Proposed change regarding Monkey Tennis

I loved Deadwood. Some of the dialogue is beautiful.

Hey Bletch, I know you’re just joking, and I’m fine with that that so long as you don’t mind me calling you a cock in return! I don’t for a minute think you mean it. But what bugs me, is I take all these jokes on the chin, but then when I make jokes or tongue in cheek comments myself (of which 99% of my posts are) people take them seriously or make out I’m like this or that.

I voted front and central, not because I think it should be front and central, but because I don’t think it should be hidden (censored). As there wasn’t a cateogory for my opinion, I instead did a protest vote.

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

I make jokes or tongue in cheek comments myself (of which 99% of my posts are) people take them seriously or make out I’m like this or that.

OK, here is your chance to tell us who you really are. From the two ladies in the shower scene from Orange is the New Black, which are you most like? The protagonist, or the drug dealer? :smile:

It’s not fair to ask you that without answering a similar question myself. Between Hercules and sampson? I’m probably more of a Sampson.

Out of order to call bletch a cock! What is wrong with you? You’re one of those people that it’s all fun and jokes, and then suddenly turn nasty, like a rotweiller.

2 Likes

Er, can you tell us some of the best jokes that rotweillers tell?

1 Like

Gimme a minute, I refuse to google this, I’m gonna make up an Original Dog Joke.

No, I’ve got nothing.

oh wait, did you hear bout the dog that bummed next door’s cat? Purrvert.

Soz.

1 Like

Front and centre for me, perhaps with some sort of warning.

Some excellent points made above, btw.

Lou,

a) I am a cock
b) If it helps, I don’t take you seriously at all

To switch gears and be a little serious now, how do you feel about the male chauvinistic attitude in the Monkey Tennis forum?

I ask because I see the position you’re taking (MT front and centre) as accepting that you’ll find content you don’t like in Monkey Tennis and in the main timeline.

I’m going to make you blush now, because in the conversation pap and I had about this, I cited you as dealing with the situation well and that perhaps this should be the model for others. i.e. If something crosses the line, you down vote, debate and then finally inform someone that you’re withdrawing your approval. Because you’re chromosomes are held in high-esteem in these parts, the withdrawal of your approval counts for something, and I often (not always) see ‘offenders’ modifying their behaviour.

This is a good thing. But, if the ‘offenders’ don’t modify their behaviour, and we’ve (pap has) decided that it’s OK for Monkey Tennis to have the sort of content that will occasionally offend, then, surely we’ll just have to shrug philosophically and accept it?

How does that feel to you?

P.S. You still get more up-votes than me because you’re a toss-target for some of our members. You could comment on the weather and the next thing you know, you’ll have 15 up-votes for “Lovely day today! x”

No I’m not bitter, and I know that you will ask for proof of this, but I’m still putting together a dossier to prove it.

Watch this space.

1 Like

It’s also worth bearing in mind that the site is bound to be a bit monkey tennis heavy at the moment as there is no football to talk about. Unless you want to bitch and moan about who we are selling/buying.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @saintbletch

To switch gears and be a little serious now, how do you feel about the male chauvinistic attitude in the Monkey Tennis forum?

I ask because I see the position you’re taking (MT front and centre) as accepting that you’ll find content you don’t like in Monkey Tennis and in the main timeline.

I’m going to make you blush now, because in the conversation pap and I had about this, I cited you as dealing with the situation well and that perhaps this should be the model for others. i.e. If something crosses the line, you down vote, debate and then finally inform someone that you’re withdrawing your approval. Because you’re chromosomes are held in high-esteem in these parts, the withdrawal of your approval counts for something, and I often (not always) see ‘offenders’ modifying their behaviour.

This is a good thing. But, if the ‘offenders’ don’t modify their behaviour, and we’ve (pap has) decided that it’s OK for Monkey Tennis to have the sort of content that will occasionally offend, then, surely we’ll just have to shrug philosophically and accept it?

How does that feel to you?

P.S. You still get more up-votes than me because you’re a toss-target for some of our members. You could comment on the weather and the next thing you know, you’ll have 15 up-votes for “Lovely day today! x”

No I’m not bitter, and I know that you will ask for proof of this, but I’m still putting together a dossier to prove it.

Watch this space.

Hi Bletch,

Thanks for asking me the question, and treating me with respect by doing so. I can give you my perspective, not sure if it will have much logic to it.

For me this isn’t a question of taking offence or not taking offence (when the conversation starts at this point, there will never be right or wrong answers). This is more a question about: do I want to spend time in this environment, and what kind of people do you want here to make this a more interesting place.

I’ve had a few moments, where I’ve thought this (and I’m including TMS) isn’t the place for me, and mostly it’s when either someone gets nasty because of people paying me too much attention (and the nastiness is always directed at me, the female. Funny that), or when there are too many naked pictures of women. I don’t mind naked pictures of women, it’s just that I don’t feel at home in an environment with lots of men I don’t know, ogling naked women (I’m not moralising here). Aside from the fact it excludes me from the conversation. Take the current thread on TMS at the moment about badgers. The tone of it is just gross, and I don’t know why the mods let that sort of stuff go. I’m also not that keen on discussions on women’s bodies, or ‘would you’ type debates. Feels way too personal even though it’s not about me. If this site was 90% this kind of stuff, I wouldn’t hang around. But I don’t think it is.

What’s different, I think are jokes and ‘banter’. I know the characters here enough to know when people are joking. A gif thats funny is different than a pic to ogle.

The sexist comments I sort of see differently, because I think most of them are (failed) attempts to wind me up. I don’t think anyone on here is really sexist. I think some of the stuff I say takes it to an extreme, but I think there’s an important conversation to be had, and it’s a fascinating and very relevant one. I also think you have to tell people when you think they’re out of order, otherwise, how will they know. Or ever see things from a different point of view.

I felt quite defensive of you boys when Pap’s friend criticised the group for too much piss take and sexist comments, because I thought it was harsh, and she hadn’t given you all a chance. But I can also imagine if I came to this forum new, I’d be a bit ‘what the fuck?!’

So I don’t think Monkey Tennis should be hidden, I think that’s fundamentally wrong. I just think this forum would benefit from having more women, more variety, and if you want that to happen, people will need to be a bit more aware of how some of this stuff comes across. If you want to carry on being an all boys club, then you’re probably going the right way about it.

That said, I also think a new woman to this forum would probably also find my posting pretty annoying, so it’s one for me to watch out for too.

4 Likes

PS. Thanks also for making me feel valued, just when I was doubting it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have thought this myself, but then, it’s also close season, and it’s only a couple of the promoted clubs doing serious business at the moment. Even talkSPORT is wall to wall FIFA are shit at the moment. I hear ya though, Goatboy. I’ll see about taking a couple of actions, including twisting the arms of some more football focused people.

don’t be that way, lou. How many times do we have to say we love you, before you believe it? We could hardly be more fond of you, even if you were a bro!

3 Likes

Self protection Bearsy - I don’t dare take anything you say seriously!

The above encapsulates why I hope, and believe, that this place will be a success.

Great stuff, Bletch and Lou!

… and well done Bear on Chapter 2!

No body can ever say that this place doesn’t cover a wide range of bases!

2 Likes

1 Like