Southampton v Burnley - Match Thread

Nice touch to get Jay on

:lou_lol:

Jay for number 4 :lou_lol:

Soft, and bang goes the clean sheet.

Bollocks

Sky pundits now talking down our chances of winning ffs

They always try and make you think there is still a game on!

But it’s fucking annoying tbf.

33 shots! Fuck me!

1 Like

Should have been another clean sheet, but had to end at some point. 3 points, next stop Milan!

2 Likes

Wow. Did somebody say there were no easy games in the Prem?

McQueen - fucking great debut

Redmond - deserved his goal

Austin - just a beast of a goalscorer

Romeu - who the fuck is Wanyama?

13 Likes

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

33 shots! Fuck me!

So, 1 goal every 11 shots. We need to pull our act together

:lou_wink:

I’d give Heaton MOM tbf - though McQueen is a close 2nd in my opinion

1 Like

Spot on, TiCK.

Very good. Comfortable win. McQueen was excellent. Good games from Clasie and Romeu. Happy days.

1 Like

that’s a great win. We battered them in the second half. Always in control. Redmond was brilliant, Romeu very good and McQueen had an excellent debut. But they all played well and did their bit. Good job, Saints!

3 Likes

Yeah, good shout. He’s been great the last few games. Lasting the full 90 now too.

1 Like

Comfy win albeit against very weak opposition. Still, the midfield three were outstanding along with Tadic. The GK and back four were solid and really the only issue with the team is perhaps our finishing.

Ideal scenario really. We’ll keep the relegation zone at several arms lengths and can enjoy the cups and Europe with a bit of freedom

Can’t be that harsh on the finishing Mr T, their goalie was exceptional. Spot on about the midfield. As already mentioned “who the fuck is Wanyama” and that’s just thinking about Romeu.

I also think you’ll need to reconsider your views about the league. Top 8 easily(assuming the long season i’m expecting doesn’t bugger us with injuries).

Looking rather nice leading up to the Milan trip. Jay back and Sofiane still to come. Hopefully we’ll get to see his debut on Thursday.

6 Likes

2 for 2 this season :lou_lol:

4 Likes

Originally posted by @TheCholulaKid

Romeu - who the fuck is Wanyama?

I made the mistake of visiting the darkside a month or so back, so I was under the impression that Romeu was a shocking player.

5 Likes

Excellent game all round. Hard to single out individuals as eveyone played well, but delighted to see Redmond finally get off the mark - he’s been playing really well, always looking dangerous, but just lacked that scoring touch. I don’t think he’s going to score shedloads anyway, but with the composure he showed today when taking that chance he’ll be into oduble figures by the end of the season.

As others have said, McQueen had a cracking debut. For the first ten or more minutes after he came on he didn’t touch the ball once; nobody seemed too keen to pass to him and he didn’t have any defending to do either. Then, when he did get a pass he controlled it beuatifully, charged down the wing and sent in a decent cross. And he just got better and better as the game went on. There’s clearly something about Saints and left backs. On that performance I’d put him in ahead of Targett.

Other than that, a very good perfomance. Not sure what their penalty was given for so I’ll have to watch that again - probably several times. Annoying way to end the run of clean sheets though. We’re playing some terrific football; I find we’re better to watch now than we were under Koeman. And would Koeman have put McQueen on the bench, I wonder?

I see from the BBC stats that we had 65% of possession and 34 shots, 14 of which were on target. Some of those were easy saves (long-range efforts straight at the keeper) but Heaton was superb. Not sure just how he kept a few of those out today, but without him Burnley would have been absolutely tonked.

5 Likes

Originally posted by @Fowllyd

Other than that, a very good perfomance. Not sure what their penalty was given for so I’ll have to watch that again - probably several times. Annoying way to end the run of clean sheets though. We’re playing some terrific football; I find we’re better to watch now than we were under Koeman. And would Koeman have put McQueen on the bench, I wonder?

It wasn’t a pen but then neither was ours. They should’ve had one in the first half too.