Sunderland v The Saints - 11th Feb 2017

Originally posted by @cobham-saint

6:1

Not sure who to though…

More likely to be our shot to goal ratio :lou_wink:

2 Likes

That’s all well and good but two more fuck ups and I lose us the cup.

1 Like

Watching the goals against this morning underlined what I though at the time on the first two.

1. Yoshida was in a good position to intecept the pass to Carroll but inexplicably decided not to make it.

2. The shot had a clear path though the defence with Fraser going down in slow motion…like an old man picking-up a Half Crown (one for the kids). It was well within his reach.

The third goal looked it was heading comfortably into Fraser’s arms when Davis got the touch to deflect it.

Can’t take much from that…luck plays a big part in any game but as they say, “you make your own luck” and we ain’t making any.

2 Likes

On the first goal, I also thought that Stephens didn’t get close enough to Carroll; he was the one picking him up and should have been in a position to either put in a tackle or at least make it more diffficult for him. Still not sure that Yoshida oculd have intercepted it (these things can be very deceptive on TV pictures), so I’ll have to look again if I can bear it.

Agree completely on the other two - I was sure the second must have picked up at least one deflection on its way through, but it didn’t. And the third was an own goal, but I don’t know whether it’s been given as that or handed to Noble.

If Barnes Wallis had released goal no.2 he would have abandoned the project there and then.

It was rubbish.

2 Likes

I was watching from behind the goal in The Chapel and it seemed glaringly obvious Yoshida held back his challenge…whether he thought he was past him and he would give away a pen if he challenged…but to my eye he could have made it. :lou_sad:

I think you need to double that Won Ton

:lou_sad:

Claude confirmed that Boufal is injured for this game. Pretty frustrating that he hasnt really got going due to various injuries. Just the one league goal from him so far and we are in February.

I wonder if Bertrand will play at CB in this one. Up against Defoe that would seem sensible.

BIG game that we need to win but at the very least cannot afford to lose.

Come on Saints, pull ya fingers out.

2-0 Sunderland, nothing from previous games in the League gives me any realistic hope of anything, the only bonus of a defeat is Puel is closer to the door and hopefully so will be Reed and Kruegar.

0-8

Saints to win 4-1 - Gobby hattrick, Yoshi howler.

I cannot even consider losing…

2 Likes

I’d start considering it CB Saint as its a distinct possibility.

I’m v.confident that we’ll have more shots on goal than Sunderland.

1 Like

We certainly need to stop the rot.

As we are unable to defend particualrly well at present I would like to see us at long last resort to 4-2-3-1 with a second deep lying midfielder (Clasie probably) alongside Romeu. Give the ropey centre halves a bit more protection.

Surely it would be worth a go because we aren’t exactly sharp at either end right now.

1 Like

You are a little ray of sunshine Barry. You must love it here amongst us happy clappers. Perhaps you would feel more at home over on the Dark Side? No reason we cant win this other than the usual lack of composure in front of goal and lack of concentration at the back! If we play like we did against Bournemouth, Liverpool and Leicester we will win. Big if mind you!

I’m with barry tbf. I expect us to be better than them, or at least a bit better, but I don’t neccessarily expect us to win. It’s been like that All Season rip.

One thing we can be sure of, another defeat and the rants will hit seismic proportions.

I think we will lose. And then I’ll be sad.

1 Like

TV channel sorted for this one trouble is kick of here is 23:00

After a hard days work starting at 05:20 I might have to set the alarm clock for 22:50 to wake up in time.

We should beat the Macams but I have said we should beat every team we have played this year so I have probably been moe wrong than right. Lawro has predicted a 1 - 0 Sunderland win so that’s a good thing I think?

1 Like

OK - let’s be positive - we’re gonna win!!!

Off to bed now. … Night night

:lou_lol: