OptiNews - Friday 31 March to Thursday 06 April 2017

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

“That’s him at his best!”

:one: day to go! @JayRodriguez9’s brace helped #SaintsFC see off #AFCB in December: https://grabyo.com/g/v/jFjljpTxTB8

Retweets: 5

Favourites: 14

...ominously erected by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Quiz: Who is each top-flight club’s record Premier League scorer?

Show/hide article…

Thousands of matches have taken place since the Premier League first began in the 1992-93 season.

And many players have racked up hundreds of league matches at the same club.

But do you know the player who has represented his team the most times in Premier League matches at each club?

We’ve used statistic website 11v11 to help us identify each current Premier League club’s stalwart.

But how will you get on? Take our quiz to find out.

If you’re unable to see the quiz in the MailOnline app or in Facebook Instant Articles please click on the following link to view it on our website instead.

Go to the original article…

...subduedly created by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 31/03/2017 13:42:40

| | Southampton star reacts to Man City transfer talkMANEVNEWS |
| | Chelsea 'confident of Van Dijk deal’SPORTSMOLE |
| | Gabbiadini To Miss BournemouthVITALFOOTBALL |
| | Should We Have A Name For Our Neighbours From Across The Forest ? - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |

...laboredly put together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Chelsea want to re-sign Ryan Bertrand this summer | Chelsea want to re-sign Ryan Bertrand this summer to add defensive reinforcement ahead of their Champions League … 31-03-2017 |

Older content…

| Southampton v Bournemouth: Predicting the Saints13 hours ago |
| Predicted Opposition XI: Bournemouth (H)13 hours ago |
| Last time out - Southampton vs Bournemouth13 hours ago |
| Chelsea confident of Van Dijk signing13 hours ago |
| Puel admits Boufal is struggling with a lack of confidence2 days ago |
| Puel reveals he has dealt with Tadic 'internally’2 days ago |
| How well do you know Saints’ history with Bournemouth?2 days ago |
| Southampton team news: Bournemouth (H)2 days ago |
| Southampton keen on summer move for Jean Seri2 days ago |

...refreshingly given rise to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Puel calls for Tadic to do his talking on the pitch and not off it

Show/hide article…

CLAUDE Puel has spoken with Dusan Tadic over his comments stating the St Mary’s chief had not shown him “enough respect”.

The Serbian playmaker has been substituted for five successive games and in total has completed just four full games in his 20 Premier League appearances this season.

And after being once more hauled off in the 2-1 defeat to Tottenham, Tadic said: “It’s unbelievable that I was subbed again and we also lost.

“You can see statistically that we concede or lose when I’ve been taken off. I don’t think this shows enough respect for me.”

After the 28-year-old returned from international duty with Serbia, Puel held a discussion with Tadic over his remarks.

“All players can have disappointments after a game, I can understand this, but we’ve sorted this internally with calm,” Puel explained.

“He knows it was not a good response, it’s always better to give the answer on the pitch and not outside.”

Puel also broached the subject of Virgil van Dijk’s future during his press conference ahead of the Bournemouth match at St Mary’s.

Van Dijk, who is currently sidelined with an ankle injury, has attracted the interest of numerous clubs, but Puel is calm about his captain’s future.

“For me his injury doesn’t change anything,” he said. “He’s an important player for us, he’s our captain and it’s the first time he’s ever been a captain.

“It’s important he takes this role with quality and good attitude and spirit.

“He can learn all this not just to think about his game. He can learn the management of the team and his team-mates.

“It’s a new role for him and he needs to take experience and maturity and he can improve with us.

“He’s a good player and for me one of the best defenders in the Premier League.

“He can play with us and we can give him all the maturity and quality for the future.”

...untruthfully formed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Chelsea transfer news: Blues to beat Manchester City in £50m deal for Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk? Fan reaction

Show/hide article…

One player Chelsea could spend the big buck on this summer is Virgil van Dijk.

The Southampton defender has been sidelined for the past two months, but his form before suffering his ankle injury has not been forgotten.

Liverpool and Manchester City were heavily linked with a move in the January transfer window, but it’s now claimed that Chelsea are confident of sealing a £50m deal.

But with the Blues’ back line performing so well this term and Antonio Conte having a strong squad at his disposal, is Van Dijk a signing the club really need?

Here’s how a selection of supporters have reacted to the speculation…

...aesthetically instantiated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Gabbiadini to miss Cherries clash

Show/hide article…

Gabbiadini went off in the 2-1 defeat to Tottenham just under a fortnight ago with a groin problem, and has not recovered in time for the showdown with the Cherries.

"I think that Gabbiadini cannot play this game,” said Puel. "He is not available, but we will see for the next one. For the other players, I hope and think it’s ok.

"I will see this afternoon, because I haven’t been able to see some of our international players, like Long, Stephens, Boufal, Sims, McQueen – many players.

“Of course, for us, it’s a little difficult because we have had 15 international players for this break. It’s a good thing for them and the club, but difficult for the staff to work and prepare this game for Bournemouth.”

Puel also provided an encouraging update on Charlie Austin, who he hopes could return to action during April from his long-term shoulder injury.

"Charlie has made progress,” he said. "He needs to see his doctor from the surgery, but all the process is good for him.

“At the moment he trains alone, but he is doing good work and I hope he can come back in three weeks, I think.”

...haphazardly churned out by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from London Evening Standard article

Chelsea want to bring Ryan Bertrand back to the Bridge with Virgil van Dijk

Show/hide article…

Chelsea have added their former left-back Ryan Bertrand to their list of summer transfer targets.

Antonio Conte wants to strengthen in both full-back positions and increase the competition for first-choice duo Marcos Alonso and Victor Moses. Conte is a huge admirer of Bertrand, who Chelsea sold to Southampton for only £10million in 2015.

Bertrand made just 27 League starts in nine years at Stamford Bridge having joined the academy from Gillingham.

The 27-year-old became the first player in Champions League history to make his debut in the final when Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in 2012.

But the arrival of Jose Mourinho as manager in 2013 ended his chances of regular first-team football. After being sent to Southampton, for what was his ninth loan spell from Chelsea, the deal was made permanent two years ago.

Bertrand has thrived at St Mary’s Stadium, becoming a regular member of the England squad and played at Euro 2016. Chelsea are keen to increase their home-grown quota.

Bertrand’s style of play as an attacking wingback is regarded as a perfect fit for Conte’s 3-4-3 formation.

Chelsea have shown no hesitation in buying back players they have sold in recent years. They re-signed both Nemanja Matic and David Luiz, while Everton striker Romelu Lukaku was subject of a bid during the last close season and is on their wish-list again for the end of this campaign. However, Chelsea face a tough task to prise Bertrand away from Southampton, who agreed a new five-year contract with him last summer and value the England international in excess of £25m.

Manchester City have also earmarked the former Gillingham trainee as a possible replacement for Gael Clichy.

Chelsea’s interest in Bertrand is further complicated by their desire to sign Southampton centre-half Virgil van Dijk. Standard Sport first revealed in December the Dutchman was a key target to strengthen central defence.

Liverpool and City have emerged as strong competition for the 25-year-old, who is struggling to play again this season after suffering an ankle injury in January. But Chelsea are confident they will win the race, despite Southampton insisting he is not for sale.

The Blues look certain to win the title this season and return to the Champions League as one of the eight seeds in pot one next term. They go into the home game against Crystal Palace tomorrow with a 10-point lead and are looking to secure their 14th consecutive win at Stamford Bridge in all competitions.

Eden Hazard (calf) and Thibaut Courtois (hip) are available for selection following minor injuries.

...self-approvingly originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Benali: Saints face “tall challenge” to match last season’s finish - but they will squash the Cherries

Show/hide article…

Francis Benali believes Saints will finish higher in the Premier League than neighbours AFC Bournemouth - but accepts it’s now a “tall challenge” to better last season’s record breaking effort.

Ahead of the Cherries’ visit to St Mary’s tomorrow, Saints legend Benali has backed Claude Puel’s men to seal a top 10 finish.

That would leave Bournemouth having to record by far their best finish in English football to trump Saints.

The teams are locked on 33 points apiece heading into tomorrow’s meeting – although Saints have two games in hand on the Dorset outfit.

“Bournemouth are comfortably away from [relegation] trouble and will look to put more points on the board to make certain of that,” Benali said.

"There are a lot of other sides struggling who would love to swap places with them.

"I’m confident they will do well and stay up. They were on a bit of a sticky run at one point and have done well to turn it around.

"It’s good to fly the flag for the south coast by having the two teams in the league.

“Naturally, I have a bias but I think Southampton will just pip Bournemouth in the final table.”

Benali views another sixth place finish for Saints as a big ask.

“I’ve said from the beginning of the season that a top 10 finish would be far from a disgrace for Southampton,” he added.

"They have been incredible, year on year, over recent seasons. Bettering sixth is a tall challenge.

“A top 10 finish would be decent and my expectations are that Southampton will achieve that.”

Since the Cherries’ arrival into the Premier League last term there has been talk - mainly when this fixture comes around - over whether there is a rivalry between the teams or not.

Benali believes - like many from the Saints end - that there is not one, but wouldn’t rule it out in the future.

He said: "I wouldn’t call it a rivalry anywhere near the lines of Southampton-Portsmouth. There is such a long, historical rivalry with Portsmouth which just seems to be ingrained.

"I think there has been extremely good relations between Saints and Bournemouth over the years. I remember a number of times during my career coming down and playing in either a fundraising game or a testimonial.

"In my eyes, Saints-Bournemouth isn’t a rivalry but, naturally, given the geographical locations of both clubs I understand why some people would bill it as that.

"Playing each other more regularly will naturally build rivalry and I see no reason why the clubs can’t continue that for many years.

"It’s good to have these games to play, as long as things don’t boil over into anything stupid, particularly off the pitch.

“There is always going to be that competitiveness on the pitch. That goes without saying. A fixture where there is a rivalry adds spice and I can certainly see that being healthy for both clubs in the future.”

...splendidly moulded by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Get the view from the opposition camp ahead of #SaintsFC’s clash with #AFCB: http://sfcne.ws/OppoViewAFCBH

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 2

...uniformly formed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Puel: They’ve been fantastic

Show/hide article…

Claude Puel has praised the backing his side has received in recent weeks ahead of a return to St Mary’s to face AFC Bournemouth in the Premier League.

The home fixture is a first in almost two months, and Puel is hoping to reward Saints fans with a victory.

Puel said: “We played away every time of late and perhaps Wembley it was not away because the fans made it like a home game.

“It was a fantastic day without the result of course which was most important but we had a great feeling with the supporters.

“To come back and play at home it’s important for them and for us.

He added: “It’s an important game for us and for our fans, we know this. It’s difficult to prepare for this game after the international break because we have had 15 international players.

“We cannot work during these two weeks but this is the same for all the teams. We now have maintain a good motivation and we have three important games in a week.”

...flummoxedly instantiated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Southampton’s Virgil van Dijk prefers Chelsea switch this summer

Show/hide article…

Virgil van Dijk would prefer a move to Chelsea over Manchester City this summer, with the Southampton star set for a move to a top-four side.

Although no deal is yet done, Sportsmail understands the Dutch centre back would like to live in London over the North West if he leaves St Mary’s this year.

The 25-year-old is currently injured and unlikely to return before the end of the season, meaning he could have played his last game in a Southampton shirt.

Van Dijk posted a video of his recovery to Instagram on Friday, showing him riding a bike alongside the caption: ‘Hard work never stops’

There was a pair of crutches in the background, giving a further reminder that he is surely still some way off a return to the pitch.

There is still some interest in the defender from Manchester City and Liverpool, while Everton have also enquired, but Van Dijk is leaning towards champions-elect Chelsea.

Antonio Conte’s side are also set to bring back Andreas Christensen from his loan spell at Borussia Monchengladbach, meaning the fight for a centre-back place could be tougher than ever.

Kurt Zouma could well be sent out temporarily, while the future of club legend John Terry is still up in the air.

...earsplittingly fabricated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 31/03/2017 14:43:00

| | Southampton FC defender has 'everything you need to make it to the top’WALSALLADV |
| | CLUBCALL |
|

| Southampton v Bournemouth Prediction, Betting Tips & Live Stream Info | SportslensSPORTSLENS |
| | Saints target considers new contract - Sport in a StormSPORTINASTORM |
| | Gallas’ surprise response to question on Van DijkFOOTBALLLONDON |
| | Cherries wait on Fraser fitness - Sport in a StormSPORTINASTORM |

...pointedly forged by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Read Southampton

| Gabbiadini set for swift return | Manolo Gabbiadini’s agent Silvio Pagliari has insisted that his client will be back and raring to go for Southampton … 31-03-2017 |

Older content…

| Chelsea want to re-sign Ryan Bertrand this summer14 hours ago |
| Southampton vs Bournemouth: Predicting the Saints14 hours ago |
| Predicted Opposition XI: Bournemouth (H)14 hours ago |
| Last time out - Southampton vs Bournemouth14 hours ago |
| Chelsea confident of Van Dijk signing14 hours ago |
| Southampton team news: Bournemouth (H)2 days ago |

...intoxicatedly thrown together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:newspaper: Claude Puel has lauded the backing from #SaintsFC fans ahead of a return to St Mary’s to face #AFCB: http://sfcne.ws/CPFansAFCB

Favourites: 3

...vociferously instigated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Southampton v Bournemouth: Team news, kick-off time, odds and stats

Show/hide article…

Ahead of this weekend’s Premier League action, Sportsmail will be providing you with all you need to know about every fixture, with team news, provisional squads, betting odds and Opta stats. Here is all the information you need for Southampton’s home clash with Bournemouth.

Martin Caceres could make his Southampton debut at home to Bournemouth after being declared fit for the first time.

The defender recently arrived as a free agent and will vie with Maya Yoshida and Jack Stephens for selection in central defence, with long-term absentee Virgil van Dijk still out of action.

Shane Long and Jay Rodriguez are in contention to start up front after Manolo Gabbiadini, because of a groin injury, joined Charlie Austin - who has an injured shoulder - on the sidelines.

Bournemouth will check on the fitness of midfielder Ryan Fraser (hamstring) ahead of the Premier League match against Southampton.

Winger Junior Stanislas (groin) and midfielder Harry Arter (calf) both missed the win over Swansea before the international break, but are expected to be available, while French forward Lys Mousset has been carrying a hamstring problem.

Defender Tyrone Mings continues to serve his five-match suspension for a stamp on Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Forward Callum Wilson, goalkeeper Adam Federici and defender Rhoys Wiggins all continue their recoveries from knee injuries.

Southampton have won two of their three Premier League games against their south coast rivals Bournemouth (L1).

The Cherries have never won an away match at Southampton in any competition (D4 L8).

Saints have won each of their last three meetings at home to Bournemouth by a 2-0 scoreline, twice in the Premier League and once in the League Cup.

Jay Rodriguez scored twice in Southampton’s 3-1 win over Bournemouth in December – half of his Premier League season tally (4 in 16 apps).

Josh King has eight goals and one assist in his last eight Premier League appearances for Bournemouth.

Southampton have named the same starting XI in their last three Premier League games – they haven’t done this for four successive league matches since a run of five matches in November-December 2012.

33 points is Southampton’s lowest points tally in a Premier League season after 27 games since 2012-13 (27). At this stage last season they’d won 40 points, in 2014-15 it was 46 points and in 2013-14 they had 39 points.

Bournemouth have been awarded a league-high nine penalties in the Premier League this season.

There have been five penalties missed in games involving Bournemouth this season (of 14 taken); more than any other team. Bournemouth have missed two of these, their opponents have missed three.

Bournemouth have conceded 31 goals in 14 away games this season in the Premier League (2.2 per game) – 21 of which have come in their last eight on the road in the competition.

...fashionably produced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

“I think it will be a good challenge.”

Craig Fleming previews #SaintsFCU18s’ clash with #NUFC in the #U18PL: http://sfcne.ws/U18NUFCPreview

Favourites: 8

...tactfully engineered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Read Southampton

| The Saints side that hit Wolves for six: Where are they now? | On this day ten years ago, Southampton produced a ruthless display of attacking football as they smashed Wolves 6-0 … 31-03-2017 |

Older content…

| Gabbiadini set for swift return15 hours ago |
| Chelsea want to re-sign Ryan Bertrand this summer15 hours ago |
| Southampton vs Bournemouth: Predicting the Saints15 hours ago |
| Predicted Opposition XI: Bournemouth (H)15 hours ago |
| Last time out - Southampton vs Bournemouth15 hours ago |
| Chelsea confident of Van Dijk signing15 hours ago |

...dignifiedly manufactured by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from ESPN FC article

Sofiane Boufal struggles but Southampton fans must keep the faith

Show/hide article…

When Sofiane Boufal lit up a drab EFL Cup tie against Sunderland with a stunning individual goal, there was a sense Southampton had found the next African superstar to take the Premier League by storm.

As the-then recently arrived club record signing plucked the ball beautifully from the sky before curling a thunderous strike into the top corner, St Mary’s rose as one to welcome their new hero.

The home fans poured onto the streets purring at Boufal’s brilliance and licking their lips at the prospect of what was to come from the former Lille winger.

Sadly for the mercurial Moroccan, that moment of magic remains a rare highlight in a season of unfulfilled promise, which has led to criticism from the stands and claims from manager Claude Puel the 23-year-old is suffering a confidence crisis.

Boufal’s limp display after coming on as substitute in the 2-1 defeat at Tottenham prior to the international break was the last straw for some supporters, many of whom vented their spleen on social media.

But it is far too early to write off the most expensive purchase in Southampton’s history as £21m dud, who cannot cut it in England.

Boufal has admitted he has struggled to come to terms with Premier League, telling reporters in his homeland he does not get the same protection from referees he was afforded in France.

He will not be the first or last foreign import who finds it hard to deal with the physical nature of the most demanding league in Europe. After all there are not too many Wes Morgan-type defenders plying their trade in Ligue 1.

Nor is Boufal alone in arriving from foreign shores with a big-money price tag, which inevitably comes with high expectations, and failing to deliver in their maiden season.

Even the great Cristiano Ronaldo was branded a show pony by some observers in his early weeks at Manchester United.

It is also worth remembering that when Boufal made the move across the Channel in August he was still recovering from the knee problem that had forced him to miss the back end of last season and delayed his debut until October.

Then, just as he was trying to get a foothold in the team, he was whisked away for international duty at the African Nations Cup, a tournament in which his participation was cut short by a fresh injury.

Those injury disruptions seem to have dented Boufal’s self-belief, prompting Puel’s comments over his mental state at his news conference ahead of Saturday’s game at home to south coast neighbours Bournemouth.

But Puel remains convinced Boufal has the potential and all the raw ingredients to become one of the world’s elite players and that is why he is standing by his man.

The French coach has experience of dealing with so-called troubled players and his arm around the shoulder technique helped revive Newcastle reject Hatem Ben Arfa’s career at Nice last season.

He will be hoping that by publicly backing Boufal, the fans will do likewise and that will give him the freedom to express his undoubted talents.

The absence of in-form Italian hit-man Manolo Gabbiadini due to injuryagainst Bournemouth could give Boufal the chance to finally take centre stage.

It is likely though that Shane Long or Jay Rodriguez will be called upon instead, with Boufal once again an expensive onlooker from the bench.

But if he does get on towards the end of the game, getting on his back is the worst thing the home faithful can do, as Puel would no doubt be quick to point out.

Alex Crook is ESPN FC’s Southampton blogger. Follow him on Twitter @alex_crook

...straight-facedly begot by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

End of season sale launches

Show/hide article…

A huge range of fantastic offers are now available online, as well as in both the Stadium and Westquay stores.

Supporters can now benefit from:

• 50 per cent off all home and away kits

• 50 per cent off all Under Armour training wear

• Up to 50 per cent off hundreds of other products

Please note that these offers remain subject to availability, while stocks last, and will run for a limited time only.

No further discounts will apply.

Visit store.saintsfc.co.uk now, or visit us in store, and make sure you pick up a great bargain.

...repellently made by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!