Saints v Norwich

Originally posted by @Fatso

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Originally posted by @Halo-Stickman

Wake up Lou, it’s lonely on this thread all by myself :slight_frown:

Sorry to let you down, Halo, but even moving my finger towards to login button was too much effort :frowning:

Dirty

LOL! Good effort Fatso.

1 Like

@samcunningham: Koeman: ‘It’s good for Victor to talk to Morgan. Because Morgan I think is more happy now than he was last year.’ #saintsfc

Good one Ronald!

1 Like

Koeman’s post match interview:

1 Like

Apparent ITK SWFer, Monk, is reporting that Mane has told Saints that he is happy to stay with us.

While it was a great performance and all that, are we glossing over the fact that Mane gave the ball away a hundred times in the first half and veers from brilliant to clueless quite regularly?

That aside, the meltdown has been cancelled again.

He did give the ball away but at the same time he is pacy, tricky, positive and always looks to make things happen…if he gives the ball away from time to time then I guess we need to put up with that. I’d rather he gave the ball away whilst trying to make things happen than pass sideways.

2 Likes

A couple of his passes gave the ball away, but for a little more luck or speed by those on the receiving end might have been incisive and defence splitting.

I agree that in some respects, he is a bit of a luxury. However, it would be madness to leave him out of the side. Don’t forget, he was involved in all three goals, two of them being assists.

Mane was frustrating at times in the first half - I also think he has been well below his best so far this season - but he brings something very different to the table, and I think he must be a nightmare for defenders when he’s on his game.

If he’s still here on Sept 2, then he’ll be more settled, imo, and I’m really expecting him to set the Prem on fire.

1 Like

Huge relief to get our first win. Romeu MOTM…looks so much like Spiderman in style and execution, it gives you a warm glow. Koeman unequivocal that Wanyama is going nowhere so the choice is down to him…knuckle down and play in the first team or sit on your hands for a season.

Good to meet his Papship, Goat and Ant outside The Chapel and sorry for boring you on the finer points of British Cartography. :wink:

3 Likes

Everything is better

Everything is better…but…

It was Norwich, and for much of the match it was a 10-man Norwich.

That said, even against 11 we looked much better. Pressing the ball further up the pitch, closing down everywhere. Really pleased with what I saw today.

I think Goatster has gone from reading my mind musically to reading my mind with his match ratings. So not much more for me to add, except to stress that JWP in more of a CM truly surprised me. He was excellent today.

But, it was Norwich…

Don’t ruin the illusion, Bletch.

Maybe I should have said everything feels better.

I like Targett and he’ll develop into a better player for the inconsistency he has shown so far this season but having Bertrand back will make a huge difference. Too early to say what Clasie will bring obviously but if he’s as good as Romeu (on today’s performance) then we will have reinvested well.

Another quality CB clearly needed though.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @saintbletch

But, it was Norwich…

Yeah. That fact was never lost on me either. I simply decided to gloss over that for the sake of my own happiness. I tell myself that it’s confidence and spirit building that comes from a win is what really counts…And all the time I’m thinking that, I’m chewing my nails and rocking back and forth in my chair.

No easy game in the premier league. We had Palace beating Chelsea and West Ham beating Liverpool. Does not matter who you are playing and how many men you are playing against. I have seen us draw and even lose against lesser teams, with ten men!

We controlled that game and bossed it from start to finish.

5 Likes

In short, after our start to the season, I’m just glad we beat fucking anyone!!! :laughing:

We are slow starters.

We drew 0-0 at home to WBA last season at home… I seem to remember everyone having a bit of a panic then.

Then we went 1-0 to West Ham at half time. We went on to win 1-3. We followed this by stuffing Newcastle 4-0 at home. We will be fine top 8 for me.

The footballing side of things has been adequately covered by our intrepid reporters, so a word or two about the match day experience. Norwich fans are weird. They spent the vast majority of the game sitting down, yet didn’t exit the stadium Aston Villa-like when they went 3-0 down.

Were they any fucking good or not?

I seem to remember a home match against Derby, one season they scored and they only seemed to clap, not cheer. It was very surreal.

They are the most family club I know of, which is really strange these days and even more so in the premier league!

Was happy with the result, watchng it again now, was pleased with some of the passing and the quicker flow, link does still concern but I hope that will come with time, we will rely heavily on Mane and Pelle as goals elsewhere could be a struggle,for the longterm, yes Tadic got two but it was against 10 men, time will tell but I think we’ll possibly or hopefully get VVD and a midfielder which we need. Good result but we haven’t learnt too much as they were down to 10 men.

Video version of the press conference.

2 Likes