The 2016 SO5 dead hard 100% Saints prize Christmas quiz!

If you’re bored over the holidays a reminder that this top Saints quiz is still live. Wonderful prizes can be won (just not here)

Response so far has been er, slow. Maybe the real Saints fans are still over on Steveweb…

PM me your answers- winner announced on the 30th

Right - the answers

1 - Apart from the 1976 FA Cup final, what is the game with the largest crowd to witness a Saints victory? (2 points - opponents, season) **The 75,408 that watched the win at Old Trafford last season **

2 - Where did Ricky Lambert score his 100th league goal for Saints? (Clue - not St.Mary’s. 2 points for opponent/ground and season) In the 3-0 win at **** Fulham, 2013-14

3 - Who, in 2003-04, was the first player to represent Scotland in a full international while a Saints player since 1948? (1 point) Neil McCann - to be followed by Quashie, Crainey and Fox. When did Scotland stop producing decent players?

4 - Who has made most substitute appearances for SFC in league football? (1 point) **MLT, with 66, but JWP is on 64. **

5 - How many managers did Saints have in each of the 1970s/1980s/1990s/2000s/2010s (so far)? (Permanent appointments only, so not Dave Bassett, Denis Wise, Jason Dodd etc. 5 points) 2/2/6/12/5

6 - How many goalkeepers have made more appearances for SFC than Kelvin Davis? A) Postwar and B) ever? (2 points) A - none, B - one, Tommy Allen in the 1920s

7 - In how many of the 90 seasons we’ve played since joining the Football League in 1920 have we shared a division with our fishy friends down the M27? (2 points if exactly right, 1 if out by one) 1920-22,1924-27, 1960-61, 1962-66, 1974-76, 1987-88, 2003-05, 2011-12 - so 16

8 - Our best season was 1983-84, coming second in the league and losing in the FA cup semi-final (sob). But the team did win a trophy that season - what was it? (1 point) I gave points for the Celta Vigo tournament, which I’d forgotten about, but the one I was thinking of was the Daily Express Five-A-Side Cup! Sotonian five a siders - Bletch, Ant, Goat, Rallyboy, Fowllyd - how do you fancy facing Shilton, Holmes, Williams, Worthington & Wallace? Now, never mind then

9 - Two members of the 1976 cup winning team also made appearances at Wembley ten years earlier - who, and in what capacity? (4 points) Jim McCalliog played, scored and lost in the FA cup final for Sheff Wed v Everton; David Peach was a ballboy in the World Cup final

10 - In European competitions (sob again) Saints have played 17 clubs from 16 countries - what’s the country where we’ve played two of their clubs? (2 points - country; and both clubs) **Portugal - Vitoria Guimares in the Fairs Cup of 1969-70, Sporting Lisbon in the UEFA cup of 1981-82 **

11 - In the sleeve notes for the Artful Dodger album ‘It’s All About the Stragglers’ which two Saints players are named in the ‘thanks to…’ list? (2 points - wouldn’t recommend buying the album to find out)

Matt Oakley and James Beattie were hanging with the artistes during the height of the Soton music scene

12 - finally, one to really separate the old lags from the rest - what was 1970s goalkeeper Eric Martin’s pre-kick-off routine, practiced in front of the Milton Road end at the Dell, towards the West Stand? (Only 1 point, sadly)

A steward would stand on the touch line near the players’ entrance. Eric would get the training balls used in the kick-in and attempt to throw, nay hurl, them into a sack held by the steward, with the crowd shouting ‘encouragement’. He was surprisingly accurate actually. Pre-match entertainment? - you kids don’t know you’re born…

3 Likes

And the **winner ** is **Let’s Be Drinking ** with a mighty 21/25. (Second **Goatboy ** with 11 1/2)

claim your prize at a Sotonians drink

2 Likes

Congrats Letsbe and good work SO5. Was a toughy.

1 Like

I thought I had more time!

I’d saved my answers to the first 6 (well I’d skipped 5), but I only got McCann and Fulham correct so I’m glad I didn’t trouble the scorers.

Congratulations to Letsbe - let me know when you claim your liquid prize - I might make it to a drinks that weekend.

As for playing 5-a-side against the Daily Express Five-a-Side Cup winners, well the RaleighBoy and I are both out for the foreseeable - sharing a groin strain, Goat’s alabaster ankles mean he can’t get insured, Flyd’s only any use at using his face to save the ball when in goal and ant ran.

Thus conclusion is brought to a thread with some promise, executed poorly and moderated with consistency.

In many ways this place reminds me of the village in the Vicar of Dibley.

2 Likes

Cheers SO5. I did have a drink or 2 with “Artful Dodger” before they were (in)famous, but I couldn’t be arsed to buy their toilet product.

I witnessed Saints winning the Daily Express 5 a side, but that was in 1971. The team then was Martin, Gabriel, Paine, Channon and Stokes.

They could probably still beat Beltch and Fouled, with one missing.

2 Likes