult at the moment because technically heā€™s still a Southampton player.

"We donā€™t make the prices, the market does. Liverpool supporters should forget about the price.

ā€œWe only talk about the player and what he can bring in; the quality, the mentality, the character. That is why we are really happy about it.ā€

Van Dijk has had a slow start to the season with Southampton and Klopp insists that he will not be rushing him into the starting XI.

Klopp continued: "He was out injured for a long time and we all know about the things that happened last summer.

"Heā€™s a tall player - they always need a little bit longer especially after being out for around nine months - but thatā€™s no problem. We already have quality here in that position so we donā€™t have to rush anything.

ā€œHe needs to adapt to our style of play. Itā€™s a completely different game, but we are 100 per cent sure he will do it.ā€

...imposingly formulated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

ā€˜We can buy 3 players with Van Dijk moneyā€™

Show/hide articleā€¦

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino says it was the right time to let Virgil Van Dijk leave and wants the board to reinvest in the squad

...unprofessionally fabricated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 28/12/2017 18:17:08

|

| Arsenal: Was a bullet dodged with Virgil Van Dijk transfer?FANSIDEDPAININTHEARSENAL |
| | Fonte apologises for Bertrand comment on Van Dijkā€™s InstagramGOLIVERPOOL |
| | ā€˜Heā€™s Slow And He Plays In Scotlandā€™ ā€“ Neil Warnock Reveals Why He Passed On Signing Virgil Van Dijk For Ā£6m At ā€¦WHOATEALLTHEPIES |
| | Chelsea to compete with Arsenal for Ā£30m-rated centre-back after missing out on Virgil van DijkREADCHELSEA |
| | Dutch Outfit Set For Windfall Following Virgil van Dijkā€™s Liverpool SwitchINSIDEFUTBOLCOM |

...tepidly prepared by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousersā€™ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton linked with January move for Theo Walcott | Southampton are reportedly looking to sign Theo Walcott from Arsenal in the January transfer window. According to a ā€¦ 28-12-2017 |
| Manchester City remain keen to land Southampton defender | Manchester City are seemingly still pondering a move for Southampton left-back Ryan Bertrand, the Daily Mail ā€¦ 28-12-2017 |

Older contentā€¦

| Four players who could leave Southampton in January18 hours ago |
| Players Southampton can reinvest the Van Dijk money on2 days ago |
| Southampton looking to conclude attacker deal2 days ago |
| Liverpool sign Virgil van Dijk from Southampton2 days ago |
| Van Dijk underwent Liverpool medical today2 days ago |
| Liverpool and Southampton agree Ā£75m fee for Van Dijk2 days ago |
| Pellegrino delivers update on Charlie Austinā€™s condition2 days ago |
| Analysing Mauricio Pellegrinoā€™s managerial performance against Tottenham2 days ago |

...avidly fabricated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Virgil van Dijk transfer: ā€˜Not worth it, but fantastic for Southamptonā€™ - What pundits have said about Liverpoolā€™s Ā£75m deal

Show/hide articleā€¦

Liverpool splashing out Ā£75m to take Virgil van Dijk from Southampton has certainly divided opinion.

Some have called the fee ā€“ a world record for a defender ā€“ a complete waste of money, while others have insisted it is a good move for a Liverpool team in desperate need of defensive steel.

Footballā€™s leading pundits have had their say about the huge deal, including Alan Shearer and Gary Neville. Find out what they think about it by clicking through the gallery above.

And let us know below whether you think Liverpool have got themselves a good or bad dealā€¦

Revealed: Crystal Palace rejected chance to sign worldā€™s most expensive defender Virgil van Dijk for Ā£6million

...verbosely given rise to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Full-back pairing remain sidelined

Show/hide articleā€¦

Mauricio Pellegrino has confirmed that regular full-back pairing CĆ©dric and Ryan Bertrand are not yet fit enough to return to competitive action, as the trip to Manchester United nears.

Striker Charlie Austin is also continuing to nurse a hamstring problem, while Bertrand could recover in time to feature when Saints host Crystal Palace on January 2nd.

The manager said: "Charlie, CĆ©dric and Ryan are the players who will not be involved against Man United.

ā€œMaybe Ryan is the closest to a return, I hope against Crystal Palace heā€™d be ready to play.ā€

...unyieldingly bred by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Van Dijk move stuns Okazaki

Show/hide articleā€¦

Leicester forward Shinji Okazaki is surprised by Virgil van Dijkā€™s move to Liverpool and has nothing but praise for the centre-half.

...concupiscently brought into existence by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Mauricio Pellegrino says selling Virgil van Dijk for Ā£75m is good business for Southampton

Show/hide articleā€¦

Mauricio Pellegrino says selling Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool for Ā£75m is good business for Southampton and he is talking to the board about how to reinvest the money.

Southampton and Liverpool agreed a deal on Wednesday that will see van Dijk move to Anfield in January for Ā£75m - a world record fee for a defender.

Van Dijk was seen as a key player for Southampton, but Pellegrino believes his departure could in fact be a positive for the club.

He said: "The deal is done and it will be positive for the club and for Virgil. Now we have to think about the future.

"You have to analyse in a positive way to reinvest this money in our squad to try to be stronger. At Southampton it is impossible to bring in players for Ā£80m or Ā£50m.

ā€œBut maybe for us it can mean a couple of good players. Maybe we can change one player for two or three players with this money.ā€

The January transfer window opens on Monday and Pellegrino confirmed he was in discussions with the board about reinvesting the van Dijk money into improving the squad.

He said: ā€œWe are talking about the couple of targets that weā€™ve got. I would like to bring in a couple of players minimum and we have to work for this.ā€

However, Southampton have one more match before they can think about how to spend their recent windfall - they travel to Manchester United on Saturday - and they do so on the back of a seven game winless run.

The Saints lost 5-2 at Tottenham on Tuesday and they were booed by a section of their fans - a reaction that the manager can understand.

He said: "Obviously I respect the opinion. Iā€™ve got the same feeling as the fans. I am obviously not happy when we donā€™t play well. I would like to keep the people proud of our team.

ā€œBut we have almost 50 per cent of the season ahead and we have time to bounce back and show another face. For this reason we have to come back to the simple principles.ā€

...dreadfully brought to pass by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from The Independent article

Mauricio Pellegrino reveals how Southampton plan to spend the Ā£75m Virgil van Dijk transfer fee

Show/hide articleā€¦

Mauricio Pellegrino hopes to sign at least two new players with the money banked from the Ā£75m sale of Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool.

Van Dijk became the most expensive defender in history on Wednesday, with the fee eclipsing the Ā£54million paid by Manchester City for full-back Kyle Walker.

The Holland centre-back handed in a transfer request during the summer as talk of Jurgen Kloppā€™s interest swelled, and Pellegrino insists his exit is smart business for Southampton.

ā€œI would like to bring in a couple of players minimum and we have to work for this. We have been talking about the couple of targets that weā€™ve got,ā€ Pellegrino said. "Maybe we change one player for two players or three players with this money and this has to be the positive target.

"We have to analyse this situation and this is good personally for him and will be positive if we reinvest in our good targets for the future. Sometimes at this level, Southampton is impossible to bring in players for Ā£80million or Ā£50million but maybe for us that can mean in the future a couple of good players.

"The question of whether the sale is a good deal is more for our board, but from outside of the business plan I think so. Now the deal is done and will be positive for the club and Virgil and we can reinvest this money in our squad to try to be stronger and this is everything.

ā€œWe have got our targets and have to look forward to pushing on and trying to improve our squad. Now the Virgil deal is done, my best wishes for him, but it has to be a positive impact to reinvest, a good decision for the future.ā€

...wobbily dreamed up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousersā€™ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton plot move for Swansea central defender | Southampton are eyeing up a potential move for Swansea City defender Alfie Mawson. According to The Mirror, ā€¦ 28-12-2017 |
| Southampton join West Ham in race to sign Celtic striker | Southampton are said to be among the Premier League clubs interested in making a move for Celtic striker Moussa ā€¦ 28-12-2017 |

Older contentā€¦

| Southampton linked with January move for Theo Walcott19 hours ago |
| Manchester City remain keen to land Southampton defender19 hours ago |
| Four players who could leave Southampton in January19 hours ago |
| Players Southampton can reinvest the Van Dijk money on2 days ago |
| Southampton looking to conclude attacker deal2 days ago |
| Liverpool sign Virgil van Dijk from Southampton2 days ago |
| Van Dijk underwent Liverpool medical today2 days ago |
| Liverpool and Southampton agree Ā£75m fee for Van Dijk2 days ago |

...unfamiliarly brought to pass by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 28/12/2017 19:17:21

| | Liverpool fans will love the 7 words Van Dijk uttered after Soton lost at Anfield [Times] GIVEMESPORT |
| | A Southampton fanā€™s point of view on VVDā€™s move to LiverpoolREADLIVERPOOL |
| | Jose Fonte reveals why he dropped Ryan Bertrand transfer hint in VVDā€™s Liverpool postGIVEMESPORT |
| | Pompey run rule over Southampton defenderPORTSMOUTHTODAY |

...southwestwardly costructed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!