T20 Final England v West Indies

Could see it in his eyes as Morgan was talking to him before he started his last over. Fear.

You could see on camera during his previous overs, Ben was absolutely dripping with sweat from the stifling humid conditions. A few of his earlier atrocious deliveries were clearly the result of the ball simply slipping from his grip as he let go.

I knew as the camera zoomed in on him as he began his run up for the first of those fateful four deliveries, that he was gonna crumble. He just had no confidence in his ability to get a slippery ball where he wanted it. And with the amount of pressure on his young shoulders, the fear of failure consumed him.

I really feel for the lad. He was devastated, even before the final ball. Inconsolable after it.

Heā€™ll bounce back, Iā€™m sure. Despite todayā€™s shocker, he has plenty of character.

Absolutely fucking gutted. :lou_sad:

1 Like

Nineteen required from the final over, with a lower-order batsman on strike. In these circumstances, the pressure is all on the bowler and the fielding side. The batsman simply needs a good eye and a considerably better nerve; if he fails then nobody will blame him. After all, nineteen off an over is a big ask for a proper batsman, even in this short form of the game - for a bowler who can bat itā€™s massive. So, in many respects, Braithwaiteā€™s job was the easier one.

That said, Stokes should have been able to deliver the ball in places where Braithwaite wouldnā€™t have a hope of scoring sixes - yorker length, on or just outside off stump isnā€™t easy to hit, and Iā€™m not sure how happy Braithwaite would have been facing a well-directed bouncer. Of the four deliveries Stokes bowled, three were half-volleys outside leg stump, the other a half-volley on middle. Easy for me to say of course, but maybe trying something different - bowlling round the wicket to change the angle, perhaps - might have been a good bet.

So yeah, he choked. But heā€™s a brilliant player and Iā€™m sure heā€™ll have the strength to get over it and even learn from it. I certainly hope so.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Jack-Schitt

Could this be our year? Potentially the most exciting young England side weā€™ve had for a long while. :lou_lol:

If someone could please be good enough to arrange for my immediate assassination, Iā€™d be most grateful.

Iā€™m too selfish to do so myself. :lou_facepalm_2:

I felt sorry for him yesterday.

But today I wake up thinking, how the hell can you bowl four balls that can be hit for six?

One jobā€¦

1 Like

Could this be our year? Potentially the most exciting young England side weā€™ve had for a long while. :lou_lol:

If someone could please be good enough to arrange for my immediate assassination, Iā€™d be most grateful.

Iā€™m too selfish to do so myself. :lou_facepalm_2:

I feel sorry for you but topping yourself is the cowardā€™s way out. I think you should man-up and take all the Schitt coming to you.

1 Like

Originally posted by lifeintheslowlane

I feel sorry for you but topping yourself is the cowardā€™s way out. I think you should man-up and take all the Schitt coming to you.

Lol. Nooo, I have no intention of 'topping myself" mate. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: That is the problem. Iā€™m too selfish, and I enjoy my life.

The ā€œassassinationā€ I implored for was for all of your own sakes, who might actually like to see us win something again in our lifetimes ā€“ and which my stupid temptations of fate to deliver otherwise seem to keep interfering with.

The suggestion being ā€“ if you want to see a successful England Cricket side, youā€™ll probably need to have me bumped off, as Iā€™m an incurable optimist.

1 Like

As an aside, the domestic T20 finals day remains one of the best cricket days / weekends out ever. Two semis followed by a final, bars open at 10am and play usually finishes just before 10pm. Enough to forget any England failings.

1 Like

Being there when Hampshire won that home T20 day was a recent sporting highlight, especially as I was just underneath a section of roofing when it pissed down.

2 Likes

RB very jealous. Saw that on TV only. Been to the last two finals at Edgbaston - great days out but Hants of course failed to perform. Will be buying tickets again this year and hoping third time lucky.

Anyone else got that bloody ā€œI just wanna be close to youā€ jingle still stuck in their head? :lou_angry: