OptiNews - Friday 24 to Thursday 30 November 2017

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Pellegrino: I’m not scared for my job

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino says he is not concerned over his job as Southampton manager.

Go to the original article…

...suppliantly formed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino dismisses relegation talk

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino has dismissed suggestions Southampton are in a relegation battle and also insists he does not fear for his job.

The Argentinian has so far overseen an underwhelming start to the season in which Saints have won only three of 12 Premier League games.

It leaves the side in 14th, just months after predecessor Claude Puel was sacked having led them to eighth.

Pellegrino has also experienced significant unrest from the club’s supporters and criticism of his style of play.

But he insists that finishing only six points above 17th last season and being within two of the top 10 now means he is unconcerned.

When asked if his team was battling relegation, Pellegrino said: 'We are five points from eighth or four points away (from the bottom three): to be in the top of the table or the bottom.

'This is the Premier League; it’s amazing for this, because it’s really competitive, and also really difficult.

'When we think about the end of the last season, between eighth and 17th, there were six points. We’re talking about 10 teams and six points.

‘The Premier League is really tough, and a lot of teams are in similar situations, we have to fight for every single point.’

Tony Pulis became the fifth Premier League manager this season to be sacked when he was shown the door by West Brom, who are only three points behind Southampton.

When asked about his job security, Pellegrino said: 'I’m not scared about my job.

'I’m scared about a lot of things, not my job.

'The most risk in football is to work in football, because you need results all the time.

'It’s a really nice job with a lot of situations that I know and I knew in my past as a player and as a manager: it’s part of our situation.

‘Everything can happen or change in one or two games.’

On Sunday, Southampton host Everton, who the manager overcame 2-1 as a Liverpool player in 2005.

His potential absence comes with fellow central midfield Oriol Romeu already suspended, and Pellegrino said: 'It will be really important (to win), because we can increase our confidence in our job, our players, our beliefs, and the people who work around the team.

'Everybody needs a good game, but the most important thing is trying to play (so) that we deserve to win.

‘We have to use the Burnley game (a 1-0 home defeat earlier this month after which he praised their performance), to continue in this way, because continuing to play this way will win us a lot of games.’

...throbbingly erected by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino ‘not scared’ for job

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino says he is not concerned over his job as Southampton manager but admits his side’s confidence and results must improve, ahead of the Super Sunday visit of managerless Everton.

Southampton sit 14th in the Premier League table with three wins from 12 games, and the boss revealed he would consider looking to the January transfer window to strengthen key areas within the squad.

Asked whether he fears for his future at St Mary’s, the Argentine said: "I am not scared about my job. I am scared about a lot of things, but not about my job.

"In football, we need results all the time.

“The biggest risk in football is to work in football. Everything can happen and it can change in one game.”

Southampton have scored just nine league goals so far this season - the third fewest behind struggling sides Crystal Palace and Swansea.

“Always we are looking for a player that we think can improve our squad, but it’s not easy because in the Premier League every single team has got power,” he said.

“Sometimes the same club is fighting for the same player. But we are open to seeing the market and to check in which situation we can improve.”

The Saints sit two places and one point above this weekend’s visitors Everton, who are yet to appoint a replacement to the sacked Ronald Koeman.

Pellegrino will make a late call on the fitness of midfielder Mario Lemina, who has been out for five weeks with an ankle problem, and is hoping his men can bounce back from last weekend’s 3-0 defeat to Liverpool.

“We’re trying to learn and trying to show our reaction, our character in difficult moments and difficult games,” he said.

“We’ve got another opportunity to try to get three points because it will be really important for us to increase our confidence.”

The Saints will look to add to Everton’s woes after a dismal Europa League campaign and a difficult start to the Toffees’ Premier League season.

Everton have lost six of their 12 league games and travel to St Mary’s off the back of a 5-1 Europa League thumping by Atalanta on Thursday, having previously been knocked out of the competition.

“Obviously we need to get points, but it will be really tough… like every single game,” said Pellegrino.

“The small detail will decide if the game goes to one side, or to the other. We have to fight for these three points.”

A number of Southampton fans have threatened to boycott Sunday’s game in protest at recent results - something the manager alluded to.

“People want to go to the pitch to be happy, to try to be a good Sunday,” he added.

"But sometimes, when the game is not good enough and your team is not winning, you come back and it is an emotional sport.

“With the people who are involved in this club, we’ve got the same feeling as them.”

...hellishly invented by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 24/11/2017 16:04:15

|

| Soccer: Southampton’s Lemina faces late test to be fit for EvertonREUTERS |
| | What has happened to this former Charlton player?KENTLIVE |
| | Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino dismisses talk of relegation battleBELFASTTELE |

...relievingly produced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino ‘not scared’ for job

Show/hide article…

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino says his side are not in a relegation battle and he is not afraid of losing his job.

The Saints, who sacked Claude Puel after finishing eighth last season, are 14th after three wins in 12 Premier League games under Pellegrino.

“We are five points from eighth. Or four points away [from the bottom three],” he said.

“I’m scared about a lot of things, not my job.”

The Argentine, who replaced Puel in June, added: "This is the Premier League. It’s amazing for this, because it’s really competitive, and also really difficult.

"When we think about the end of the last season, between eighth and 17th, there were six points. We’re talking about 10 teams and six points.

“The Premier League is really tough, and a lot of teams are in similar situations. We have to fight for every single point.”

Five Premier League managers have been sacked this season, most recently West Brom boss Tony Pulis.

“The most risk in football is to work in football, because you need results all the time,” said Pellegrino. “Everything can happen or change in one game, two games.”

Southampton host Everton, who are two places and one point below them in the table, on Sunday at 13:30 GMT.

...chidingly shaped by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

‘The Premier League is really tough’

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino says the Premier League is tight and teams must “fight” for every point.

...ornerily shaped by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

Southampton v Everton

Show/hide article…

Southampton are without midfielder Oriol Romeu, who is suspended after accumulating five yellow cards.

Saints will therefore hope injury doubt Mario Lemina, who has missed the last three games with an ankle problem, is passed fit.

Phil Jagielka and Morgan Schneiderlin are both doubts for the Toffees with groin and toe injuries respectively.

Arlo White: "Three days on from what David Unsworth called an ‘unacceptable’ capitulation against Atalanta, and with no wins in their last 14 away league games, Everton face a Saints side with just one home victory this season.

"Everton have lost four of six games in all competitions since Ronald Koeman was fired, conceding 16 goals. It’s ironic that the manager they covet, Marco Silva, is in charge of the only side they’ve beaten.

"Mauricio Pellegrino’s Saints have scored just four goals from open play in 12 league games and are at a crucial crossroads. They face Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester United before the new year.

“You can never rule out a classic, but even at this stage of the season there is an air of concern and desperation around both clubs. Is it too early to call it a six-pointer?”

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino: "We are five points from eighth, or four points away [from the bottom three]… this is the Premier League; it’s amazing for this, because it’s really competitive, and also really difficult.

"I’m not scared about my job. I’m scared about a lot of things, not my job.

“The most risk in football is to work in football, because you need results all the time.”

Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth, speaking after Thursday’s defeat by Atalanta: "I’d like to think every single player is hurting the way I am at the moment and if they are not then they shouldn’t be here at this great club.

“The minimum requirement is 100% effort. I asked the players to make it difficult for me to leave them out of the team on Sunday and the majority have probably made it very easy for me.”

The Toffees have taken only three points from six games on the road this season and, although I admire David Unsworth’s approach of always picking a team that has a real go at sides, I do not see them having any success against Saints.

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Liverpool that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

...censoriously engineered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Pellegrino: Diving no issue

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino says he doesn’t think there is a problem with diving in the Premier League despite Oumar Niasse’s retrospective ban.

...chipperly given birth to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 24/11/2017 17:04:23

| | Premier League In Focus – Southampton vs Everton PreviewTHESTATSZONE |
| | Southampton and West Ham seeking deal to end goal-scoring woes – report | | Where football transfer rumours fly or die!THETRANSFERTAVERN |
|

| Southampton v Everton: Misfiring attacks to continue to struggle on south coast | Goal.comGOALDOTCOM |
| | Pellegrino: 'I don’t fear for job’SPORTSMOLE |

...assimilatedly manufactured by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

Missed #SaintsFC boss Mauricio Pellegrino’s pre-#EFC press conference?

Catch up on all the key points with Maurici… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/934105066218299393

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 3

...enigmatically generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by Coral tweet

@Coral - Coral

:red_circle: Southampton
:bust_in_silhouette: Rickie Lambert
:pound: Cost: £1m

Signed from Bristol Rovers in 2009.

106 goals in 207 appearances.

P… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/934084873421312001

Retweets: 9

Favourites: 26

...heftily begot by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton Predicted XI: Everton (H) | Southampton will be looking to secure a much-needed win on Sunday when they welcome Everton to St Mary’s. Saints are … 24-11-2017 |

Older content…

| Lemina to have late fitness test ahead of Everton meeting17 hours ago |
| Southampton, Everton, West Ham, Stoke linked with former Watford man2 days ago |
| Will boring football become the norm?2 days ago |
| Should Saints sell Virgil van Dijk in January?4 days ago |
| Manchester City to rival Liverpool for Virgil van Dijk in January5 days ago |
| Liverpool 3-0 Southampton: Match Report5 days ago |
| Southampton Player Ratings: Liverpool (A)5 days ago |
| Liverpool vs Southampton: Last time out7 days ago |
| Klopp bangs the drum ahead of Liverpool vs Southampton7 days ago |

...crassly produced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Southampton vs Everton: Team news, kick-off time, odds and stats

Show/hide article…

Ahead of the Premier League’s weekend action, Sportsmail will be providing you with team news, betting odds and Opta stats. Here is all you need to know as Southampton host Everton.

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino faces a potential problem in central midfield unless Mario Lemina is passed fit to start against Everton on Sunday.

The 24-year-old has been struggling with an ankle injury and will be assessed before Pellegrino picks his team.

Fellow central midfielder Oriol Romeu is suspended, while Matt Targett is absent with a leg injury.

Everton striker Oumar Niasse will become the first Premier League player to serve a suspension for diving when he sits out Sunday’s trip to Southampton.

Niasse was found guilty of deceiving the referee to win a penalty against Crystal Palace and has been hit with a two-game ban.

Caretaker manager David Unsworth will make sweeping changes to the side humbled 5-1 by Atalanta on Thursday. Tom Davies is suspended and there are questions over Phil Jagielka (groin) and Morgan Schneiderlin (toe).

Southampton have lost one of their last eight home Premier League meetings with Everton (W4 D3), losing 0-3 in August 2015.

Everton have failed to score in eight of their last 12 Premier League visits to face Southampton, including four of the last five.

Saints haven’t scored in 10 of their Premier League home games so far in 2017 - only rivals Portsmouth (11 in 2007) have failed to score in more Premier League home matches in a single calendar year (also Fulham 10; in 2002 and Manchester City; 10 in 1995).

Everton have made the earliest substitutions on average this season (65th minute) and have made more subs before the start of the second half than any other Premier League side (nine).

No team has scored more penalties than either of these sides in the Premier League so far this season (three, level with Man City), with a league-high 33 per cent of Southampton’s goals coming from the spot (3/9).

The Toffees are currently winless in 14 away Premier League games – their second longest such run in the competition, following a run of 19 between December 1996 and December 1997.

Everton have conceded 157 fouls in the Premier League this season, more than any other side. Twenty-six of these came in their last game against Crystal Palace, the most by a Premier League side in a game since Bolton vs Chelsea in December 2010 (also 26).

Everton have been trailing for seven hours and 48 minutes in the Premier League this season – only Crystal Palace have been behind for longer (eight hours and 43 minutes).

Everton’s Oumar Niasse has scored in his last two Premier League starts – having scored in just one of the 15 previous games he started in the competition.

Cedric Soares has fired in 59 crosses from open play this season; 11 more than any other player in the Premier League.

...raspily given birth to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino looking to add to squad in January

Show/hide article…

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino admits he will look to strengthen his side in January, should the right options become available.

The Saints have won just once in their last five Premier League matches and host struggling Everton on Sunday.

And having found the back of the net just nine times so far this season, Pellegrino admits a new striker will certainly be top of his January shopping list.

When asked if he will look to bring in a striker during the mid-season window, Pellegrino replied: "Always we are looking for a player we think can improve the squad.

"It’s not easy because every club in the Premier League is doing the same.

“We are open to see the market to check in what situation we can improve.”

...rhetorically dreamed up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 24/11/2017 18:04:35

| | Lemina Could Return For Clash With The Toffee’s - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |
|

| Southampton manager dismisses lingering relegation fearsFOOTBALL365 |
| | The Saints Injury List Clearing NicelyVITALFOOTBALL |
| | MIDDLESBROUGHFC |

...impatiently generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFC and partners @SportPesa have today launched their #KitsForAfrica initiative! Find out how you can help:

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 1

...concealingly given birth to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFC and partners @SportPesa have today launched the #KitsForAfrica initiative! Find out how you can help:

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 6

...overwhelmingly bred by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Southampton v Everton preview: Mario Lemina in contention

Show/hide article…

Mario Lemina could return from injury as Southampton face struggling Everton on Nissan Super Sunday.

The midfielder has not played for over a month due to an ankle injury, but Saints head coach Mauricio Pellegrino says a “late call” will be made on whether he features at St Mary’s.

In Lemina’s absence, Saints have not won a game and have only scored one goal in their last three outings.

Pellegrino has experienced some unrest from the club’s supporters and criticism of his style of play, but he said: "We are five points from eighth. Or four points away (from the bottom three): to be in the top of the table or the bottom.

“This is the Premier League; it’s amazing for this, because it’s really competitive, and also really difficult.”

Everton are one of the few sides in worse form than Southampton as they have lost six of their last eight matches in all competitions, including a 5-1 home defeat to Atalanta in the Europa League on Thursday.

Despite the Toffees’ poor run of form, striker Wayne Rooney thinks there have been improvements under caretaker manager David Unsworth.

“There’s been a change of manager, it’s been a positive change I believe in terms of performances, tonight aside,” he said. “You can see that on the pitch. We have to keep trying to pick up points in the Premier League and try and climb up the league.”

Pellegrino faces a potential problem in central midfield unless Lemina is passed fit to start.

Fellow central midfielder Oriol Romeu is suspended, while Matt Targett is absent with a leg injury.

Everton striker Oumar Niasse will become the first Premier League player to serve a suspension for diving.

Niasse was found guilty of deceiving the referee to win a penalty against Crystal Palace and has been hit with a two-game ban.

Unsworth will make sweeping changes to the side humbled 5-1 by Atalanta on Thursday. Tom Davies is suspended and there are questions over Phil Jagielka (groin) and Morgan Schneiderlin (toe).

Saints have lost one of their last eight home Premier League meetings with Everton (W4 D3), losing 0-3 in August 2015.

Everton have failed to score in eight of their last 12 Premier League visits to face Southampton, including four of the last five.

Southampton haven’t scored in 10 of their Premier League home games so far in 2017 - only rivals Portsmouth (11 in 2007) have failed to score in more Premier League home matches in a single calendar year (also Fulham 10; in 2002 and Manchester City; 10 in 1995).

Everton have made the earliest substitutions on average this season (65th minute) and have made more subs before the start of the second half than any other Premier League side (9).

Southampton are hard to watch. Nothing happens! You can sort of see what will happen in the game: they’ll have a lot of the ball, passing neat and tidy, but I can’t imagine Jordan Pickford having to make four saves.

I think David Unsworth will have the job until the end of the season, and sooner or later the Silva deal will be done and it’ll happen in the summer.

I think Everton are writing this season off now, as long as they don’t go down. If they bring a manager in now, he’ll want £50m or £60m in January.

Southampton are marginally odds-on at 17/20 for the victory with Everton priced at 7/2 while the draw is a 23/10 chance. Manolo Gabbiadini and Charlie Austin share favouritism in the first goalscorer betting at 4/1 apiece, while Wayne Rooney is considered the Toffees’ main threat at 15/2 to net first.

...relishingly instituted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Mauricio Pellegrino says Premier League does not have diving problem

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino says Premier League does not have diving problem

Mauricio Pellegrino says he doesn’t think the Premier League has a problem with players diving in light of Oumar Niasse’s retrospective ban.

Southampton face Everton this weekend, who will be without Niasse after he became the first Premier League player to be charged with deceiving a match official.

Niasse is banned because an FA panel decided that he dived to win a penalty during Everton’s 2-2 draw against Crystal Palace.

Pellegrino said he respected the decision but didn’t think diving was a widespread problem.

“Sometimes it [the decision] can help you, sometimes it’s against you, but I think we need to respect the law because they want to improve the game, and that’s the most important thing,” said Pellegrino.

"Will it stop players diving? I don’t know, when you are playing you are not always thinking about this because it’s a split second decision.

“But I don’t see too many people in the Premier League doing this. The Premier League is clean and people don’t have this bad feeling to try to dive, against the referee or the game,” he said.

...defenselessly brought into existence by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

LISTEN: Download the Stat Attack podcast for Premier League predictions

Show/hide article…

We’re back with Premier League predictions, stats and facts on the Stat Attack podcast.

Host Max Rushden and head of Sky Data Harry Carr bring you stacks of stats and heaps of facts each week, as well as making their predictions for the upcoming Premier League fixtures.

The guys will also be joined each week by a special guest, delivering in-depth analysis on a key talking point each week.

Click here to listen to the Sky Sports Stat Attack podcast

This week, Max and Harry are joined by Sky Sports data journalist Adam Smith, who has stacks of stats to determine whether Tony Pulis should have been sacked and which other managers could face the axe.

Will all these stats help the boys with their weekly Premier League predictions? Check out the video above for Harry’s killer stats of the week - and then download the podcast to find out…

You can get involved, too, by tweeting @MaxRushden and @harrydcarr the questions you need to know the answers to.

Click here to download the Sky Sports Stat Attack podcast from iTunes.

...entrancingly designed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!