Saints v Inter Milan - Build Up And Matchday Thread

:lou_lol: :lou_lol: :lou_lol: I don’t know if I can add anything that’s not already been said.

…but I will. The goal-line official at The Chapel end showed what he was really there for…just before the whistle to start the second half…he checked the goal nets were securely attached…he played a blinder.

Sorry I mean he played like a blind man…along with all the other officials.

2 Likes

Martina IS a good RB.

He is also broken at the moment. We’ve run him into the ground.

As a squad player, he is all we need but he is the one player who has not been subbed or rotated for weeks and it shows. That is bad luck we signed Pied but lost him to injury and let’s face it, get real, what do you prefer a worn out Martina or Maya at RB?

4 Likes

11 Likes

Poor Martina looked knackered at the end, as if he was running through treacle. He didn’t want the ball at all in the last 10 minutes. He needs a rest.

2 Likes

Fair point.

Originally posted by @Goatboy

We beat Inter Milan.

Their goal: VVD was fouled. Martina should have cleared it. Forster was slow to get down.

Icardi is a grizzling fucking cunt who can fuck off.

We huffed and puffed in the first half but didn’t make many clear cut chances. J-Rod curled one just over, Redmond sliced one wide.

Can we now put the Tadic on penalty duty to bed. Even the ones he’s scored have been shit penalties. It wasn’t a penalty anyway.

At this point the ref completely lost control. Top gamesmanship from the whinging mama’s boys. In general the ref was abysmal all evening but I’m getting used to that being the case.

Second half was a different story. Austin came on and we suddenly looked much more threatening.

VVD grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and hauled us back into the game.

A lovely run, feint and shot from Hojbjerg led to a corner and Virgil slotted home after Romeu’s deft flick came back off the bar.

A frankly hilarious own goal gifts us the lead and job done.

Enjoyed our time wasting at the end. In a hurry now are we Giuseppe?

My ratings:

Forster 6: Struggled for their goal, some wayward kicking but redeemed himself towards the end of the game with a smart save from Icardi after a horror pass from Romeu.

Martina 4: He is shit. Yes he can run a bit and his crossing isn’t bad but positionally he is all over the place and last night he was not as progressive as usual. Hurry up See-Saws. This is where I would strengthen in January.

Yoshida 9: Excellent, fault free game from Yoshi. Best third choice center back we could hope for. Better than Fonte this season imho.

VVD 10: MOTM. Awesome. Best player on the pitch by a country mile. I’d fuck him.

McQueen 8: Didn’t put a foot wrong and gets better with every game. Ahead of Targett for me and pushing the excellent Bertrand. Happy days.

Romeu 8: That horror pass aside he had another solid night. His performances of late have been the backbone of a good run of results. Nice effort leading up to our opener and unlucky with a deflected shot in the first half.

Hojbjerg 7: Aggressive, good on the ball and a good passer. Would like to see him being a bit more dynamic and get forward quicker but he wins us a good deal of possession and I would start him whenever possible. More to come from him I reckon.

JWP 9: brilliant in the second half. Worked tirelessly and really gave us some momentum. Loving his new combative streak. Rightly booked but got their cunt booked too. Unlucky not to score. Top work.

Redmond 8: Also unlucky not to score after cutting in from the left after about 80 mins. and curling a right footer just wide. Works his socks off and is a constant threat. Once he finds his scoring boots he is going to be awesome.

Tadic 7: Not his best game and for fucks sake don’t ever let him near another penalty. Didn’t get him on the ball enough in the first half and when we did he was fouled by the cheating Italian bastards.

J-Rod 5: Not at the races still. As a friend of mine pointed out, he’s like the car that you should have traded in last year but you thought you’d be able to squeeze a few more miles out of. It’ll end up being scrapped for fuck all. Shame.

subs:

Austin 7: gave us a focal point and changed the momentum of the game without doing too much. Gets caught offside too often.

Davis 6: came on for Tadic to add a bit more energy for the last 15. Job done.

We beat Inter Milan.

:lou_lol:

Can’t disagree with a lot of that, will scan better later when I’m not running between meetings like a blue arsed fly.

However Hojbjerg’s passing in the second half was not the expected standard, Numerous times he left our players short or gave the ball back to an Inter player.

In fact the whole team were up to it, we were almost the authors of our own downfall.

A fit player. And Maya vs Sunderland and vs Inter x 2 was impressive.

1 Like

This is the thing, I have no fucking luck, I am down in the moring but we’re at Hull on Sunday away! I couldn’t have come down yesterday due to work, its only going to get harder when the baby arrives in a month, very difficult indeed.

Actually I have always been a fan of Yoshida. WHEN HE PLAYS CB.

He simply is not a RB and I don’t like to see him wasted there. Maya is probably a beter Squad CB than any Squad Cover defender at say Man Utd.

:lou_sunglasses:

3 Likes

Some thoughts

There was a guy behind me last night who was ultra negative on anything a Saints player did wrong.

He was castiagting Yosh and Martina for most of the first half, the abuse Austin got in the second half when he came on was amazing as well.

Why does this sort of “fan” go to a football match.

I feel sorry for J-Rod, he just seems to have lost it. He was static last night and didn’t really add anything to the team. Austin replacing him made a world of difference as he was pulling players all over the place making gaps and the suchlike.

We were too static at points last night and, as mentioned earlier, were too often the architects of our own doom. Misplace passes, underhit passes from no real pressure.

McQueen just keeps growing in stature, expect him to be sold to Liverpool/Chelsea/Man United/Tottenham in the Summer

Martina needs a rest.

As I have said repeatedly over the years Yoshi is a more than competent Centre Back.

van Dijk is a monster! Did he sign a new 5 year contract recently, I hope he honours it. I hope we can give him the reasons to be able to honour it.

Romeu is easily getting better than Wanyama (who?).

3 Likes

Report from Joe.co.uk, what’s the Goats twitter handle??

Originally posted by BTripz

There was a guy behind me last night who was ultra negative on anything a Saints player did wrong.

He was castiagting Yosh and Martina for most of the first half, the abuse Austin got in the second half when he came on was amazing as well.

Why does this sort of “fan” go to a football match.

Couldn’t agree more. Does my head in. This is one of the upsides of sitting in the family bit in the Chapel, there are far fewer who jump on the players backs than in, say, the Itchen South from where I had the misfortune to watch the Sunderland Milk Cup match. That said, for evening games it does tend to be a bit different in there for obvious reasons.

Support your bloody team!

1 Like

It’s time we listened to this again…

2 Likes

We beat Inter Milan , and if there was any sense it would have been twice.

In the shitstorm of crap going on in the world this is a shining and glorious thing. So so proud.

The fans last night were phenominal - watching the stream with 15 to go OWTSGMI was probably the loudest I’ve ever heard it.

Probably the thing I’m most proud of is the way we’ve done it, chuffed to bits for Sam McQueen and JWP, both had great games.

I hope moments like this will keep our players focussed on our potential when Liverpool inevitably come sniffin’ around

2 Likes

Having a bit of celebration on social media.

#saintsfc vs Inter. Goatboy’s match report, ratings and bad language :smiley: facebook.com/sotonians/post…

4 Likes

If we go through is it draw to see who we play next, or is it already decided like world cup where winner of group A players runner up group D or whatever?

Feels unnatural somehow to be Southampton fan taking interest in european competition regulations, ain’t it.

1 Like

I quite like that, it is catchiness. Do they play it at Stadium?

I can’t help thinking though, that they’ve seen me dance, and are mocking me somehow.

Surely you only dance like that when you pull the chip fryer out too quickly and drop hot oil on yourself!!

1 Like

godammit