OptiNews - Friday 24 February to Thursday 02 March 2017

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 24/02/2017 09:00:50

| | Paul Scholes: I want to see Jose Mourinho play this team against SouthamptonTHEPEOPLESPERSON |

...unwittingly originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

The Ugly Inside News for Southampton

New content from (- The Ugly Inside News for Southampton)

| Saints Need Key Players To Have BIG Games ! | Cup Finals are won when your key players pull out the game of their lives, Sunday will be no different for Saints … 24-02-2017 |
| The Ugly Inside Meets Matt Le Tissier | The Ugly Inside Video Channel had an in depth interview with Matt Le Tissier about the League Cup Final, watch it here. 24-02-2017 |

Older content…

| Time To Put Saints Season In Perspectivea day ago |
| The Ugly Inside Video Channel ! Predicted XI V Manchester Uniteda day ago |
| Lawrie McMenemy Meets The Ugly Inside Part 3 ! How I Signed Kevin Keegan2 days ago |
| Central Defence Is The Key ! Does Claude Puel Have Something Up His Sleeve ?2 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside Video Channel ! Remembering Wembley3 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside Video Channel ! Manchester United At Wembley Preview3 days ago |
| Saints Should Have Brought Back The Sash For Wembley3 days ago |
| A Rough Guide To Wembley4 days ago |
| Saints Legends To Sign Copies Of New Book4 days ago |
| Lawrie McMenemy Meets The Ugly Inside Part 24 days ago |

...disorganizedly coined by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

We’ll be live from Staplewood this afternoon, as #SaintsFC boss Claude Puel speaks to the media ahead of our… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/835052145351122946

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 3

...entertainedly erected by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Hojbjerg hoping for Champions League repeat

Show/hide article…

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg is determined to emulate his former Bayern Munich teammates by winning a Wembley final when he returns to the home of football with Saints.

The Danish international was sat among the Bayern substitutes during the 2013 Champions League final against Borussia Dortmund, having become the Bundesliga’s youngest player, aged just 17, six weeks earlier.

He and Liverpool midfielder Emre Can made their debuts in the same match and were sat alongside each other at Wembley as Bayern beat Dortmund 2-1.

“I was around the squad with Emre Can, now of Liverpool, when Bayern won the Champions League at Wembley,” he said.

“It was an amazing final. The winning goal was scored two minutes before the end so it was a final you remember for a long time.”

Hojbjerg was in a Bayern side including the likes of Thomas Muller, Arjen Robben and Toni Kroos that beat Dortmund in the German Cup final a year later.

He has also won the Bundesliga and is determined to add an English League Cup winner’s medal to his collection.

“The League Cup is not the biggest title in England but it’s a title,” he said. "Why are big players big players? Because they have won titles - and I want to be a big player.

"Growing up I would give my right hand to be able to feed myself and feed my family by playing football.

“So I can say I achieved the biggest dream. Now I’m dreaming even bigger I don’t want to stop.”

Hojbjerg believes he has improved during his first season with Saints, following his £12.8m move from Bayern last summer.

“I’ve learned a lot, I’ve enjoyed the club and the journey so far,” he said. "I can only say it’s going the right way.

"I really feel that I am in the right place at the right time.

"I would like it to be even better and to play even more. I have a lot to give, I feel hungry and motivated to keep on going.

"I just like playing football all the time, I love it. My girlfriend says I’m sick sometimes. I can’t deny I’m not in love with the sport and the whole passion about it.

“What you get in football you get nowhere else, in my opinion.”

The intensity of the Premier League has been one of the biggest challenges for Hojbjerg.

“My game has become even quicker, even more precise because the Premier League requires such a high amount of tempo but also perfection,” he continued.

"I like it when things are perfect, when my game is perfect and when that is needed at a high tempo it pushes you.

"You never know what’s coming up in the Premier League. You have a game at Hull, you lose - but you win at Anfield.

"This is the Premier League. When people ask me what is the difference between the Premier League and Bundesliga I say we lost at Hull but we won at Anfield.

“Every week you’re at zero again.This is good but it’s tough. The Bundesliga is tough but then they have the Christmas break, less games.”

Go to the original article…

...uniformly given rise to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

EFL Cup final: Manchester United v Southampton combined XI

Show/hide article…

Ahead of the EFL Cup final between Manchester United and Southampton, live on Sky Sports on Sunday, we’ve created a combined XI based on the Sky Sports Power Rankings…

United and Saints will go head to head at Wembley with managers Jose Mourinho and Claude Puel both looking to claim their first major silverware at their new clubs.

The selections are based on the top-performing players in this season’s Power Rankings, a system which awards points to players for 32 different matchday stats…

United goalkeeper David de Gea gets the nod ahead of Southampton stopper Fraser Forster, having only conceded 21 goals and kept 10 clean sheets from 25 games.

Injured Southampton centre-back Virgil van Dijk is one of only two Saints to make the XI and partners United’s Daley Blind at centre-back.

Antonio Valencia is the highest-ranked defender from either club in the Power Rankings and claims his place at right-back, with team-mate Marcos Rojo completing the back four at left-back.

Paul Pogba has received mixed headlines since his return to Old Trafford, but the Frenchman makes the heart of our team - ranking as the seventh-best Premier League player this season in the Power Rankings.

Ander Herrera has excelled as a deep-lying playmaker under Jose Mourinho this term and anchors the combined XI - allowing team-mate Henrikh Mkhitaryan to occupy an attacking midfield role.

Unsurprisingly, Zlatan Ibrahimovic spearheads the attack with nearly three times more Power Rankings’ points than any other striker from either side, flanked by team-mate Juan Mata and Southampton’s Nathan Redmond.

...self-sufficiently whittled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 24/02/2017 10:01:03

| | Dean Hammond predicts Southampton victory in EFL CupHEREISTHECITY |
| | Manchester United Possible Lineup vs Southampton: 4-2-3-1 With Key Players Out | FutnSoccerFUTNSOCCER |
| | Steven Davis will use Ibrox trophy haul to inspire him to League Cup victoryDAILYRECORD |
| | Martial Starts – Man Utd’s Strongest Possible 4-2-3-1 XI vs SouthamptonSOCCERISMA |
| | Chris Smalling: Wembley experience will give Man Utd the edge over SouthamptonSQUAWKA |

...monosyllabically given breath to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

“They can play a huge part.”

@FraserForster on the role of #SaintsFC’s fans in Sunday’s #MarchToWembley: http://sfcne.ws/FraserFansEFLF

Retweets: 4

Favourites: 10

...brazenly devised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 24/02/2017 11:01:17

| | Southampton Probable Lineup vs Manchester United: Stephens to start in EFL final | FutnSoccerFUTNSOCCER |
| | Report: Southampton to be taken over by Chinese Bank | FutnSoccerFUTNSOCCER |
| | THISISANFIELD |
| | Liverpool have a “head start” if they pursue Virgil van Dijk transfer – David PruttonSQUAWKA |
|

| SAINTS CUP FINAL: Haven’t got a ticket for the League Cup Final? Here’s where you can watch the big gameANDOVERADVERTISER |

...impalpably thrown together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

The Ugly Inside News for Southampton

New content from (- The Ugly Inside News for Southampton)

| Stephens Or Caceres That Is The Question | Claude Puel may not know too much about William Shakespeare but the quotes of the Bard will be brought to mind this … 24-02-2017 |

Older content…

| Saints Need Key Players To Have BIG Games !11 hours ago |
| The Ugly Inside Meets Matt Le Tissier11 hours ago |
| Time To Put Saints Season In Perspectivea day ago |
| The Ugly Inside Video Channel ! Predicted XI V Manchester Uniteda day ago |
| Lawrie McMenemy Meets The Ugly Inside Part 3 ! How I Signed Kevin Keegan2 days ago |
| Central Defence Is The Key ! Does Claude Puel Have Something Up His Sleeve ?2 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside Video Channel ! Remembering Wembley3 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside Video Channel ! Manchester United At Wembley Preview3 days ago |
| Saints Should Have Brought Back The Sash For Wembley3 days ago |
| A Rough Guide To Wembley4 days ago |

...indecorously generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Neville predicts United EFL Cup win

Show/hide article…

Gary Neville believes Manchester United will have enough to beat Southampton at Wembley on Sunday and win the EFL Cup.

...wrongly sired by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Premier League clubs ranked by how full their stadiums have been this season

Show/hide article…

WHICH Premier League stadium has been most full this season?

The Premier League is the most popular football division in the world.

But some clubs still struggle to fill all of the seats in their grounds every week.

So how full has your team’s stadium been this season and which club tops the list?

Click through the gallery above to find out.

...subjectively hatched by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Watch live as #SaintsFC train at Staplewood Campus, ahead of Sunday’s #MarchToWembleyhttps://www.periscope.tv/w/a36-cTMxOTB8MWxEeExST2FvTVBHbYy3hph8jfJia7QfYj6zwMGfPN0KpRZjFnjvGfwgmZI3

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 4

...emphatically dreamed up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

He took #SaintsFC to the 1979 League Cup final, and now Lawrie McMenemy looks ahead to our latest #MarchToWembley: https://grabyo.com/g/v/ABncHv5eoCN

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 4

...amenably hewn by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 24/02/2017 12:01:30

| | Manchester United favourites but Southampton can harness spirit of 1976INDIATODAY |
| | Sunderland midfielder eager to put Southampton debacle right on return to EvertonSUNDERECHO |
| | Saints Need Key Players To Have BIG Games ! - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |
|

| Model club Southampton hoping to claim silverwareJAPANTIMES |
| | Meets Matt Le Tissier - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |
| | Manchester United are a different team under “world-class” Jose Mourinho – Fraser ForsterSQUAWKA |

...scaredly given rise to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

McMenemy approves of time together

Show/hide article…

Lawrie McMenemy thinks the squad will benefit from the decision to spend a few days away from Southampton in preparation for Sunday’s EFL Cup Final.

Saints have been abroad for a few days in order to have more time together as a squad in the lead up to the weekend, and McMenemy agrees that it was the right thing to do.

“I think they went for warm weather and we’ve had a warmer climate here!” he joked. “It was a good idea to get them together and I would have done the same. I think we went the three or four days before and left direct from where we were to Wembley, but good luck to them for doing it this way.”

Following their FA Cup win in 1976, McMenemy was part of the club’s celebrations in the city of Southampton, and hopes that the current crop can reward the supporters in a similar way with a win at Wembley this weekend.

“I would hope it would be the same as then,” he said. “Many times I’m stopped and people can tell me not so much where they were on the Saturday but where they were on the Sunday when the open top bus went around. It was a 19 or 20 mile route which took ages and ages because it was the biggest crowd for any event ever in Southampton turned out.

“When I look at pictures now I still can’t believe it with the Guildhall where we got welcomed in by the mayor etc. it was just incredible. I think it wouldn’t be a bad idea to show the present team that sort of welcome back because that shows you what it means to the people that are working hard every day to make enough money to come and watch you, especially on Sunday where I think some of the tickets are £100 and it costs a lot more to get there too.

“They deserve maximum effort and it would be good to put everyone in the picture.

“When it gets to the final stages and they can see Wembley up the road I think they do then give it a go," he added. "Both teams will play their strongest teams and it looks like it could be a good game.”

...uncompetitively modelled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Mark Lawrenson’s Premier League and EFL Cup predictions: Who’s he backing?

Show/hide article…

MARK LAWRENSON has predicted all the big games coming up this weekend.

Manchester United face Southampton at Wembley in the EFL Cup final, while managerless Leicester v Liverpool is the standout Premier League match.

So who is the BBC pundit predicting to succeed in the coming days?

CLICK THROUGH THE GALLERY ABOVE TO FIND OUT.

...pompously prepared by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Paul Merson’s Premier League and EFL Cup predictions: How does he think your team will do?

Show/hide article…

PAUL MERSON has put his neck on the line by calling all the weekend’s big games.

Manchester United face Southampton at Wembley in the EFL Cup final, while managerless Leicester v Liverpool is the standout Premier League match.

But what does the former Arsenal star and Sky Sports pundit think will happen?

CLICK THROUGH THE GALLERY ABOVE TO FIND OUT.

...totally assembled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 24/02/2017 13:01:44

| | This Weekend’s Soccer on TVSOCCERBYIVES |

...drowsily caused to be by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from ESPN FC article

Can Southampton upset Manchester United in EFL Cup final clash?

Show/hide article…

The first silverware of the season, the EFL Cup, is up for grabs on Sunday.

Southampton have reached their first major final since 2003 and Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United are chasing a first League Cup trophy since 2010, Musa Okwonga (United) and Alex Crook (Southampton) preview what’s in store.

Who need this trophy more?

MO: In terms of an individual trophy, this would most probably mean more for Southampton, since it would be their first trophy of any kind since 2010 and their biggest trophy win since the FA Cup in 1976. That said, it would mean a great deal for Manchester United too as they continue their return to the top. Jose Mourinho understands the value of using the League Cup as a springboard for greater success, which is why he has taken it seriously enough to win it three times. It would be his first success with his new club and could be a special moment.

AC: Southampton have waited 41 years to win a major trophy, ironically since their shock FA Cup final win over United as a then-second division club, and have not contested a League Cup final since losing to Nottingham Forest in 1979 so their fans will feel they are long overdue a bit of silverware. Having said that, Saints go into the game with no pressure as most, including many of their own fans, expect United to continue their recent good run and win the game. There is no doubt the Red Devils have the superior squad so defeat would be a bigger blow to them than Southampton, whose followers will enjoy their day out whatever the result. Claude Puel will be desperate to mastermind an historic Wembley win in his first season in charge.

Would you swap this trophy for a place in the top four?

MO: No. It is important for United to re-establish themselves as part of the Premier League’s elite as quickly as possible. Though it would be painful to lose the final, that would be assuaged by, say, a third-or-second place finish – both of which are entirely possible. Chelsea are probably too far to be caught, but only four points stand between United and second place. With United in their current form – just one loss in four months – they are capable of closing the gap.

AC: That is a very tricky question as I believe football is about winning trophies and not finishing fourth! However, Southampton supporters loved their Europa League adventure (which ended with a premature group stage exit) this season, and would enjoy the chance to see their team go toe-to-toe with the very best again. Also finishing in the top four and playing in the Champions League would help stop the annual summer exodus from St Mary’s and give Saints a chance of keeping hold of the likes of captain and star player Virgil van Dijk. For that to be a serious possibility the board would have to show a lot more ambition and spend big money in the transfer market, which is unlikely under the current owner.

What could winning at Wembley do for your season?

MO: It would be very significant because it would be the first trophy that the club’s four new summer arrivals (Paul Pogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Eric Bailly and Henrikh Mkhitaryan) had won together, and would further bond the squad. Last season’s FA Cup victory is probably understated in terms of how it helped United to rediscover a winning mentality – indeed, it would be interesting if a new era of United success were to be marked by an FA Cup win against Crystal Palace, just as was the case when they beat the same opposition in 1990. A win at Wembley would not only continue that trend but would also take pressure off the shoulders of Pogba, on whom the burden to perform has seemed to weigh a little heavily in the biggest matches.

AC: Puel has come in for a lot of criticism due to his negative tactics and constant tinkering with the team. Beating United and becoming the first manager since Lawrie McMenemy to win a meaningful trophy would silence those critics in an instant. It has been clear for several weeks that the club are not going to challenge for a European place through the league and, given their early elimination from the FA Cup, this is their only chance of securing Europa League qualification for their third season in succession. Saints are too good to be dragged into the relegation battle so the season effectively ends at Wembley. Defeat would put the pressure on Puel for the remaining league matches; victory would make him a club legend alongside McMenemy and the heroes from 1976.

Romeu, the former Chelsea and Barcelona midfielder, is as technically accomplished as you would expect an old boy of those clubs to be, and so much of Southampton’s best play begins through him at the base of midfield. Herrera fulfils a similar role for United, and his intensity will be vital in making room for Pogba to thrive. Since being handed the keys to United’s midfield, Herrera has been outstanding this season, and this contest looks to be the most compelling one that the final will offer.

Yoshida has big shoes to fill in the absence of the injured skipper Van Dijk. The Japanese international has been much-maligned during his time at St Mary’s and there is no doubt he does struggle without the presence of someone of the calibre of Van Dijk alongside him. However, the centre-back appears to have cut out the mistakes which previously undermined him and has been in excellent form in recent weeks. Ibrahimovic has been a revelation since joining United last summer and has already been a thorn in Saints’ side with two goals in Southampton’s 2-0 Premier League defeat at Old Trafford in August, so if Yoshida can keep the talismanic Swede quiet then Southampton have a great chance of victory.

It is remarkable to state this now, but Mata – who many believed would be sold by Mourinho – has emerged as one of United’s most reliable playmakers. Not only does he lay on chances, he also finishes them with notable calm. His ability to find room in the final third matches anyone in the Premier League and he will be the team’s most important creative outlet – particularly in the probable absence of Mkhitaryan through injury. Any United breakthrough is most likely to come through Mata.

The Italian has taken the Premier League by storm since his £17 million transfer deadline day from Serie A side Napoli. It took Gabbiadini just 11 minutes to score a superb goal on his debut against West Ham and that was followed by two goals in the 4-0 demolition of Sunderland. The impact Gabbiadini has made has lifted his teammates; Saints were struggling for goals prior to his arrival and they will look to get him on the ball as much as possible.

MO: Southampton 1-2 Manchester United. United should have just too much firepower for a side who can be dangerous going forward but too often find themselves exposed in defence.

AC: Southampton 1-2 Manchester United. If Gabbiadini is firing Southampton have a big chance, but they could not be facing a United side in better form and Mourinho does not make a habit of losing major finals.

...chipperly assembled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Robbie Savage predicts EFL Cup Final win for Manchester United

Show/hide article…

Manchester United will have too much fire power for Southampton in Sunday’s EFL Cup Final, according to Robbie Savage.

The Mirror columnist is backing Jose Mourinho to become the first Red Devils boss to bag a major trophy in his first season with a win at the weekend.

And he believes in-form front man Zlatan Ibrahimovic will be among the goals, tipping him to score a brace in a United win at 7/1.

Robbie has given his predictions for the weekend’s action in a series of exclusive videos, in association with William Hill.

Don’t forget you can get a £5 bet every week with the William Hill Offer Club. For more tips and odds for this weekend check out William Hill’s Twitter @WillHillBet.

Speaking ahead of the match, he said: "I can’t see anything other than a Manchester United win.

"Jose Mourinho lifted this trophy three times with Chelsea. Looking at it, he’s doing a very good job at Manchester United.

“Zlatan Ibrahimovic, he scored a brace in the game earlier in the season against the Saints, playing well…so many goals. He’s got pace around him and Pogba’s starting to perform really well.”

A win for United in 90minutes also features in Robbie’s latest #SavAcca at 16/1, along with victories in the Premier League for sides including Chelsea, Crystal Palace and West Ham. Check out his full list of predictions in the video above.

And don’t forget you can get a £5 bet every week with the William Hill Offer Club. For more tips and odds for this weekend check out William Hill’s Twitter @WillHillBet.

...acclamatorily created by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!