Saints vs Gooners - Cup Run mk 2

The team pretty much picks itself at the moment due to the injuries. As I was only a player or two out in my previous line up prediction I’m gunna give it another go…

Lewis

Martina Stephens Yoshida McQueen

Clasie Reed* Hojbjerg

Sims Long Redmond**

* Harrison, not Les. Although HR keeps getting dragged off early when he does get a shirt so perhaps Claude isn’t that keen. So Romeu could play instead.

** Or possibly Tadic. Speaking of Redmond… the first half against Liverpool was EASILY the best I have ever seen Redmond play. For me, that is his strength, running at defenders making them commit and then nipping past them. Old school winger style, get to the by line and cut it back. If his team mates were’nt such numpties in front of goal then he’d have got two assists.

The fact that I know he can do that, essentially explains why a lot of fans (me especially) have given him a lot of shit. He is capable but just doesn’t do it enough. Maybe this is a new dawn for him though…

3 Likes

Originally posted by @BTripz

Nouvelles de blessure de la bouche de cheval

Virgil van Dijk missed the EFL Cup semi-final success over Liverpool, and is likely to miss out again as the extent of his ankle injury continues to be assessed.

Puel said: “We have a lot of injuries. Still we are without Austin, Targett, McCarthy, Pied, and other injuries with van Dijk, Hesketh.

“Also with Jay Rodriguez and James Ward-Prowse not available it is almost a full team.

“We have possibilities with other players and the rotation since the beginning of the season allows to continue the work and to keep good results.”

Is this suggesting that Boufal may be available?? No mention of him.

I thought McCarthy had pulled a hamstring? He has been out for months and months now. To the glue factory for you Alex.

NYS, you could also say that the players who would normally have been sitting on the bench or not even in the squad have had game time and are not coming into the side cold.

2 Likes

Wow, the idea of an inexperienced Stephens next to the dog-shit-wobbly-legged-defending style of Martina fills me with dread! I DO NOT LIKE THAT IDEA.

Funny enough this is not the thing that worries me most about Martina, I am constantly frustrated with his complete lack of ability to take the ball past anyone, or even get in good positions to receive a forward ball, our attacking force down the right is massively reduced when he plays :lou_sad:

1 Like

Ah, but what size is the injury list as a percent of the number of players played!!

According to physioroom.com we have 9 injured players, 1 less than Sunderland and the same as Hull and Palace.

That inlcudes Pied who was injured pre-season, Boufal who was injured training etc. etc. so overall I don’t think it’s that bad.

| Player J RodriguezJ Rodriguez | Ankle Injury | | No Return Date | Slight Doubt |
| J Ward-Prowse | Chest Injury | | No Return Date | Slight Doubt |
| V van Dijk | Ankle Injury | | No Return Date | Major Doubt |
| S Boufal | Knee Injury | | January 31, 2017 | |
| C Austin | Shoulder Injury | | April 1, 2017 | |
| A McCarthy | Hamstring Injury | | No Return Date | Major Doubt |
| M Targett | Hamstring Injury | | March 18, 2017 | |
| J Hesketh | Ankle Injury | | January 31, 2017 | Major Doubt |
| J Pied | ACL Knee Injury | | June 1, 2017 |

I totally agree. The attacking impetus is so much more noticeable when Cedric plays. I just can’t see him playing a third game in 6 days. Not with Claude! I used to think exactly the same about Targett when he played instead of Bertrand. Less noticeable now as McQueen is quicker than Targett and shows more intent going forward.

2 Likes

Didn’t McQueen start out as a winger? Would defo explain why he is more confident going forward, and safe to say he’s our 2nd choice left back now.

2 Likes

I’d like to see the kids get a run out in this one.

McQueen should have a go.

6 Likes

Welcome Saint_colin!

1 Like

I want a cup double please.

2 Likes

I’d go along with that, Sims too, looks like Stevens will get another chance through lack of other options.

1 Like

Welcome to the site mate

Just so you know Goat up voted you, so a word to the wise, if McQueen gets a go and it goes tits up, then Goat won’t be happy…Just don’t accept lifts from strange men with unmarked vans.

Thought you should know.

:lou_wink:

3 Likes

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Welcome Saint_colin!

Cheers,mate

Sorry mate I don’t know what this means?

1 Like

But cheers for the welcome. Nice place

4 Likes

Ahhh, an innocent. He likes them best of all…

Just joshing you…Don’t worry, stick around and it’ll all become clear…eventually

Basically Goatboy will chop you up and feed you to his wife. Jack Schitt suffered that demise and then we got fed some cock and bull story about how we were mean and he ran away.

6 Likes

Who said it was unmarked?

Hiding in plain sight :lou_wink_2:

4 Likes

My search history :lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like