Should the Old Firm do business in England?

Just what we need - two more Manchester Uniteds (well, close - if they get PL type cash)

There are already enough clubs with larger fanbases than us in the league - two more will make it even more difficult to win anything

There’ll be two empty slots in the Scottish Prem tho. Worth a punt?

2 Likes

Moving them to the moneybags league would cut them off as our feeder clubs. Certainly not in our interest.

Champions league every year. Sounds good

1 Like

Its a no from me. If we are going to take in new teams can we take Real Madrid and Barcelona please?

So who benefits?

With all these sort of things my first thought is “show me the money” and you’ll see who is going to benefit.

I’m pretty certain that it won’t be the fans.

Aye but Liverpool dont Fly Ulster flags, or sing songs about being knee deep in ‘Fenian blood’…

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

Aye but Liverpool dont Fly Ulster flags, or sing songs about being knee deep in ‘Fenian blood’…

Liverpool was once known as the last sectarian city in England. Sectarian violence continued into the 1970s. Almost completely gone now.

Importantly, the success of the city’s two football teams, Everton FC and Liverpool FC, gave the city a new focus based upon a healthy sporting rivalry rather than sectarian vehemence. A complex interplay of secularism and ecumenism, the economic misfortunes of Liverpool and their political impact in terms of class politics, the growth of a collective city identity and the omnipotence of (non-religiously derived) football affiliations combined to diminish Liverpool’s once acute sectarian fault-line.

The dissertation that this summary is taken from has a whole chapter called “Everton FC and Liverpool FC: New Gods”. There’s not much written on the decline of sectarianism in the city.

http://repository.liv.ac.uk/2010280/3/RobertsKei_April2015_2010280.pdf

Have we considered what they might think?

Rangers would welcome any help but you’re inviting Celtic to lose their monopoly on Champions’ League money and battle it out with the Notts Forests and Coventrys of this world.

They’ve had a hundred years of winning everything, I’m not sure relegation fights with Sunderland and Burnley are on their agenda right now.

If you take them, then the invite should go out to any British team. Maybe the answer is to go back to regionalisation for div 1 and below. Not sure how promotion works to the championship though.

We could take Berwick Rangers as they are in England

I guess the question that follows would be how would you feel if the so-called “top teams” in the Premier league then get invited into a European League and then left the rest of us to battle it out with the other “also-rans”?

What a fantastic idea that would be

Doesn’t similar happen in reverse when teams get relegated?

I would be arsed if the inevitable European League (the CL is already a stepping stone) ended up being a closed shop like the NFL. As long as we retained some way to allow clubs to move up and down the pyramid I wouldn’t be too bothered.

Pandoras Box

Let them fuckers in and the next thing you know you’ll have franchises and Identity Theft

Probably get some bloody nonentity trying to become #saintsfc or something and having more Twitter Followers than us.

Oh