Storm Desmond

Not easily. They’ve been in power for five years, and stopped a load of flood defence schemes from going through, according to the Lib Dem leader.

Ooh, I didn’t spot this excellent Guardian article reproduced from Monbiot’s site.

Tim Farron has actually expressed delight that some of the anti-flooding initiatives have been cancelled. Liberal Democrat opportunist? Well I never.

Seems there’s a lot of blame to go around at every level, local, national and perhaps international.

Wow!

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Wow!

I agree. Poor crowd.

Originally posted by @Lets-B-Drinking

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Wow!

I agree. Poor crowd.

To be fair, that is not much below normal! 16,000 ground, but lucky to get 3k. But Pap would say opportunity missed, get the Carlisle water polo team going!

On more serious note, the flood defences that were put in place to stop flooding are now keeping the water in the city as the defences are stopping it returning to the river!

I have seen these automatic defences that raise and fall with the height of the water. I know that these were in place in some areas of Cumbria, but we’re still breached as they reach their max height. But get these bigger/taller and then sure when the rivers lower they could be fully lowered to let the water return to the river?

Now more services have to be used to pump the water over the defences that were put in place to stop the flooding… Crazy!

Also I fear the worse as more rain is forecast pretty much solid for a week starting tonight!

Hey it’ll all be alright, you’ve been pledged 50m to help

Just to make Sfcsim feel a little less glum, this was the view from the bottom of Papenoo valley (home to the Goat family Tahitian branch) a week ago. That’s the road you’re looking at, not a river!:

Just got power/internet/phone back.

Fortunately they live at the top of a hill further up the valley so they were cut off but dry!

I hear Cameron is on his way, so all will be fine!

With more parts of the country now being under water, people are starting to look at the cuts to flood defences, while some Northern MPs have stated there is a North South divide when it comes to flood prevention. Cameron is trying to weasel out of it by stating that they spend more money on flood defences in the North than in the South per head of population.

It’s a pretty crappy argument, which falls down when you compare relative population densities and the fact that weather doesn’t actually give a crap who lives where, or how many people live there.

1 Like

Cameron will try and weasel out of everything. With another storm on the way ‘Frank’ everyone are bracing themselves. Terrible scenes all over the north at the moment. Urgent flood defences need to be put in place, which will save millions in the long run, on the clear up funds that are required. All seems a big short sited and reactive rather than proactive!