Southampton vs Swansea match thread

I nominate Rallyboy to take over Mystic Lou’s horoscope thread!

He predicted 3-1 before the game and told us not to even bother leaving the pub!

Well played sir and good to meet you.

3 Likes

More passion; more desire; more energy; more rhythm; more understanding.

Early days, but tempting to claim we’re ‘back’.

Just back from the game…

and a comfortable win. We made Swansea look very ordinary.

Stek: dodgy moment in the first half when he let a shot slip under his body but otherwise pretty sound. No chance with the penalty.

Bertrand: Like he was never away. A real threat going forward (lovely little ball inside to set up Mane’s goal) and solid in defence. His pace is a real asset that helps protect us from counter attacks when Fonte and Virgil get forward for set pieces.

Fonte: I looked at the clock on 37 minutes when he made a good defensive header. That was the first time that I noticed him because…

Virgil: was so fucking good. Bossed Gomis in the first half and Eder in the second. Won absolutely everything in the air, reads the game so well and is calm on the ball. Great run and header for his goal. Awesome. MOTM by a country mile.

Cedric: much more convincing. Looks like a small boy next to our centre backs though!

Big Vic: back to top form for Vic. Best game he’s had this season. Actually made me lol when he got booked for mugging a Swansea player.

Davis: another solid performance. Excellent work rate and didn’t give anything away.

JWP: another good game from JWP. Looks like he has found his best position slightly deeper on the right hand side of midfield. Much more agressive and persistent. Sublime bit of skill bringing down a steepling clearance from Virgil.

Tadic: not sure if he’ll be credited with the goal (looked like a deflected cross to me) but really put in a shift today.

Mane: for a so called flair player or winger I am amazed how much work Mane gets through. Always chasing back and trying to regain possession, wins a shit ton of free kicks and is a box of tricks on the ball. Got his goal and thoroughly deserved it.

Pelle: Not his best game and showed how much pace he lacks when put through near the end but again, put in a real shift, won a fuck load of headers and worked the Swansea centre backs hard.

Subs : Romeu, Rodriguez and Juanmi all did ok without having too much impact.

A much needed win and some real positive signs for the rest of the season.

A much stronger bench than I have become used to and Clasie to return soon.

Happy days!

4 Likes

I’ve been really patient, but finally lost it with the guys next to/behind me today. Virtually every time Tadic’s been involved with play this season they’ve been screaming at him for perceived laziness. I politely pointed out that “that’s our own fucking player”.

One of them even said “I’ll cheer for him when he puts in a shift” when Tadic was subbed. Eh? :scream:

Aside from the fact that that’s bollocks (as Goatboy says, Dusan gave it some today), it also gave me an extra injection of joy when Tadic sort-of scored.

Baz: JWP played and we won comfortably. Confused?!

Great performance as GB as has described, thoroughly deserved win and just a shame about the penalty but overall a cracking afternoon.

1 Like

A very good win against a decent team - don’t reckon Swansea will concede three goals too often this season. Both van Dijk and Cedric had very good games I thought - Cedric handled Montero superbly. Midfield solid and pretty creative and some good finishing as well. Ward-Prowse had a good match too - played in various midfield positions and did well in all of them (just wanted to put that in for Bazza to read!).

I’ll have to watch some of the highlights closely, the penalty decision in particular. The ref was pretty poor I thought – seemed to stop play evey time a player went down and gave him a pleading look, especially if it was a Swansea player. But that’s a minor quibble!

1 Like

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Originally posted by @Bucks

Great performance as GB as has described, thoroughly deserved win and just a shame about the penalty but overall a cracking afternoon.

How you must envy that clock. :zipper_mouth:

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Originally posted by @Bucks

Aha! So you at least admit he had a good game…that’s progress!

How many good games will it take before you admit it’s more than just the inevitability of a broken clock?

Thanks for the great write ups guys - good reads! :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me we look so much better with two “proper” full backs, Not putting any negative waves on young Targett who I think is fine defensively. or Maya who has put in a great shift, just that extra creativity in attacking positions from Cedric & Betrand is so important to us.

Also, we are so much better with only ONE DM. RK brought on Romeu but we lost our spark as a result.

RK wasn’t happy. I won’t criticise him but that extra DM as a sub for Davis (who had another solid game) stopped us bossing them

I agree with the Arabic 'tater I had down here. Bertrand MotM

JWP get’s a load of stick on the Saintsweb forum. He’s a fantastic player.

3 Likes

We made them look ordinary last season, but managed to lose. Great result, as Swansea are a good outfit.

He is a top player and getting better. Not looking forward to January/summer as we will cash in for sure!

Needed a convincing win to get a bit of confidence back. Swansea are very much feted as our the-little-club-that-could rival, so it was nice that the victory came against them. The Welsh team weren’t really at the races on any level, largely nullified by an urgent Wanyama and a much more solid defence. Really though, we were asking questions of Swansea for much of the match, largely without reply.

Extremely pleased to have the second win and get into the top half of the table, particularly now that it looks like the team is starting to finally be working well without Morgan. As Goatboy says, Clasie isn’t even back yet.

VVD is going to be immense for us, btw.

1 Like

Agree with this, except I thought Davis was much more than solid, he was chasing everywhere and closing down so effectively (despite what the Ref thought). Certainly we went downhill after Davis came off.